Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jototo
Sep 3, 2003

Directed by: Johnny To
Starring: Simon Yam, Suet Lam, Ruby Wong

PTU is one of those crime/drama movies where you're going "What the gently caress is happening?" the whole time. The problem with this one is, there's very litle resolution.

PTU is a Chinese movie about a police squad in Hong Kong that spend all night trying to find the missing gun of one dumb fatass cop so he won't lose his job. Why a half dozen cops would risk their lives and their jobs to save the job of a cop who I can only describe as a Chinese Farva is beyond me. Something to do with brotherhood of the badge or something.

The team of cops walks around the empty streets roughing up criminals who have no apparent connection to the crime, there's another female detective on the case who's also out roughing people up, there's the Farva cop who trys to play one gangster off another to get his piece back, and theres a fat kid on a bike. That's as much as truly makes sense to me.

There is just so much stuff in this movie that makes no sense at all. There are plot twists that don't mean anything, dramatic pauses in random places, a serious lack of dialouge in key places where we're supposed to just infer dialoughe by facial expression, and a flawed concept of what it takes to kill a person on the behalf of the director. For example, in the way beginning of the film, a gangster gets stabbed through the heart with a 6" blade, and then proceeds to drive him to the hospital. In the end between the shootout between the cops and the gangs guys get shot 6-8 times and are still standing. Also, there's a skinny guy who's waiting for a boat towards the end of the movie and there's no explanation of why he's there yet he appears in no less than four scenes.

This movie could have been better if there had been more dialouge and much less drama. And the ending, oh God how the ending did blow. I literally laughed at the climax.

RATING: 2.5

PROS: decent cinematography, cool beginning, a few hot women actresses
CONS: awful soundtrack, confusing plotline, unexplained elements, weak ending

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0250638/

jototo fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Aug 21, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU