Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Niaccurshi
Apr 10, 2003

Infinite Crisis Death
Wild Guess #1010
:
Braniac "Indigo" 8.0
"Looks like someone's
trying to corrupt
t
Directed by: John Singleton
Starring: Omar Epps, Kristy Swanson, Michael Rapaport, Jennifer Connelly, Ice Cube

This was the first john Singleton film I watched...and while I deffinately rate Boyz N the Hood, I would put this film on a higher standing. While he tackled racial inequality and inter-racial feelings in Boyz N the Hood, he doesn't play it so much in Higher Learning. Instead he trades another film about racism and race issues to also tackle the journey into sexual life and sexuality, and generally plays much more on the issue of "people accepting people regardless of who they are".

It would be very easy to see this as another Racism, what with the neo-nazi group on campus but it is really much more about people of any race, sexuality, and background needing to learn to forget what they've learned about those not like them, and accept them.

I watched this film when I was 13 I think, too young for the age rating as far as I can tell, but I personally would say that at that time it was one of the most valuable films I could have watched in my development into adulthood. Parents, force your children to watch this film and give them a better chance at not being pricks. Unless of course that's illegal, in which case I didn't suggest it!

The acting throughout is solid. Michael Rapaport and Omar Epps are easily the standout's from the crowd, especially the former, but overall not much bad could be said about the acting, and certainly drew you in to the film all the way to its conclusion.

Some people complain that the conclusion was a bit too dramatic, and I can see where they are coming from, however I personally believe that it is pivotal to the roles of the characters involved.

Everyone should watch this movie, if not to open their minds a little, then only to hear Laurence Fishburn's first words in the film with a chuckle.

Oh and...yeah...jennifer connelly nekkidness...you perverts.

RATING: 5.5

PROS: Emotive Storyline, all round solid acting, ironic Laurence Fishburn first words
CONS: Not enough Jennifer Connelly boobs

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113305/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hellocruelworld
Feb 28, 2003

Dude, I See God!
This movie was one of the most unrealistic depictions of racial tensions I've ever seen on film. The film really gives no motives for the racism to exist except that "there are a bunch of no-good neo-nazis on campus that start a lot of trouble", unlike American History X, which paints a much more realistic path for one to become associated in that kind of extremism. This movie didn't feel much about race relations but more about black superiority. take for example, the scene where the neo-nazis that are about 5 times the size of the blacks are running away from them when it looks like they could easily fight them...that's bullshit...one thing I know about skinheads in real life is that they are very confrontational and certainly know how to fight... The film is just so ridiculously unbelievable and whether Singleton realizes it or not, instead of making a thoughtful film about racism or coming of age, he inadvertently makes a film that paints the black race as superior to whites.

Terrible film.

For a much more realistic view of racism, watch American History X...although that still has a few major flaws...it's a lot better than this trash.
1/5

roachfiend
Mar 5, 2002
Good lord, I hated this movie. Michael Rappaport's slack-jawed "I guess I'm a racist" coupled with Epps' "Well, you're white, so I guess you're a racist" and Connelly's "I guess I'm gay because I got raped" is ludicrous screenwriting at its finest.

Laurence Fishburne plays a decent minor role as the heavily accented wise adviser, but the rest of the movie is just retarded and painful to watch.

Singleton did much better with Boyz N the Hood.

1/5

Colossus
Mar 27, 2004
id like to echo the original review and sat this isnt a film so much about raciswm as it is about one young messed up guy who gets corrupted and the tragedy that ensues. i dont really gel with this idea about black superiority, because, not to give anything away, they contribute to the cycle of violence, not solve it.
Still I like ice cube in this movie, one of his better roles deinfately. and he actually mentions the IMF, which for a 90's movie never happens (then again it hardly happens now) . I love Kristy Swanson, and Jennifer Connelly, and um, better not spoil :)

abvout 3.5 out of 5