Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Directed by: Jim Jarmusch
Starring: Bill Murray, RZA, GZA, Tom Waits, Iggy Pop, Cate Blanchett, Steve Buscemi

This film comprises a series of conversations between two or more famous people, for the most part being fairly random (though always well-written and, on some level, amusing) banter. Common themes of these conversations include the obvious - coffee and cigarettes - to the more unexpected - cousins, accellerated dreaming - to the loving out there - Nicola Tesla's perception of the earth as a conductor of acoustic resonance. Such pairings/combinations include Tom Waits and Iggy Pop, Jack and Meg White, two characters both played by Cate Blanchett, Roberto Begnini and Steven Wright, the RZA the GZA and Bill Murray, Joie Lee Cinqué Lee and Steve Buscemi, Steve Coogan and Alfred Molina, and a number of others. This is from Jim Jarmusch, director of such fine films as Ghost Dog, Down By Law, and Mystery Train. Because of this each scene has a certain artistic look that just makes it look drat cool. It is also written by Jim Jarmusch, meaning not a single line of dialogue is wasted.
I guess it's best categorized as an "art" film, but that carries all manner of negative connotations, none of which apply to this movie. It's not pretentious or condescending, it's not emo, it's not goth, and it's not some hack director trying to be meaningful. It's just funny, occasionally poignant, and visually impressive. Every shot would make a loving cool b&w photograph. Which brings me to a point that might turn some people off - it's shot in black and white. But if you can deal with it in Clerks it shouldn't be a problem here. I personally think the black and white palette makes it look way cooler than it would have had it been shot in color. And with such a wide-ranging lineup of famous actors and musicians there's probably at least one person in there you'd like to see. The only con for me were a few occasional slow spots, and these are brief as no scene is more than 10 minutes long and each one has at least something going for it. I give it a solid 4.5.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Witty dialogue, cool artistic look, Bill Murray, black & white
CONS: Some slow spots, black & white (if you don't like that sort of thing)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379217/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
There is already a thread for this film (which I know because I made it):

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1060295

Racing Stripe
Oct 22, 2003

Well drat, I searched every page for it and turned up nothing.