Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

P78M
Sep 1, 2004

tropical hot dog night
Directed by: Akira Kurosawa
Starring: Toshiro Mifune, Machiko Kyo

Akira Kurosawa may have been the definitive Japanese film director of the 20th century, but his 1950 movie, "Rashomon" was a bit confusing and just plain strange in some cases.

The story is about four different interpretations of a rape and murder. What is exclusive to each of the stories is that someone is murdered and a woman is raped. However, when each character's stories are shown, they all differ which ultimately leads to confusion.

In a sense, the four main characters are right in what they consider to be the truth, yet at the same time, none of them are fully trustworthy to have their stories written off as what really happened.

Alas, there is no true conclusion to the movie, although the reaccuring theme is that human error and liars will never lead to a true justice (or something along those lines).

I gave this film a three, because someone probably shat themselves writing this. Also, as I mentioned as a PRO, the cinematography was very well done by Kazuo Miyagawa.

RATING: 3

PROS: Great cinematography
CONS: Somewhat confusing plotline

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0042876/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

celestial teapot
Sep 9, 2003

He asked my religion and I replied "agnostic." He asked how to spell it, and remarked with a sigh: "Well, there are many religions, but I suppose they all worship the same God."
The storyline is only confusing if you're unable to follow it. All the information is needed to build the plot, and the reversed way of telling the story will seem reminiscent to viewers of Memento- precisely because Kurosawa invented this storytelling method with this film.

Rashomon is a deeply influential film and a good watch. 4

what the christ
Mar 20, 2003

two little rikers
We watched this in english class, but I don't think that was necessary to truly appreciate it. I did, however, borrow the teacher's DVD so I could watch it a second time at home. I loved it. 5

Kro-Bar
Jul 24, 2004
USPOL May
I recently re-watched this, and thorougly enjoyed it. I didn't try to read too much into it, and got an entertaining crime drama that asks questions and has some cool cinematography. By itself it's an above average movie, but with the inclusion of Toshiro Mifune, it's made great. I love that guy!

4.5/5

Ziffo the Clown
May 15, 2004
The only clown who doesn't molest children.
The acting, story, and directing were all spectacular. The thing that pushes this movie over the 5 to a 5.5 for me is the way in which the story is told (which has been used in countless other films since).

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
This is one of those movies that if you're watching it for the first time now and can't really appreciate history, you're likely not going to enjoy it.

The fact is, it DID inspire zillions of other stories and the title has become a definition much like Catch-22 (though that was a novel first).

Kurosawa is amazingly-accurate in terms of his periods. I was doing research on the warring states era and so much of what I read in the history books was there on film. From the medium (always a woman) who channels the dead husband, to the one-off line about there being six bodies left at the top of the gate (dead bodies were considered a corrupting influence, and poor people would often leave corpses at the top inside structure of city gates).

That said, the acting is really really over the top. I don't know if real people acted that way in ~1400's Japan and likely no one will ever know. But like a Bergman film of his medieval Europe, Kurosawa makes it feel realistic.

My one big gripe after seeing it was just how little different the stories were. I was expecting them to be 180 degrees from each other, but they were pretty close, at least as far as I thought.

I give it a 4. Seven Samurai was better. Ran was worse.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

I really liked what Kurosawa has to say about perspective in this movie. We tell the story we want to tell that fufills our preconceptions and our biases. The ending was kinda wonky but a really good watch.
4.5/5

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

One of the first creative works to include various POV 'chapters' with different stories on it, a groundbreaking innovation at the time. The 'prologue' part at the raining shrine seems out of place for me though.

Social Dissonance
Nov 25, 2002

hey guys lets ride
Watched it and loved it. Really a perfect example of a non-trustworthy narrator throughout the whole thing. Honestly not too hard to figure out the "truth" if you think of all 4 stories logically (Just think of what detail might be switched at the end). My only gripe is it's a little slower to start out, but that's a pretty minor complaint.

4/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Wonderful film. Loved how Akira Kurosawa played with tropes and filmgoers expectations w.r.t. the language of cinema (e.g., the duel between the bandit and the samurai from the pov of the samurai as told by the woodcutter as told by Akira Kurosawa had all the usual bits that cinema sword fights do, then later we see a probably more accurate take on how it went down).

Loved it. Just as strong on a rewatch.

4.5/5