Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Directed by: Wai Keung Lau, Siu Fai Mak
Starring: Andy Lau, Tony Leung

Infernal Affairs is a relatively new movie from Hong Kong that gives me hope that the genre of triad crime film did not die out with John Woo and Chow Yun Fat in the early nineties. Starring Andy Lau and Tony Leung as two undercover agents working for opposing organizations. The Police Force and the Chinese Triads. The two work to cripple the other organization and eventually to find the mole in each--each other.

I don't want to spoil the plot for anyone, which is why I am giving a sparse plot summary, because while it is not an extremely complex plot, it is brought to life brilliantly. The acting by Tony Leung and Andy Lau is top notch grade A++ awesome. They bring their characters to life perfectly, dealing with the subtle effects of stress upon the characters--the loss that they feel, and that which they never had. When dealing with the effect of their occupation on them, the people around them, and the people they're working against, Andy Lau and Tony Leung turn two of the best performances I've ever witnessed. (Period).

The acting was excellent, and it was only enhanced by the direction. The camera Angles and cinematography remind more of Wong Kar Wai than of John Woo (this is NOT gun ballet). Wai Keung Lau and Sio Fai Mak (from here on known as "the directors") are able to exacerbate the emotion that each character is feeling, whether it be hopelessness or happiness, with the way the movie is shot. There are alot of close-ups and odd-angle shots in the movie without being giving an impression of "Oh we're so cool because we're not using wide angle shots." Moroever, when a wide angle shot is used (and it's really only utilized fully at one point in the movie), it has that much more of an effect.

The two shots I referred to in that paragraph are (I suggest you don't mouseover until after the movie to see if you agree):

1: The post-its, Lau, and the TV
2: The wide angle shot with Lau and Leung with the cityscape in the background.

I personally LOVED the soundtrack. It just worked. I don't know how to explain it more than that, but to me, when I'm watching a movie and I notice, "wow, that song fits," it means it's a perfect soundtrack. Where you take note of it, but it doesn't overpower anything. The same with thinking "that was a really good shot," and without drawing attention away from the plot.

In conclusion, this movie is amazing and I highly recommend it. It is a must-see if you are a fan of the classic Chow Yun Fat / John Woo movies (The Killer, Hard Boiled, A Better Tomorrow), and very much worth watching even if you aren't.

RATING: 5

PROS: Beautifully Shot, Stellar Acting, Good Plot
CONS: None come to mind immediately.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0338564/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Previously reviewed.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1100980

xian
Jan 21, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My Bad. I must've missed it when I checked.