Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
Azazel
Jun 6, 2001
I bitch slap for a living - you want some?

quote:

SpeedyCow came out of the closet to say:
where did Pot. Kettle. Black or something of that nature come from??

You are kidding, right? That's been around for literally ages. A faery tale if I recall?

Bottom line, I call you X, while I too, am X. Thus, the Pot calling the Kettle Black. X=X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

<deleted user>

quote:

MC Dookie came out of the closet to say:
Hey, who remembers this:

I remember this! It was a fantastic and mostly forgotten chapter in forum history. Plus they didn't change the results like Entertainment Weekly.

SpeedyCow
Oct 8, 2001

I luv the itty bitty Phillies!

quote:

Azazel came out of the closet to say:

You are kidding, right? That's been around for literally ages. A faery tale if I recall?

Bottom line, I call you X, while I too, am X. Thus, the Pot calling the Kettle Black. X=X.

nope, no kidding. i've never heard that term in my entire 21 years of life on this celestial marble.

perhaps you could liken it to another saying that is similar in meaning?

edit: thanks raditts. so it's like "people who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones" weeeeeeeeeeee

SpeedyCow fucked around with this message at Feb 19, 2002 around 06:48

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

quote:

SpeedyCow came out of the closet to say:

nope, no kidding. i've never heard that term in my entire 21 years of life on this celestial marble.

perhaps you could liken it to another saying that is similar in meaning?

quote:

Total Recall:
Alien guy: "Don't show your ugly face around here again?"
Ahnuld: "Look who's taahking!"

Or something like that. I haven't seen that movie in years.

FLOOR_MASTER
May 12, 2001

1. I yamsyamsyams *something*. Where'd the errant '3' come from?
2. What's the origin of these Euronymous/showerhead references?

[edit] It's been censored. It's an inequality symbol with a '3' tacked on.

TIA! TTFN!! CUL8R

Lost Dream
Jul 24, 2001

i know i have 400 post but what the gently caress does "e/n" stand for

everything/nothing?

Heartstrings Tugboat
Sep 5, 2002

quote:

Lost Dream came out of the closet to say:

everything/nothing?
Yes.

and Shrub: 2. What's the origin of these Euronymous/showerhead references?
He apparently got messed up or something one night and whacked his girlfriend with a showerhead.

Morgan Freeman
Aug 6, 2001

what does
HACK TEH GIBSON
mean?

ascii genitals
Aug 19, 2000

quote:

everything/nothing?

yes, everything nothing or entertainment news, depending on who you're talking to.

Mallard Duck
Jul 9, 2000
I WISH I KNEW HOW MUCH ROTARY ENGINES SUCKED BEFORE MY MOMMY BOUGHT ME MY RX-7! NOW I'M FORCED TO RELENTLESSLY SUPPORT THE WANKEL ENGINE EVEN THOUGH I KNOW DEEP DOWN INSIDE IT DOES INFACT SUCK ASS.

quote:

everything/nothing?

You got it.

Mallard Duck
Jul 9, 2000
I WISH I KNEW HOW MUCH ROTARY ENGINES SUCKED BEFORE MY MOMMY BOUGHT ME MY RX-7! NOW I'M FORCED TO RELENTLESSLY SUPPORT THE WANKEL ENGINE EVEN THOUGH I KNOW DEEP DOWN INSIDE IT DOES INFACT SUCK ASS.

quote:

nitrog3n came out of the closet to say:
what does
HACK TEH GIBSON
mean?

In the movie Hackers, the crown jewel of their hacking exploits was gaining access to a giant mainframe, entitled Gibson. Add a little Jeff K, and there you have it.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bronie for Life / Bitcoin afficionado

quote:

nitrog3n came out of the closet to say:
what does
HACK TEH GIBSON
mean?
It's from the movie hackers, in which, the main characters "hack the gibson". The gibson being a large supercomputer controlled by the evil guys.

stail
Dec 18, 2001

what is the history behind the word "goon".

There will be no manhandling of mandibles.

Frogman
Aug 17, 2000
BANNED

quote:

stail came out of the closet to say:
what is the history behind the word "goon".

look up in a dictonary what a goon is, and then apply it to the forums as a whole.

for the lazy, i believe, though am probably wrong, it is a person with minimal intellence.

nobody-
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Whatever happened to 22 Woman surprise sex Machine?

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

quote:

shrub came out of the closet to say:
2. What's the origin of these Euronymous/showerhead references

Euronymous went apeshit on his girlfriend with a showerhead in some sort of drunken rage.

Of course he had to post about it and get sympathy from his fellow goons for the damage he did to his precious showerhead.

beames
Nov 28, 2001

i live cement.

quote:

AlmightyPants came out of the closet to say:
I remember this! It was a fantastic and mostly forgotten chapter in forum history. Plus they didn't change the results like Entertainment Weekly.

Explain the Entertainment Weekly part, sir.

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000
I am so smart!....S-M-R-T!

i miss when newbies posted and everyone would post "poo poo FUCKER" in their thread... thats was some old school days. when armies were brand new.

what i want to know is, where did the stare guy come from???
i still have pictures of him on my computer, and i never new where he came from.

edit to add this gif that i love so much!

and for fun, check this out
http://www.bol.ucla.edu/~rnavarro/c...atitlesfull.jpg

DonJNavarro fucked around with this message at Feb 19, 2002 around 08:02

Bobby
Jan 1, 2001

quote:

nobody- came out of the closet to say:
Whatever happened to 22 Woman surprise sex Machine?
He found Jesus.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

RadicalCadaver
Feb 15, 2002

No clear explanation of "yamsyamsyams" yet. This is all I would really like to know about.

Heartstrings Tugboat
Sep 5, 2002

quote:

beames came out of the closet to say:

Explain the Entertainment Weekly part, sir.
We tried to get Lowtax voted as "entertainer of the year" well, he had a lot of votes, but EW changed them around to who they thought should win.

Joshie
Oct 29, 2001

MAYOR OF PIGTOWN

If you're speaking of "< 3" minus the space, it forms a heart. The same way ;-) forms a winking face. Look at it sideways. This originated in some lovely rear end teen chat AOL room, no doubt, and was transferred over for sarcastic usage to the educated world. It was then assimilated and is now accepted for use to indicate like or love for someone.

If you're speaking of the actual phrase "yamsyamsyams", that's just what appears when a word (or emoticon) has been censored and is no longer cool enough to be on the forums (see above paragraph regarding heart).

<deleted user>

IIRC, yamsyamsyams is lowtax's filter for "goat se.cx". Or something along those lines...

The Yellow Yell
Jun 28, 2000

Goon, I think, was just a word that came into usage naturally. As far as I can remember, no-one really posted anything like "I know! How about Something Awful Goons?" It captures the SA crowd's potential as a crippling band of e-thugs.

And thanks to idiotsavant and Fistgrrl, my cerebrum no longer burns with unanswered questions when I try to sleep.

andgasm
Nov 2, 2001

Kull wahad!

Okay, where does "HOORJ" come from? My first thought was Esperanto, but come on, I'm sure the true origin is far more banal...

quote:

impulse wrote this in a previous episode of "FYAD: THE SERIES":
there are two big fags in this thread, and their names are: raspberry and Holyboot.
So I had no choice but to adopt them both.

TastyArmageddon
Aug 15, 2000

quote:

Genocyde came out of the closet to say:
IIRC, yamsyamsyams is lowtax's filter for "goat se.cx". Or something along those lines...

This is partially correct. "yamsyamsyamsyams" was basically a catchall for all censored words, including my username for a short period of time.

I've always sort of wondered who thought up calling us all "goons". I'm sure a couple people might try to take credit but I think that we'll never really know for sure and it'll be some sort of weird mystery that will never be fully explained, which is cool.

Oh, and my first username was "iWILLKILLYOU", which was registered back in 6-00.

If anyone has any questions about me and my long, embarassing history on these forums I'll answer them, even though my memory kind of sucks and no one probably cares.

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

I can't remember how the whole Geno/follow the path thing got started.

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000

quote:

andgasm came out of the closet to say:
Okay, where does "HOORJ" come from? My first thought was Esperanto, but come on, I'm sure the true origin is far more banal...
i think it was a phonetic way of saying hooray. like hoor-J almost sounds like hooray. that was the explanation i got a long time ago.

i'm probably wrong

DonJNavarro
Aug 16, 2000

quote:

Linguica came out of the closet to say:
I can't remember how the whole Geno/follow the path thing got started.
the habbo hotel i think, where everyone decided to dress all in gray, and crowd the hell out of the place.
http://www.habbohotel.com

Frogman
Aug 17, 2000
BANNED

quote:

DonJNavarro came out of the closet to say:

i think it was a phonetic way of saying hooray. like hoor-J almost sounds like hooray. that was the explanation i got a long time ago.

i'm probably wrong
thats pretty much it, though its usage has died down a lot lately.

The hearts thing comes from the saan invasion when they would smother people with huggles and < 3.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Bronie for Life / Bitcoin afficionado

quote:

TastyArmageddon came out of the closet to say:

If anyone has any questions about me and my long, embarassing history on these forums I'll answer them, even though my memory kind of sucks and no one probably cares.
How on earth did you become a normal poster considering all the crap you used to do? Not meant as a flame, I'm really curious because you've gone from being my least favorite poster to one of my favorites.

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

quote:

Why the sudden change in heart? You are no longer unbelievably annoying, and I am actually impressed with your photoshopping skills.

Also, why did you lose your moderatorship?

Edit- Beaten, because everyone wants to get into Tasty's head.

----------------

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wasn't yams introduced by the famous Captain Yams? Or some other user name that involved yams...

This is quite funny to read. It's almost like overhearing a discussion about star trek geeks holding forth about the show. "No, they didn't change the uniforms until the second season, the first time you saw them was in episode foobar". Just goes to show that the human mind will seize upon nearly anything to distract itself from its own incipient death.

Edit to add my own question: Can anyone list the 'faux' moderators and who the user behind them? There was some kind of banbot, the camel spider, etc.

Then never tell me you love me again because I don't want your love all over my face. You sicko.

dave5623
Jun 9, 2001

whats this deal with asking the judge if he has stairs in his house?

TastyArmageddon
Aug 15, 2000

quote:

Azathoth came out of the closet to say:
How on earth did you become a normal poster considering all the crap you used to do? Not meant as a flame, I'm really curious because you've gone from being my least favorite poster to one of my favorites.

Heh, I'm not really sure. Some of it probably comes from a fear of being banned again, but I'm also a lot more mature nowadays (although I'm not sure why).

quote:

UsualSuspect came out of the closet to say:
Also, why did you lose your moderatorship?

I'm not really sure why. One day it was just gone. Not like I'm going to make a big deal of it since I'm (still) happy just to be unbanned.

Thanks for the compliments, btw. =)

<deleted user>

The Geno cult started in a virtual chat room called Habbo Hotel, moved on to Furcadia, a virtual chat room for loving yiffing furries, then back to habbo and massive suicide.

The Counting thread started by Lowtax was started in March 2000, and grew to 1300 posts in 3 days before it was blocked by lowtax, never reaching the number 1337 which it was intended to do.

The entertainment weekly stuff was earlier this year, when we stole an idea from fark who pushed wil wheaton and the Gord as entertainers of the year on EW's Man of the year poll. we quickly overcame them with voting scrips (voting Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka), EW responded by hiding the poll and making up the winners, SLUTS sent about 300 mails to all the EW staff, and we got a mention on their poll page wishing us good luck next year.

And Kyanka is not a Norwegian last name as mentioned in this thread.

Everyting else has been answered satisfactory, espesially by our sunshine moderator.

My question:
why does everyone everybody (I am guessing) before 12-00 have forum veteran as their title? and when did this happen? and who did it?

Bishop
Aug 15, 2000

quote:

andgasm came out of the closet to say:

I think its just a variation of "horray"

i remember seeing this in quake games a long time ago, dont think it has SA orgins

quote:

Marxgorn came out of the closet to say:
My question:
why does everyone everybody (I am guessing) before 12-00 have forum veteran as their title? and when did this happen? and who did it?

forum veteran is a title you get if you've been around for 15 months or longer. They've been doing it for a while.

----------------

Griz
May 21, 2001

quote:

I'm not really sure why. One day it was just gone. Not like I'm going to make a big deal of it since I'm (still) happy just to be unbanned.

I thought you becoming a moderator was part of Lowtax's PROJECT: GO AWAY week since so many people said they'd leave if you ever became a mod.

Forum Veteran means you've been registered a really long time and you deserve a special title.

<deleted user>

quote:

Finx came out of the closet to say:
I never understood the "Type R" stuff. Guess I missed all that. Heh.

WHERE THE gently caress DO YOU LIVE!?@!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MadKingSoupIV
Aug 3, 2000
Banned

quote:

idiotsavant came out of the closet to say:
(Navigable) started off as someone posting how they liked to play a game that they made up when they were bored.

It was The Artificial Kid, who was known as Arti way back then, who posted it in a thread entitled "The Happy Fun Game".

I am two separate gorillas until you prove otherwise.

«11 »