Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TommyTerror
Feb 4, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Directed by: Alan Parker
Starring: Madonna, Antonio Banderas, and Jonathan Pryce

Music by Andrew Lloyd-Weber

(From IMDB)

"Lavish musical drama, based on the hit stage production by Andrew Lloyd Webber and Tim Rice, telling the life story of Eva Duarte (Madonna) who leaves her rural home for Buenos Aires in the company of Latin singer Agustin Magaldi (Jimmy Nail), eventually becoming the wife of President Juan Peron (Jonathan Pryce) and a heroine to the people of Argentina."

I've never been a huge fan of musicals and this film is a perfect example of why the genre never caught on with me. This is a straight musical for the long ride that this film is. There are no talking interludes before every character breaks into song. Everybody stays in song, and it's a very long and painful song.

Andrew Lloyd-Weber violates new EPA standards for noise pollution in this film. The music is acceptable however the lyrics are awkward, unbalanced, and totally devoid of any form of musical flow. He must have scored this film during some drug-hazed depression because I liked Jesus Christ, Superstar but this film has none of the charm of his, in my opinion, greatest historical musical.

But all the discredit can't go to Andrew. Director Alan Parker must have had no idea what he was doing because nothing in this movie feels right or natural. I know this is a musical, and certain liberties should be given to a musical. Such as people dancing and singing for no particular reason. But even in this piece, the random acts of randomness are bizarre and out of place. Nothing makes sense to me in this film.

Banderas and Price seem comfortable in their roles but Madonna looks like she's sleepwalking through the whole picture. Her voice is as beautiful as always but even she struggles with the horrid songwriting.

And Banderas should never ever sing again. Although I liked his little diddy he did in Desperado, Banderas' singing is not meant to be taken in doses larger than five seconds. The film could've improved greatly if they kept Banderas from singing and used him for the non-existant 'talkie' interludes present in many musicals but not in this one.

Summary: This movie is one long and very bad soundtrack with Madonna wearing too much clothing.

Rating: 1.0

PROS: Madonna
CONS: Antonio Banderas sings

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116250/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU