Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
MovieCamera
Sep 11, 2001

Insert witty generic title text here

quote:

SenatorIvy came out of the closet to say:
Is there no one who can give a hint as to what is in the safe? If it's from quite a long time ago (war era) I would assume it was a small amount of reserve dough for when the commies took over.
Maybe some old silver certificate dollar bills? I found a portion of them when I cleaned out my fireplace in my old house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaybird
Sep 30, 2003

by Lowtax
Do the thingy from that movie starring whats his face. Drill a hole on the top. Then buy a water pressure thing. Get a friend who is a plumber (or spend some money at home depot, and get their advice) and rig up something so when the water wand is turned on, the water goes into the hole in the safe, and is sealed in there. If you leave it running until it is full, and some, the door should fly off like magic. Im sure you could rent the water pressure thing, as long as your water in valve ( the thing you are gonna rig up) wont permanently wreck it.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Shukoroshi
Feb 17, 2004
Slackmaster General
I'd say negative to the explosives. I had a neighbor whos grandfather was a bit of a nut. They considered opening a safe with a torch. Thank god they drilled it. When they opened it, it was full of grenades and ammo and poo poo.

Shuko

Monkey Lincoln
Dec 1, 2001
gumshoe

My wacko brother can't pull it off, because he's an idiot, I can't bring it to my water tower, because it weighs as much as my car, and I don't think it's watertight enough to pump it full of water till it explodes.The friend of my moter was 5 times my size, but luckily he's in jail for fraud or something. I guess that was just soming to do while he lived in my house.

I jammed a screwdriver into the hole in the front, and a whole bunch of filings came out. Whatever's straight down that holy is pretty messed up, so it looks like I'm going with cutting/drilling method, as all explosives that'd work are alonf the lines of C4 and Nitro, which I don't want anything to do with.

Maybe I'll put an M-80 in it for fun.

EvilKosh: I wish Monkey John Wilkes Booth would shoot you.

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie
I want to know what's inside!!! Go Monkey Lincoln!!! and take a lot of pictures!

Ultramega OK
May 14, 2003

I'm a Catholic, I can feel guilty about anything.

quote:

Monkey Lincoln came out of the closet to say:
Maybe I'll put an M-80 in it for fun.
Yay for exploding shrapnel!

Whatever you do, make sure you take pictures of what's inside. Maybe you'll come across some Cold War-era food rations or canned water!

sH_
Jun 4, 2004

by Ozma
I think it's empty. Who would leave gold in a house like that?
PS: Share the wealth if you open it (no spiders please)

----------------

sH_ fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 3, 2004

dzarc
Jul 3, 2004

Stupid Newbie

quote:

jaybird came out of the closet to say:
Do the thingy from that movie starring whats his face. Drill a hole on the top. Then buy a water pressure thing. Get a friend who is a plumber (or spend some money at home depot, and get their advice) and rig up something so when the water wand is turned on, the water goes into the hole in the safe, and is sealed in there. If you leave it running until it is full, and some, the door should fly off like magic. Im sure you could rent the water pressure thing, as long as your water in valve ( the thing you are gonna rig up) wont permanently wreck it.

Robert De Niro and Edward Norton in "The Score"

Deckard Cain
Nov 23, 2003

by OMGWTFBBQ
Heres a little trick I picked up last summer.
Get a rifle, preferrably .308 or larger, and put the muzzle right up to the lock, I mean airtight right up. Fire it, works every time.

----------------

Monkey Lincoln
Dec 1, 2001
gumshoe

Alright, day one, drilling.

I swung by a friends house to borrow a big drill, and swung by Home depot for some Metal drill bits. My plan was to drill out whatever was in the main cylinder column that was keeping me from spinning the cylinders. then it was a matter of drilling a hole to look inside it and undo the latch. As my expectations dictated, this plan failed. Behold me drilling into the dial hole of the safe.

Now, behold once again as the crap rear end bit shatters inside the thing.

Alright, out of luck there. New plan: Drill holes in the front of it till I cam hammer out some sort of opening and take a peek inside. I mean, why go through all that trouble if there's inevitably going to be nothing (Spiders) in it? So, I marked my holes like the precision craftsman I am, and went to town.

One hole at 6 o'clock and one at 9 o'clock sucessfully made. I was partly into 12 0'clock when wtire stuff stared to come out instead of metal. It was gritty and seemed a bit like plaster. Oh well, nothing Bosch can't handle.

Roadblock #193: The drill starts to wobble halfway through the 3 o'clock hole, and explodes (Read: EXPLODES) all over the place. I believe a small piece of it actually got stuck in the cieling. My eyes were fine, amazingly, but I'm left with my other 7/18th bit broken.

Looks like this saga will continue in a day or two when I go buy more drill bits.
Also, I've been informed by my mother that she did at one time call a locksmith, who said he could open it in it's current condition for $50, when is far less than I was planning on spending, but where's the fun in that?

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
Have at it!

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh
I've done one of these before. When I bought my current house, there was a safe in the basement that the current owners couldn't open, couldn't move and didn't know the contents of. It was listed as part of the sale of the house, contents unknown. They had paid a neighborhood kid to attempt to break into it, but he only managed to break the dial and handle off.

You will not be able to just open the door by attacking the hinges, but I do recommend you drill-out the pins. The white powder stuff is a type of cement, it may contain asbestos, wear proper ventilation equipment. Your safe's contruction is basically a sandwich of steel, asbestos/cement, and steel. What you must do to open this safe is to take an angle grinder and cut the majority of the face of the steel door out, then break up the cement with a hammer. You will now have full-access to the locking mechanism. You should be able to pull it out, as well as the lock-pins setting the door into the frame of the safe. Open the door and be attacked by spiders.

PS: I found a collection of old bills and coins with a face value over $400. Some of these bills included silver certificates from the late 1800's.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Aug 3, 2004

sH_
Jun 4, 2004

by Ozma
That white stuff is cement, duder!
Get a masonry bit and go to town!

----------------

already is
Jul 13, 2004
can't you move it and drillthe hinges out?

already is
Jul 13, 2004

quote:

trouser chili came out of the closet to say:
I've done one of these before. When I bought my current house, there was a safe in the basement that the current owners couldn't open, couldn't move and didn't know the contents of. It was listed as part of the sale of the house, contents unknown. They had paid a neighborhood kid to attempt to break into it, but he only managed to break the dial and handle off.

You will not be able to just open the door by attacking the hinges, but I do recommend you drill-out the pins. The white powder stuff is a type of cement, it may contain asbestos, wear proper ventilation equipment. Your safe's contruction is basically a sandwich of steel, asbestos/cement, and steel. What you must do to open this safe is to take an angle grinder and cut the majority of the face of the steel door out, then break up the cement with a hammer. You will now have full-access to the locking mechanism. You should be able to pull it out, as well as the lock-pins setting the door into the frame of the safe. Open the door and be attacked by spiders.

PS: I found a collection of old bills and coins with a face value over $400. Some of these bills included silver certificates from the late 1800's.

drat, you know a shitload more about safes than I do.

godzirraRAWR
Sep 11, 2003

godzirra will trample your scrotum
Make sweet, sweet love to it until it opens its heart to you in gratitude.

Once it does that REACH IN AND RIP ITS GODDAMNED GUTS OUT WITH A PAIR OF PLIERS

Main Offender
Jul 27, 2004

Jesus Cunt
Maybe it contains the holy grail, I can't wait to see whats inside!

fist4jesus
Nov 24, 2002
Facinated.
Subscribing.

XXX Dubber
May 21, 2004

by elpintogrande
See if there is a place near you that you can rent a plasma cutter that may help.

----------------

SpdrZero
Apr 28, 2004

Where am I going?
I definatly want to know what happens with this safe. I'm sure it's those gold bars. Try to video record anything you do, watching the drill bit break, or the door blow open would be awesome. Definatly subscribing.

quadpus
May 15, 2004

aaag sheets

quote:

oxling came out of the closet to say:
How Stuff Works has an article on safe-cracking. A lot of it is how to deduce combinations, but here is the page that talks about drilling it open.

How Safe Cracking Works, page 9

There are multiples pages of that, including pages on torching and explosives.
(Subscribed)

good link:

howstuffworks posted:

When drilling a safe, the thing safecrackers have to bear in mind is that even the smallest mistake could damage the safe beyond any hope of opening it at all.

LOL

Dolex
May 5, 2001

I wish I had a secret safe.

Subscribed.

Fishhook
Jul 15, 2004

The specter of me reflected

quote:

psychicattack came out of the closet to say:
:( Did you learn nothing from Geraldo?

Beaten! (that was the first thing that came to my mind)

telloc
May 20, 2001

cult of personality
Subscribed for tresure! :pirate:

Char: "When you frown your eyes give you a piercing icy stare, when you grin they give the grin an evil tint"

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

quote:

When I moved into my current house 7 years ago, there were a few things that were a bit off. Wires running around that didn't leady anywhere, vents in the ground that didn't lead anywhere, light switches to nothing, stuff like that. One thing that was left here was a big rear end safe.

See, to me this all adds up to Secret Underground Lair of Mad Scientist or Spy under your house.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001

quote:

Looks like this saga will continue in a day or two when I go buy more drill bits.
Also, I've been informed by my mother that she did at one time call a locksmith, who said he could open it in it's current condition for $50, when is far less than I was planning on spending, but where's the fun in that?
You'd better spring for the titanium or diamond ones, otherwise you'll be buying new drill bits all week.

Personally I would get a diamond tipped buzz-saw blade and mount it on a skilsaw. If you run that around the door seam cutting all the door bolts then you should be able to get the door to just fall out onto your foot, resulting in expensive hospital bills.

And of course there's nothing living inside the drat safe. It's just ghosts that you have to worry about.

[nt]

Panglor
Jan 26, 2001

by OMGWTFBBQ
1. Tie heavy chains to it
2. Attach chains to truck trailer hitch
3. Drag down road, country road is best, and turn corners, smacking it into things
4. Profit

This is also how we get rid of old furniture in Alabama, except we don't tie it to the truck with chains, we just let it fall out on corners...

----------------

t0m_and_St3v3n
Feb 3, 2002

quote:

Panglor came out of the closet to say:
1. Tie heavy chains to it
2. Attach chains to truck trailer hitch
3. Drag down road, country road is best, and turn corners, smacking it into things
4. Profit

This is also how we get rid of old furniture in Alabama, except we don't tie it to the truck with chains, we just let it fall out on corners...

Alabama actually sounds kind of cool now.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

quote:

phatmonky came out of the closet to say:

drat, you know a shitload more about safes than I do.

This is only from experience with a similar safe, although physical security (and the breaking it) is a hobbie of mine.

Anyway, I took some pictures of my safe. As it's too heavy to move from my basement I still have it today.

Here she is as she sits today.

Here is the destroyed face of the door resting next to the safe. As you can see the door face is bent, twisted and cut in several places. You'll also note that the face contains the hinges. Hence my suggestion to remove the pins.

Here is the backside of the door. Between this and the face of the door was the asbestos-cement, as well as the lock mechanism itself. It's hard to see in this picture, but the back-side of the door is about 4 inches deep. That's alot of asbestos cement! You'll also note that the frontside and backside of the door can only be joined along the edges. Once you eliminate that bond (by cutting inside the borders for example) you'll have complete access to the cement, which will break apart easily enough.

Here be spiders! Or in my case TREASURE!

This is the mechanism as I found it in the door. This is the side that faces outward. You can see the two holes for the dial and the handle. As well as the two pins that held the once complete door tight.

This is the backside of the lock mechanism. It is in the unlocked position. There are three copper dials in that stack, each with a notch cut-out. When the notches align in the right place, the lock pins can slide back.

I'll get some pictures of my treasure if anyone is interested. But currently it's all locked up tight somewhere around here.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Aug 3, 2004

Monkey Lincoln
Dec 1, 2001
gumshoe

quote:

trouser chili came out of the closet to say:
Here she is as she sits today.

Judging by the wheel base, position of the handle and whatnot, hinges and it's proportion, that looks like it's exactly the same safe, in which case it doesn't look like I'm getting through that 6" wall any time soon. I'll give the drill thing another shot, but I think I'ma have to call a locksmith if I want it actually open.

Monkey Lincoln fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 3, 2004

einTier
Sep 25, 2003

Charming, friendly, and possessed by demons.
Approach with caution.
I once had to crack open a pay telephone.

Well, I didn't have to, but it sure seemed like a good idea at the time.

BACKSTORY: A roommate stole the pay phone in question. From where and how, I don't know. It sat in our dorm room for the better part of a year, and worked fine hooked up to the phone line. You could answer calls with it, and for a quarter, you could even make calls out. We were always pestered by the sound of loose change inside it, and the fact that nearly everyone told us that payphones have ungodly amounts of change inside them (like a few hundred bucks worth). So, one night, low on beer money and drunk as gently caress, we decided to crack it open. The plan was to destroy the safe part and leave the rest intact.

It didn't happen quite that way. We started with some heavy industrial tools. My crazy psycho girlfriend at the time went and stole us a ton of metal carbide drill bits. We made so much noise drilling into the lock box that we were heard in neighboring halls. It was an RA from another hall that came to see what all the commotion was about.

Luckily, we had stopped drilling about two minutes prior, and the RA couldn't figure out which room the noise had come from. We also had really cool floormates that just denied knowning anything at all. We ended up putting the phone in a military duffel bag and bringing it to my girlfriend's apartment. Why this seemed like a better idea, I don't know.

It was here that we really brought all our force to bear. In retrospect, we were very lucky the police were never called, as it sounded like a drat construction crew had taken up residence in the apartment and were destroying the very foundations. After chewing through about ten drill bits and an angle grinder and a circular saw blade, we were still no closer to opening the lockbox. The box was damaged, yes, but far from broken. There was a nice large hole in the front, enough that we could tell we'd shattered the lock, but not large enough to retract the pins or shake the coins out. We could see the coins, and the hole was big enough to put your finger in, but the door still refused to budge. Out came the sledgehammer.

We wailed on that phone for probably the better part of a half hour, and nothing. Well, it was battered but far from broken. The door was loose by this time, but still quite securely fastened. By this time, our original intent was long forgotten, and cracking the phone open by any means possible became the real goal. We drove the phone to the college football stadium. We snuck in past the gate and carried it all the way to the top. And dropped it. Over and over again. There were four of us there, and we each took a turn bringing it up, tossing it over, running down, and picking up the (hopefully shattered) remains.

By now the phone had reached a point that it was never, ever going to work again, but still would not release the pirate treasure we were sure was inside. We pressed onward, but the phone refused to yield. Around 2am, we were ready to concede defeat and we were worried that the police would be by any time now.

As a final, last ditch effort, we drove all the way out to one guy's family farm. It was here that the payphone met its final demise. The guy's grandfather had quite the collection of wood splitters, so we took turns putting them in the crack of the door and hitting them with the sledgehammer. Slowly, but surely, the lockbox cracked open.

It had less than $10 inside.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

How thick is the door plate? If it's pretty thin then you should be able to cut it with a decent circular saw\tungsten blade. If it's cored with concrete\asbestos then I wouldn't have thought the outer plate would be that thick, certainly nothing modern power tools can't handle as that safe looks pretty old.

Edit: What I mean is cut a square out of the door, then knock out the concrete like Trouser Chili suggested. Just don't apply too much force the the saw when you're using it as that increases the likelihood of it breaking (the same applies to drill bits as well).

Powerful Two-Hander fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Aug 3, 2004

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Just drop it from a really high place, or roll it down a hill into a brick wall :killdozer:

DaRushNBoy
Jul 20, 2004

by Ozma
Wouldnt a blowtorch do the trick? Wouldnt it just melt the metal making is for easier access?

----------------

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

quote:

DaRushNBoy came out of the closet to say:
Wouldnt a blowtorch do the trick? Wouldnt it just melt the metal making is for easier access?

No. It is filled with asbestos/cement after the metal. You may be able to cut the metal, scrape out the cement, then cut it again.

Marx
Oct 24, 2003

This was the greatest day of my life. Finally I could stand on my soapbox and tell you American scum that you got exactly what you deserved.
P.S. Sorry Osama that Americans were not compassionate enough to take you in peacefully. You deserved better.
Heat metal with blowtorch, hit with pickaxe, repeat.

:q:

Hudson
Jun 1, 2004

Beneath the surface lies the future.
Take an axe or whatever else would do the trick, and get rid of all that wood surrounding the iron. Maybe it will expose a weakness of some kind.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler
Would you be able to get a sawz-all in there with a metal cutting blade and go nuts? That or a circular saw with a carbon blade.

Edit: If you do get drill bits, get a cobalt one. They hold up well to high pressure/heat. They're expensive, but they work.

DAT RAM fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Aug 4, 2004

Veen
Oct 26, 2003

Just the tip!
Trouser Chili has the idea here. Slowly disable the door, by removing the hinges and using the aid of a wood splitter and sledgehammer if needed. After that, break away the concrete. There will be a lot, but it will yield.

As for the "will never open again" warning from How Stuff Works, that's if you want to keep the safe operative. If you just want to crack it open and use it for a doorstop later, it's pretty easy. It's time consuming, and hard labor, and frustrating, but the concept is simple enough on something that old.

Newer ones are even more of a pain, but most of the same ideas still apply. One piece at a time, keep peeling them away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaybird
Sep 30, 2003

by Lowtax
I can't wait to find out that there is already a hole in the side of it, and that is the reason for the wooden shell.

----------------