Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

liquorhead
Jul 11, 2002

Directed by: John Waters
Starring: Tracy Ullman, Johnny Knoxville, Chris Isaak

Take it from me with absolute confidence that this movie sucks. It only opened on 130 screens or so last week, so you won't likely see it in theaters, but if you're in a town where this is playing, avoid it at all costs.

Why should you believe me? I LOVE JOHN WATERS and think he's one of the funniest most twisted filmmakers out there. I loved Pink Flamingoes and Serial Mom. I even got to interview Johhn for my website for a week ago and despite all the studio hype I've been wallowing in...I just can't buy it.

There's a character in this movie that gets his rocks off by leaving "floaters". He shits in toilets but doesn't flush, jumping up and down and clapping with glee when some unsuspecting soul stumbles on his handiwork. That's what this whole movie feels like. Imagine an old man shouting "POOPY" and expecting young hip audiences to think it's shocking.

The movie stinks. Waters tells the story of people who mysteriously develop insane sexual fetishes when they get a massive blow to the head. Gradually this turns the whole town into raving sex maniacs, who like out of control zombies in the Living Dead films, take over the city and force the "Neuters" (the "regular" folk) to hole up in a mini-mart and defend their decency.

That's pretty much the whole story and it's just a ludicrious waste of time.

Sure, there's a few funny lines, but I found myself laughing at the movie more than with it. The final 20 minutes is so insanely stupid, it was all I could do to keep from walking out of the theater.

As a fan of gross-out cinema, there admittedly is some nice moments to get revolted by. A man who is stimulated by dirt ends up chugging down the contents of a dirty flower vase, and an ash-tray in scenes that are as stomach churning as any of the intestine eating scenes that George Romero could have thought of.

In many ways, it's no different than the early silly sick poo poo that Waters gave us in the early 70s, but the low budget charm of those films lends itself for a more underground feel that works so much better with trash cinema. The large budget and big-time cast ends up making all holes show up more than ever. Johnny Knoxville has been in movies with people that snort wasabi powder, btu it's a shame that Tracy Ullman and Selma Blair had to be associated with this fiasco.

Next to The Day After Tomorrow, I'd rate this as the 2nd worst film I've seen this year.

Better luck next time, John.

RATING: .5

PROS: a few funny lines of dialogue
CONS: an incredibly amateurish, juvenile waste of time

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deety
Aug 2, 2004

zombies + sharks = fun

I liked it a little better than you did, but still thought it was disappointing.

Rated it 2.5 (mostly for the sake of Tracey Ullman and Mink Stole) and posted a review in the earlier thread.

liquorhead
Jul 11, 2002

closing thread, didn't see the other one.