Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Directed by: Aleksandr Sokurov
Starring: The Hermitage

I have been meaning to see this film for almost two years now, and finally got around to it. I had originally been afraid, as pretentious and philosophy loving as I am, that I would simply be bored to death. This, however, turned out not to be the case at all. The film was taken in a single continuous shot, spanning 33 rooms at the hermitage, and I suppose, as the title might suggest, is an "ark" of russian history. don't let this deter you, though.... I personally know very very little about russian history, and yet didn't find this film at all dull or uninteresting.... and was able to pick up on many a reference. The film proceeds as if through the "eyes" of an unknown stranger from modern times, wandering through the halls of the museum 200 years ago, accompanied by a foreigner - who I might add is extremely witty. Comedy and asthetic disagreements abound as, from room to room, they jump also between different eras. I don't really know how else to describe this film, other than to simply highly reccomend seeing it. It is the first film I've seen in the last few years that I've wanted to watch again the next day. which, in my case, says alot.

RATING: 5

PROS: Filmed in a single shot, funny dialog, amazing costumes, great museum
CONS: potentially boring for the less pretentious among us.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0318034/

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Aug 31, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinkied_Brain
Aug 4, 2004

I saw this movie over a year ago when it was out in theaters. The fact that it was all one shot is pretty amazing, but I think thats pretty much it. I know it is not supposed to be drama, but I think that most History Chanel documentaries are more interesting. I was pretty bored throughout the entire movie, and I've been to The Hermitage many times!

I thought it was extremely slow, and 15 minutes of Russian plates and cups just didn't excite me.

3.5 because it was very well made - an hour and a half single shot and good cinematgraphy.

Pavo Cristatus
Jan 25, 2004

One down, forty-one to go...
I saw this movie a couple months ago. I must say the one continuous shot was pretty interesting, though it made the movie feel really weird at the same time. Before I saw this movie I had no knowledge of Russia's art and culture. Now I have some idea. Which I guess is the point.

I'd give it a 3.5/5. It was visually amazing and pretty well written, but I wasn't really interested in what is was about so it couldn't really hold my attention.