Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain-Obvious
Aug 19, 2003

by Livestock
Directed by: Brent Hanley
Starring: Matthew McConaughey, Bill Paxton

Given the amazing quality of the script, the masterful cinematography, and top notch cast for a horror film, I am always surprised at how underappriciated this movie was. This is one of those movies that is much much better to see if you know nothing about the story (as I did), but here's a bare bones synopsis:

The movie is about two young boys, Fenton and Adam, who live with their father. He is a car mechanic, and a loving and caring single father. All seems well and happy, until one morning the father wakes his frightened children up in the middle of the night. He tells his children that God has visited him in the night and told him that the world will end soon, and that he has been chosen to hunt demons on earth.

The youngest son is convinced his father is right, and the older things he is going insane. Soon the father is taking his boys with him to "hunt demons", by driving to random people's homes who's names come to him in his sleep, abducting them, and murdering them. As the oldest son continues to think his father is insane, the conflict arises of the father's internal struggle between his duty to serve God, and his love of his son.

Believe me when I say this is the first movie in a long time to truly chill me. Bill Paxton plays the loving everydad, and as he loses his grip on the reality his oldest son sees, it is so much scarier, because he believes in his heart he is right to do what he's doing. I could type ten paragraphs on the brilliant acting and storyline that this movie takes, but I would end up spoiling it. GO SEE IT.

For those of you who like your horror/thriller movies realistic, and ACTUALLY somewhat thrilling and frightening, check this out. For serious.

RATING: 5

PROS: Awesome storyline, incredible character development
CONS: Some might think that the ending leaves a few too many questions unanswered

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0264616/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angstacy69
Feb 28, 2004
NOT PART OF THE HARMONY.
I wasn't very impressed with the story. The twist ending wasn't surprising and I had guessed it about 20 minutes into the film. Don't read the spoiler or the movie will be spoiled.

most "twist" endings in movies these days are usually OMG the guy telling the story is really the bad guy, no way, man! OR wow the person that no clues lead to really is a bad person because the writers can't have you guessing who it is before the amazing unveiling! I'll let you guess what happens.

The movie wasn't horrible like Battlefield Earth or Abraxas so I'll give it a 2.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
Great, creepy movie with excellent performances by Bill Paxton as the religious nut dad, and the two kids. Bill Paxton can direct? Since when?
Also I am now a big Powers Boothe fan. I liked him in the movie, and he has a kickass name.

4.5/5

DallyDrake
Jun 18, 2004

by Ozma
Loved it... one of 2 movies to actually creep me out recently.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
I was also rather unimpressed. The cinematography was noteworthy but I didn't think it was all there in writing or tension. I also didn't find it thrilling or frightening at all. The only emotion it really invoked in me was disgust at the message of the ending, which justifies the bombing of abortion clinics and the murder of innocent people based on the voices in your head. If you're a pentecostal nut maybe you'll like it.

2/5, I can kill 'cuz in God I trust.

Edit - I find it against the spirit of this forum to not mention the ending or the message it preaches, as it and the worst thing about the movie. For an unrelated fantasy example, if someone filmed a Holocaust movie where, in the last five minutes of the film, we found out the Jews were all evil and Hitler was a hero I think you'd all want to know about it before you went into the movie. That's not something you can avoid mentioning.

Knight fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Aug 25, 2004

ClumsyThief
Sep 11, 2001

I enjoyed this movie until the end, at which point you get the idea that that the father was right all along.

Ignoring that, I found it to be an enjoyable movie. The idea that a father could force his children to experience his own hallucinations is pretty creepy in itself.

3.5/5.5

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

quote:

ClumsyThief came out of the closet to say:
Movie ruining post.

quote:

Knight came out of the closet to say:
Movie ruining post.

Thanks, forum rule readers!

This movie does lead you down a path, and it does mislead you on what path you are on. There are a few blindingly obvious clues as to what path you are on near the beginning of the film, but you won't notice them your first time through unless you are an overanalyzer. The film tells its story very well, and Bill Paxton shines as a director (Brent Hanley wrote it, not directed).

I will say nothing more about the plot because discovering it for yourself is much of the enjoyment in this film.

4.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quaker69
Jul 3, 2004

Four measures of cheap Vodka combined with a bottle of Bawls
Lipstick Apathy
I remember thinking the movie would be garbage when i saw the trailer on tv. My english teacher mentioned it being much better than he expected, so i watched it on HBO one day.(several times since too) Was pleasantly surprised. The "twist" didnt do a whole lot for me, as did the irony with the father.

voted: 4.5