Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~
Directed by: Hatsuki Tsuji
Starring: Dan Green (voice of Yugi), Eric Stuart (voice of Kaiba)

Yu-Gi-Oh! The Movie is an unintentionally hilarious romp through the magical world of Duel Monsters, featuring the most horrible voice acting and plot ever concieved. The plot is this: Five millinea ago, there were monsters in Egypt and Anubis decided that he had a Pyramid of Light so the Pharoah turned everything into Millenium Items. Five thousand years later, Yugi Moto assembles the Millenium Puzzle so the ghost of the Pharaoh decided to live inside of him and play card games through his body. This card game is called Duel Monsters and the Pharaoh is the best ever because he has 3 EGYPTIAN GOD CARDS.

Anyway, while the Pharaoh is technically revived, so is the Dark Lord Anubis is out to destroy the world again with his Pyramid of Light. So they play a card game against eachother which is apparently a reincarnation of the ancient demons sealed away in the Millenium Items. They fight for a long time and a lot of things happen (I'm not going to spoil the movie for you!). The ending is that (Please dont read this if you are going to see the movie! It ruins the movie!)Yugi and his friends and their power of friendship defeat Anubis.

The voice acting was plain awful, especially that of Joey Wheeler, the street wise young Duel Monsters player obviously hailing from the Bronx, and the Pharaoh version of Yugi (YAMI YUGI). The script is riddled with terrible attempts at jokes and even worse puns.

While I was watching the movie, children around me would constantly gasp when they saw a Blue Eyes White Dragon or Peaton the Dark Clown or when Yugi avoided almost certain defeat. Their parents would grimace and probably hated their children but I'd say that this was one of the best movies I've seen in a long time because it is so hilariously bad that you can't help but laugh. I recommend seeing it if you go with friends or if you are stoned or something (I wasn't). If you have ever seen the TV Show, and thought it was funny than this movie is definitely for you. However, if you are a fan of the card Time Wizard than you are out of luck because Time Wizard is not in this movie.

I'm giving this movie a 4/5 because I don't think it is deserving of a 5 but I was laughing when I was watching the movie so I think that it is deserving of a 4.

Here is a picture of Time Wizard because he was not in the movie:

RATING: 4

PROS: hilarious movie, peaton the dark clown, you get a card on your way into the theater (my friend got SHINING BLUE EYES DRAGON! holy poo poo)
CONS: children in the theater, way too short, no loving time wizard! what the hell

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0403703/

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pissdude
Jul 15, 2003

(and can't post for 6 years!)

I saw this movie and I enjoyed it even though it was awful. I also had to leave near the end when Anubis comes back as a monster with an axe for a face because I really had to pee, but I only missed a few minutes. The movie was very terrible, movie-wise, but it was enjoyable. There is a difference. It was pretty funny at the end when Seto Kaiba said to Yugi, "This conversation is OVER. We will duel again..."

Rated 5.0 because it was funny and I got a free card even though the card really sucks dick.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
I think Mr. Cranky said it best when he was reviewing "Pokemon: The First Movie."

No loving way.

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

I want you to meet my little friend, Mister Stabby!
Oh god. OH GOD! KILL IT!

I can't stand the horribly blatant advertising. it's just... wrong.

ballistics statistics
Nov 27, 2003

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

quote:

IchiNiSanWhee came out of the closet to say:
Oh god. OH GOD! KILL IT!

I can't stand the horribly blatant advertising. it's just... wrong.

How old are you and did you ever see The Wizard?

Amarie
Mar 24, 2004

I want you to meet my little friend, Mister Stabby!

quote:

ThaGrandCow came out of the closet to say:

How old are you and did you ever see The Wizard?

I'm 19 and no. My sister is into all this poo poo. that's where I get exposed to it.

<--- Edit: hardy har har funny. I'm not amused.

Amarie fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Aug 18, 2004

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR
this is quite possibly the best comedy of the summer. if you go in expecting anything other that a terrible movie, you will be dissapointed. But if you go in with friends ready to laugh this is great. There are not really any points which you cant laugh it. a non stop comiedic tour de force.

5!!!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
It was really pretty funny, maybe not worth paying $9.50, or something, but - nah, it was worth it. The whole movie was basically like watching two people play a tabletop card game, but there might have been more grunting. Maybe not. I think the actual kids in the audience were bored, but I liked it.

chivas
Jul 1, 2004
ya know.. if they took all the afternoon cartoons and made it into one movie than with 1000 commericals, i think it would have made a pretty decent kids movie. it's actually quite entertaining.

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
I have not seen the movie.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/yugioh/

Rotten tomatoes has thus far given it

Reviews counted: 42
Fresh: 1 Rotten: 41

Which may be a record.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
I watched the movie because my brother is into it. This movie is nothing more then an ongoing advertisement for the card game.

fartcx
Dec 29, 2002

never stop posting
I saw it stoned, and it was quite hilarious. There were 14 instances where someone looked like they masturbating, and the game inventor was the gayest cartoon character I have ever seen.

"No more white wine spritzers before bed."

Rated a 4 for hilarity.

Aeon_
Jan 6, 2002

See you, space cowboy.
It does what it sets out to do: It tells the exciting (If you're either a kid or a huge nerd like I am) story of a card game that will decide the fate of the Earth. If you think you might enjoy a movie about a card game, go see it. You'll like it. If not, you won't.

It's definitely better than Pokemon's cinematic efforts, and I liked it better than Alien vs. Predator.

And it's not really an "advertisement," as so many "gee aren't I clever" reviewers claim, since the concept of the cards in the comic/show predates the creation of actual Duel Monsters cards.

4/5

Aeon_ fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Aug 25, 2004

glompix
Jan 19, 2004

propane grill-pilled
We got completely blitzed out of our skulls and watched this tonight.

I couldnt stop laughing for the first 30 minutes because I had no loving clue what was going on. I would definately reccomend this to any stoners out there. I seriously thought I was going to asphyxiate.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.
Just saw this on netflix because I was feeling masochistic.

Pros: I guess it's kinda neat to see a card battle game realized in feature-length animation.
Fun for kids if they're already into the cardgame, characters, and other crass merchandising for the same reason that it was fun to see the Transformers movie when I was a kid. (Except the transformers movie was actually pretty good compared to this.)

Cons: It's a friggin' card battle game realized in feature-length animation.
Oh yeah, and the voice acting for the most part sucks rear end, while the animation and music would have been exciting for anime maybe 20 years ago. Oh, and the plot is poorly recycled garbage from just about every Japanese fantasy RPG cliche in existance. The dialogue is "zany videogame quotes" bad. The fact that this film was actually recut and censored-to-hell before it made it to the states also makes it suck extra bad.

Bottom line: Somewhat fun if you're a kid who's into the cardgame. Living hell for everyone else.

2/5

Bonus: As has been stated by other people here, my friends vouch for the "must-see while stoned" factor, which according to them moves this film to a 4/5 for unintentional comedy.

Spacedad fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 24, 2006

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong
I went in blind and was expecting the worst, but I felt Yugioh is a legitimately fun movie. I was laughing during my entire experience, and the (intentionally bad?) dialog really seals the deal.

I'll give 4/5, a fun movie and it doesn't last too long. If the entire show is as over-dramatically fun Ill have to try and give it a shot.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

You know what, maybe it's not as good as the Digimon movie, but that doesn't mean it's not good. Not everyone can be the Digimon Movie, but it finds it's own groove and it runs with it. Yugi and Kaibai must put their season long rivalry behind themselves to face a new threat with some pretty overpowered cards, and through their teamwork they are able to overcome the Pyramid of Light and save the day. You might say this is just a longer Yu-Gi-Oh episode, good guys start loosing to new cards, but then they show of their new cards and ultimately win, but you're wrong. Because it's a movie, they can have Pegasus talk about whine, and you know what? That's pretty cool.

Also, I got some sweet cards with my ticket. My brother did too, so when ended up getting all of them. Much better than the holographic foil Entai card they gave for Pokemon 3.

I give it a 5, out of 5 "star chips" ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
Got a watapon worst card ever 1/5