Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phenylketonuric
Aug 12, 2003

Directed by: Vincent Gallo
Starring: Vincent Gallo, Chloe Sevigny

I loved Buffalo 66 and I am a fan of Vincent Gallo. He made this film because he felt it was what a good film would be. It is one of those films that I won't recommended to anyone but would like people to see, I just don't want that kind of responsibility. Yes, he gets a real Blowjob from Chloe Sevigny. I enjoyed this film, it is one of the sadest movies I have ever seen. I can see more people hating it than liking it. It is what it is and you should decide for yourself. This is not the two hour version that was shown at Canne, he cut it down to ninty minutes.

RATING: 3

PROS: The film is beautiful.
CONS: Long scenes with no talking.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0330099/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Saw this last night and all I can say is wow.

The Brown Bnny follows in a long tradition of movies that have a lot of nothing in them. Long driving scenes (Gallo goes into a neighborhood and ends up making four left turns) long bouts of silence, lots of nothing.

There's no easier way to win me over.

Overall I thought Gerry was mediocre, Elephant was brilliant, and Why Does Herr R. Run Amok? a gem. If you like these kinds of films, you'll love The Brown Bunny. If you're the kind of person who finds humor in a humorless situation, the Brown bunny is a hilarious movie. Gallo is a pathetic shell of a man throughout the moive, but a relatable one. We've all been there. A lot of us live there. He's a man in his own world, trying to relate to people. He finds he can but doesn't know what to do when he gets there. He freaks and runs away. He's a man running away from his past, his fears, everything.

The Brown Bunny as it is now, is an excellent film. I think Gallo thinks there's a lot more there than what translates over, but what reaches you in the movie is excellent. It's a story without anything to distract from it. A simple telling. No narration, no subplots, no jive-talking sidekick to rile people up. A man and his problems.

And if you're wondering, the bj scene is the least sexiest thing ever.

and it's huge.

5.5/5

soupb
Jul 21, 2001

by angerbot
I saw the 2003 version which I assume is the long one.

I was expecting a poo poo film considering the negative reviews. It's certainly slowww. I can understand why people think it's self indulgent and egotistical. A lot of it (probably most of it) consists of stylised and arty sequences where Vincent Gallo drives around, and drives more. But the roads and scenery actually looked good, although they could have been truncated without losing any of the effect.

A frequent motif seems to be Vincent Gallo picking up random women who readily go along with his outlandish requests. Also the scene where he kisses a random woman sitting a table in a park was pushing the boundaries of realistic. And he sure likes scenes where he washes his face in a bathroom. Clearly this is a man who is in love with himself; whether this will ruin the film depends on the viewer.

All things considered, it was worth watching. If you appreciate simple but thoughtful visuals in the vein of Lost in Translation you might enjoy this (instead of Tokyo, you have roads, houses and some desert.) It's a movie that celebrates the quiet joy of driving around in mundane surroundings. I am a big fan of movies that simply try to capture a mood. You don't necessarily need intricate plots or dialog to be compelling.

Buffalo 66 was a gritty but feel-good movie, this one was a sad movie with a brighter, polished look. Don't watch this if you want an interesting plot.

3.5/5 - good if you don't want to concentrate or think too much.