Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
Directed by: Jonathan Frakes
Starring: Ben Kingsley, Bill Paxton

Hollywood is scraping the wood splinters from the bottom of the barrel with a live-action Thunderbirds. It was that show from the 60s with the puppets and the spaceship that everyone kind-of, sort-of knew about but nobody actually watched. Anyways, it's been adapted, I suppose, because maybe they figure some of the original audience is still cognizant enough to go to movies between bingo games and drooling sessions.

I mean, I honestly don't understand who this is supposed to appeal to. The oldsters that watched the original show have either moved on and don't give a poo poo anymore, or will bitch because it doesn't live up to the original series. Kids won't like it because it's too talky without being stimulating. There's a dearth of comic mayhem and pratfalls and fart jokes. I guess the wacky Stuttering Scientist might be sort of funny if you were infantile and on a day-long Milk Dud binge.

And everymen like me? I just thought it was another common indication of how Hollywood thinks that all it takes to ring registers is a old property painted over with a bucket of cliches. It's all so pat--the characters, the story, the effects. Whatever appeal there was of the original show was wrung out, leaving nothing but a vapid, unoriginal plea for dollars from the unkepmt pop-culture geeks who still care about this property.

RATING: 1

PROS: fart
CONS: Dull, nauseating rehash for a non-existant audience

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0167456/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grayrobot
Jul 20, 2002

colour malfunction
In agreement with everything you mentioned, bear in mind that the movie is supposed to be good *because* it sucks.

It's like those retro glasses those scenester guys wear, or that betty paige haircut on their fat girlfriends. It's an intentional bad, because the original show was intentional bad, thus actually crossing the boundary back to good.

Where would we be if Evil Dead 2 was never made? Evil Dead the original took itself too seriously and thus it tanked, but once the cheese was laid on thick in the second version - it was golden.

The thunderbirds original series included such bad writing, that they could only get the 1930's radiodrama style of bullshit to fly by using puppets. Once they did that the show was an instant cult classic. I have the DVD's and enjoy them because it's just entertainment. This is all you can expect from the live action bill paxton version of a puppet character.

If you didn't like this movie, you took it too seriously.
Just one robot's $.02

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
Wasn't terrible, I only watched it for the rescuing and ships, which there was sadly a bit of a lack of, considering it was the Thunderbirds.

Needed less kiddies and more *proper* Thunderbirds.

Pros: The ships looked pretty awesome
Cons: 'its time to Thunderize' nuff said

Fancy Car
Aug 29, 2003

fill the tank full of shit posts and goatse every 3000 miles

quote:

grayrobot came out of the closet to say:
In agreement with everything you mentioned, bear in mind that the movie is supposed to be good *because* it sucks.

It's like those retro glasses those scenester guys wear, or that betty paige haircut on their fat girlfriends. It's an intentional bad, because the original show was intentional bad, thus actually crossing the boundary back to good.

Where would we be if Evil Dead 2 was never made? Evil Dead the original took itself too seriously and thus it tanked, but once the cheese was laid on thick in the second version - it was golden.

The thunderbirds original series included such bad writing, that they could only get the 1930's radiodrama style of bullshit to fly by using puppets. Once they did that the show was an instant cult classic. I have the DVD's and enjoy them because it's just entertainment. This is all you can expect from the live action bill paxton version of a puppet character.

Just one robot's $.02

I get what you're saying, but I went in expecting kitch and I wasn't entertained.

In fact, it's just a bad movie.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

quote:

grayrobot came out of the closet to say:
There's good kitsch and there's bad kitsch. When the film tries to elbow you in the ribs every five seconds hard enough to rupture kidneys and goes "HA! ISN'T THAT TRENDY AND IRONIC THAT WE'RE DOING THIS?" in your ear with a bullhorn, it's bad kitsch.