Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bloated Pussy
Jun 9, 2002

dont read my posts
Directed by: Jon Amiel
Starring: Aaron Eckhart, Hilary Swank

The Core is an absolutely terrible movie that I would still recommend seeing because it's hilariously bad. You will laugh out loud several times during the movie if you have any knowledge of computers, science, or basic electronics. A space shuttle crashing into a riverbed that's narrower than the ship is corrected by "calculating the L/D"; a door mechanism's electronics has a breadboard in plain view; the term "T1 connection" is used in reference to a powerful internet connection; the phrase "hack the planet" is used alongside some of the worst simulated computer OS graphics ever seen in a movie... and on, if you're a nerd, this movie will make you laugh.

Other than that: an over-acted somewhat generic disaster movie released 5+ years after the peak in interest in these movies. All the good natural disasters are taken, so The Core makes a ridiculous one up. Once they figure out how to drill down the core, they've got to come up with some bullshit obstacles that just get more and more ludicrous as the movie goes on. They try (and fail) to establish a larger plot involving a secret government weapons project, but it only gets enough screen time to convey the simplistic (and out of place) Dr.-Strangeloveish "arms races are bad" message.

How much chaos do you think a flock of pigeons temporarily losing their navigation abilities would cause? A few broken windows? Perhaps an unlucky bystander getting a concussion? In The Core this event leads to multiple casualites and a whole lot of car crashes.

There's so much ridiculous stuff in The Core that I really, really was hoping it had a sense of humor about itself. But it doesn't, at all. It's clear from the closeup on a young child's emotional distress over the crazy pigeon fiasco that The Core is serious, and that makes it all the more hilarious.

Like I said, I'd recommend it, but not for the reasons the filmmakers intended. So I can't give it a good rating, but if you at all enjoy lovely, lovely sci-fi and retarded physics, then see The Core.

RATING: 1.0

PROS: So retarded it's hilarious
CONS: ... but it's still retarded.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0298814/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I loving lost it with laughter when they came OUT OF THE SHIP at like 500,000 metres down.

Watch it with some physics geeks, you'll all laugh your asses off.

0.5/5

Duckjob
Aug 22, 2003
Pack 'n Save has everyday low prices
I watched this movie for my Geology project.

I was on the floor laughing at so many scientific inaccuracies, it’s just ridiculous. Watch this movie with physics geeks AND geology know-how’s and you’ll have yourselves a pop-corn comedy night.

1/5

Digital Night
Oct 22, 2002

quote:

The Walrus came out of the closet to say:
I loving lost it with laughter when they came OUT OF THE SHIP at like 500,000 metres down.

Watch it with some physics geeks, you'll all laugh your asses off.
Exactly. This is one of those movies you have to watch with your friends who actually understand physics to appreciate just how awful everything is. Watching it alone, I lost interest at the part where they came out of the ship far far beneath the earth's surface simply because I had no one else to laugh at this terrible movie with.

Rating: 1.0, view only when with your smarter friends

Rick James, M.D.
May 6, 2004
I wish I had more hands so I could give those titties four thumbs down!

quote:

The Walrus came out of the closet to say:
watch it with some physics geeks, you'll all laugh your asses off.

"SO YOU WANT ME TO HACK THE PLANET???"

0/5

S105
Aug 30, 2003

I'm so sorry.
Rated 1 for the shuttle crash sequence, the only cool part of the film.

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
I actually enjoyed this movie. Of course it was all rather ridiculous, but i didnt go in expecting a physics lecture. "My kung-fu is strong" - 4/5

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice

quote:

Digital Night came out of the closet to say:
Watching it alone, I lost interest at the part where they came out of the ship far far beneath the earth's surface simply because I had no one else to laugh at this terrible movie with.

Dude, they were wearing special suits to withstand the pressure. :) SPECIAL SUITS.

Yes, this is one of the dumbest movies to ever receive a major release. 1/5

Psyker
Jun 21, 2004

[Binge and] Purge the xenos!
The Earth's core has stopped! Let's jump in our experimental earth-ship (that we built in a month) to journey to the center of the earth!

Gxp
Jan 23, 2004

Son I'm afraid this is a stereo disaster.
"Oh my god...it's full of stars."
"NO WAIT THOSE ARE DIAMONDS THE SIZE OF JUPITER!"
"OMG LOL GO LEFT LOL"

1/5, because I love how the Captain had to make a "Leadership Decision" to Close the door so that one guy couldn't get through, then they watched him loving die an excruciating painful death over like 5 minutes, while at any time they could have opened the door to save him. But it's ok, she "had to".
The bubblegum wrapper "free cell for life" scene was quite overdone, but I do like the insults thrown at the puffed up geologist.

Actually, I think the writer's abysmal knowledge of even basic physics and geology makes this a 0.5/5.

Ben
Mar 18, 2001
IF YOU'RE CRIPPLED, DON'T COME TO MY GOON MEETS. I'LL TOSS YOUR CRUTCHES IN THE LAKE
This and Space Cowboys are the two most hilariously wrong "sci-fi" movies I've ever seen. It was all so absurd that I couldn't stop laughing. Worth seeing if only for the scene where pigeons fly (are thrown) into everything, pure comedy. Oh, and the movie is still absolute crap, just the kind of crap you laugh at.

Agent019
Jun 28, 2002
LOL, ONLY DUMB PEOPLE WORK AT MCDONALD'S
Get over yourself, douchebag.
Worth 4.99 when I picked it up. Sold it for the same price.

sidekickjon
Aug 6, 2004
we eat what we like
This entire movie was a rehash of Armageddon, but even worse than the original. Still, I would recommend renting this movie, getting really stoned, and watching the pigeons fly into everything. That takes place in the beginning of the movie, so you won't have to sit through all the bullshit. Worst movie that I have ever seen in a theatre. Hands down.

.5/5

The Jesus Fish
Nov 12, 2002
I love the movie but I love pretty much any terrible sci fi movie.

Deep Star Six represent.

4/5

Brahms
Apr 20, 2003

Variations on a theme of... something
I shamefully admit that I liked "The Core". The dialogue was so awful, but the actors all did such serious characterization - pretending they were doing some epic when all they had to work with was dreck made it all the more hilarious. The effects were sub-par, and obviously Isaac Newton is spinning in his grave, but hell, it was fun.

Also, the ending was terrible, and not in the "good bad" way the rest of the movie was terrible. Inexcusable tack-on.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
I'd heard this was super lovely. Then I had the misfortune to see Deep Core on HBO last week. I watched the Core yesterday and in comparison it was like Citizen loving Kane.

For sheer comedic value this movie is worth watching.

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May

quote:

Dr JonboyG came out of the closet to say:
I'd heard this was super lovely. Then I had the misfortune to see Deep Core on HBO last week. I watched the Core yesterday and in comparison it was like Citizen loving Kane.

For sheer comedic value this movie is worth watching.

Yes, but Deep Core has Wil Wheaton getting drowned in liquid hot magma. The Core has DJ Qualls hacking the planet. Deep Core wins.

dallas121979
Sep 5, 2004

Ok, so as far as the scientific inaccuracies go... how about the fact that they never lost radio contact? With the exception of loosing power on the bottom of the sea, somehow they were able to send radio waves through thousands of miles of rock... But I guess I shouldn't question it seeing as they have found a way to cut through rock with a laiser in seconds, not to mention seeing through lead, 8ft no less.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I am but an ignorant plebe when it comes to physics, so I had a much easier time ignoring the wrongness of The Core's "science".

But really, the only thing that makes this movie worth your time is the pigeons. They all go completely psychotic, slamming into buildings at nine thousand miles an hour, chasing people, everything but spontaneously combusting while screaming "KHAAAAAAAAN!" at the top of their tiny pigeon lungs.

The sheer randomness of the ten minutes of kamizake pigeons singlehandedly (singlebeakedly?) destroying London is impossible to describe.

Pigeons 5/5
Everything else 1/5 (I can't vote zero, the goofy hacker kid made me laugh a couple times. LOL XENA TAPES AND HOT POCKETS LOL)

the42ndtourist
Sep 6, 2004

A half-dead thing in the stark, dead world, clean mad for the muck called gold
this was a running joke in the geology department (at my uni - it's my major) for weeks before it even came out. It's spectacularly bad. And wrong, ever so wrong, about everything. The 'geode' somewhere in the depths of the mantle was certainly off. And where did the speed come from to circle the outer core so quickly?

at least they killed off most of the idiots.

a very highly rated 0/5. it's worthy of a Mystery Science Theatre 3000 episode.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

quote:

Brahms came out of the closet to say:
obviously Isaac Newton is spinning in his grave

At least we know what to happens if he stops, right?

But anyway, I found this film to be utter shite.

0.5/5

Pissflaps fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 21, 2004

Captain-Obvious
Aug 19, 2003

by Livestock
A truly awesome monument to the complete and utter contempt that Hollywood has for moviegoers, and the idea that they are not all 100% morons. 0.5.

I'd vote negatives if I could.

Tronnc
Sep 14, 2004

by elpintogrande
Never saw it but reading the review at the stupid movie physics site is good enough right?

Anyway for a hilarious read even for those who never saw the movie.

http://www.intuitor.com/moviephysics/core.html

dotti
Sep 7, 2002
Sometimes I say things...
I rented this from Netflix, despite getting bad reviews even from Netflix users (who are known for loving really bad movies), thinking it couldn't be that bad. Well, it is that bad. This really isn't a movie you can easily just "turn off your brain", it's just so stupid, for all the reasons listed above.

I give it a 1/5, only because there's a hot main character and some of the special effects are pretty.

Headhunter
Jun 3, 2003
One - You lock the target
Dear sweet loving jesus this film is bad. i can honestly say this is the worst film I've ever seen in my entire life. From the "unobtainium ship" to the "ZOMG SPECIAL SUITS", everything about this film is bad.

Weak plot, dire acting, characters you really couldn't give a gently caress about, a nerd who wants to hack the planet and kamikaze pidgons that destroy half of london.

Watch it only if you want to punish yourself, it's not even in the "so bad it's funny", it's just plain shite.

Snappy Zings
Feb 19, 2003
I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID TO DO A SIMPLE SEARCH OF THE FORUMS.
I seriously woke up the morning after watching this movie and thought that it was all just a badly directed, poorly acted dream. When I saw that it was a real movie, my mind did a total 180 and I died. This movie is so ridiculously awful that I came back from the dead to give it a bad rating in the Film Dump.

Kozilla
Sep 11, 2004
This movie was a complete waste of my time and the 15 dollars I spent to buy it on DVD. If you want to see an extremely bad movie this is what I would suggest. Everyone is saying that the technical inacuracies are hilarious but they just made me want to punch my tv screen.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Its great watching the special features on the DVD and watching how proud they all are of making this 'film'. I just can't beleive they took themselves so seriously.

FreonTrip
Nov 24, 2003
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]
From a scientific standpoint this is one of the most dreadful bags of crap to come shambling out of Hollywood since the 1950s. Characterizations are broad stereotypes, there are few to no surprises, and if you have a keen interest in any respectable scientific field this will peg your bullshit meter and then break it. Was worth seeing for 50 cents at a dollar theater special night, and there's a beaten up VHS copy I snagged for $3.00 in my video collection because it's a terrific film to watch with friends over a couple of beers. You might pee with laughter during certain key scenes, be forewarned.

Final rating: 1/5 stars

Bun Bun
Apr 7, 2002

Fear The Bunny
not the worst movie of all time, but its up there in the bottom 10. I don't mind that the science behind the movie is so bad it hurts, i dont mind the absurdity of the plot and what they are doing. Hell, i liked both Armaggedon and Day after Tomarrow, so sciencetific accuracy and a good movie do not have to go hand in hand here. What makes this movie especially bad are the characters. Everyone of them are weak, pathetic, stereotypical characters that when thrown together give you a weak, pathetic, streoetypical cast. There is no hope for a movie where you not only wish for every character to die in the movie but the actors who played them as well.
1/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Bore. The Snore. The Totally Implausible Paint-By-Numbers Hollywood Epic. This movie is almost artful in its use of every cliché in the book. Almost. Rating: 1.5