Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Is the manga the same story as the show or is it based more on book content?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

Right now its covering stuff from the gaiden A Hundred Billion Stars, A Hundred Billion Lights.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

The show is the same story as the book.
Like almost word-for-word in places.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Its rather close and comprehensive, but , like, dusty is not in the books iirc.

Go RV!
Jun 19, 2008

Uglier on the inside.

DamnGlitch posted:

Which makes the books objectively the inferior product

Thirty-Five Minutes
Aug 12, 2007
not a republic serial villain
I've decided to watch Legend of Galactic Heroes despite having been spoilt for (major spoiler?) Yang Wenli's death. Not sure how he dies though, I just know he probably does...at some point. I'm currently at episode 28, and busy being very charmed by Reuenthal and Mittermeyer's friendship. I hope that this part of the series shows more of Reinhard and his subordinates -- I'm very interested in seeing the repercussions of the death of Kircheis. It seems like Reinhard is on a path that he now has no reason to turn back from.

I'll post more thoughts as I get further into the series. Also I watched quite a few previews before realising all they did was spoil the next episode, and have stopped now.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
You're in luck then because a huge amount of the story is spent on Reinhard's relationship between himself and his followers.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The previews make sense in the context of a) Japanese people dont give a gently caress about spoilers and b) this frickin show was coming out over the course of a decade and the previews represented possibly the only information available about upcoming episodes.

I remember when i was collecting eva tape by tape 15 goddamned years ago i was hangin on some previews.

But you are correct, dont watch em.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

My girlfriend and I started watching this show and are about halfway through the first season. I want to start reading the novels since they're finally being translated into English, but I don't want to get ahead of where we are in the show. How can I find out which episodes of the show cover the events of which novels?

RubricMarine
Feb 14, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

Dusty is in the books, but he shows up earlier in the show. Like, he's there from the start there, but in the books he only shows up a quarter of the way in or something like that.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

My girlfriend and I started watching this show and are about halfway through the first season. I want to start reading the novels since they're finally being translated into English, but I don't want to get ahead of where we are in the show. How can I find out which episodes of the show cover the events of which novels?

Book 1 is the only one out in English yet (Book 2 comes out in July).

Book 1 covers episodes 1-16 of the show, as well as episode 1 of Spiral Labyrinth, which is Yang Wen-Li's backstory that the show decided to skip and stick into a side-series for some reason.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Patter Song posted:

Book 1 is the only one out in English yet (Book 2 comes out in July).

Book 1 covers episodes 1-16 of the show, as well as episode 1 of Spiral Labyrinth, which is Yang Wen-Li's backstory that the show decided to skip and stick into a side-series for some reason.

Thanks! Is each novel approximately half a season?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Weedle posted:

Thanks! Is each novel approximately half a season?

I can only judge by the descriptions on Amazon for the unreleased volumes 2 and 3 (do not read these for volumes 2 and 3, they will spoil plenty of stuff) because I've only read volume 1 so far, but it looks like volume 2 is the second half of season 1 and volume 3 (due out in November) is the first half of season 2. I couldn't give you episode numbers without actually reading them, though.

Fun fact: there are 10 books, but only books 1-3 are confirmed to be released at this point in the West...they're going to judge whether to release the later ones depending on how these first three sell. I hope that encourages you and doesn't discourage you.

Iserlohn
Nov 3, 2011

Watch out!

Here comes the third tactic.
Lipstick Apathy
Aw, I didn't know that they were tentative about translating the whole series. I'll definitely pick up the next two volumes.

Nothing has come of Sentai Filmworks yet, has it? I can't find anything new, doing a quick search online.

Scatsby
Dec 25, 2007

Just purchased this at A-kon. A book of prints. Truly astounding, since con dealers tend to focus on the mainstream anime.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
So I was rewatching one of my favorite scenes in this (or, let's face it, any) series, the one towards the start of season 3 where Yang and Reinhard meet, and I wanted to talk a bit about the brilliance of that scene.

Spoilers for late season 2 and early season 3 follow.

Yang Wenli has been defeated, not tactically as Reinhard craved, but strategically. Yang was on the verge of victory at the Battle of Vermillion, with the death of the soon-to-be Kaiser at his fingertips and with that the destruction of the Empire itself, when Mittermeyer and von Reuenthal capture Heinessen and the Alliance itself surrenders. Yang was forced to face the ultimate choice: victory at the battle while consigning his civilian government to death and turning himself into a military dictator, or surrender at the edge of victory and killing the Alliance itself. Yang picks the latter, but Reinhard is fully aware of the humiliating fact that he has gone toe to toe with Yang Wenli four times now and hasn't had a decisive victory once. Now the two rivals are going to meet.

Throughout their polite exchange, the two probe each other and, for me, by far the most interesting is Reinhard, who is skeptical to the extreme about Yang's ideology. Reinhard first makes the obviously-going-to-be-denied offer to make Yang an Imperial Fleet Admiral and after Yang refuses, immediately starts pushing Yang about why he would serve inferior men like the Alliance government but not serve the obviously superior Reinhard. The Alliance is a government of dishonest cowards, elected by a selfish and fickle electorate. How are they a better master than Reinhard? Yang argues that that itself is the virtue of democracy: the people of the Alliance voted in Job Truniht. They voted for the policies that led to the demise of their country and the loss of their freedom. They made the string of choices that resulted in the destruction of their government and way of life. Dictatorship is a way for the people of a country to abdicate that responsibility and blame their ruler...it wasn't our fault that such and such happened. This is actually both a deeply cynical and deeply idealistic take on democracy and it might be the most provocative idea in the series.

And then, of course, Reinhard lets Yang go. Not because Reinhard needs to look lenient...but because Reinhard knows full well that any rebellion against his rule will inevitably have to center around Yang Wenli whether Yang Wenli likes it or not. If he keeps an eye on Yang Wenli, tracking the dissidents within the Alliance will become very easy indeed.

I love that scene. It reminds me of the scene in Romance of the Three Kingdoms when Cao Cao and Liu Bei are at the Imperial Palace. It rather vividly reminds me of that scene actually, to the point where I wonder if Tanaka was directly inspired by it.

Romance of the Three Kingdoms spoiler:

Liu Bei is now Cao Cao's deeply reluctant junior ally, following their coalescing to take down Lu Bu, and Liu Bei is under what amounts to house arrest at the Imperial Palace, where he is conspiring with his cousin the Emperor to maybe someday murder Cao Cao. At the meeting between the two warlords, Cao Cao asks Liu Bei whom he thinks are the great heroes of the land. After Cao Cao dismisses all the men Liu Bei suggests (Yuan Shu is just for show, Yuan Shao is an indecisive fool, Sun Ce is an unproven child, Liu Zhang is effeminate and artsy, Liu Biao is an empty name, etc.), Cao Cao declares to Liu Bei that the two of them are the only true heroes in all of China. This powerplay terrifies Liu Bei, because it tells him that Cao Cao sees him as his one true rival and thus high on Cao Cao's to do list to remove, but Liu Bei is saved by a sudden flash of thunder, so he can blame his visible terror on the lightning. Liu Bei, a washed-up loser much like Yang at this point, is still on Cao Cao's list of heroes. Even the man on top realizes that his defeated adversary is a worthy foe and one that could rise again to challenge him.

Romance the Three Kingdoms, the book, is fantastic, and I think its influence on LOGH might be more subconscious (Tanaka's drawing most of his direct inspiration from European history) but it is definitely present.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
Reading the first book and it's kinda crazy how faithful the anime was in its adaptation. There's a few minor details and the arrangement of when some events are told in the book vs in the anime is different, but even minute things like the exact way a character behaves or twitches or moves ended up being represented in the show. I've heard Attenborough shows up much later in the book than in the anime, or there any other big differences like that?

Minera fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 22, 2016

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://www.amazon.com/Legend-Galactic-Heroes-Vol-Ambition/dp/1421584956/

July 19th is the release date of Volume 2. It looks like it's going to cover the back half of Season 1.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Patter Song posted:

Romance the Three Kingdoms, the book, is fantastic, and I think its influence on LOGH might be more subconscious (Tanaka's drawing most of his direct inspiration from European history) but it is definitely present.

Have you seen the Three Kingdoms TV series? It's a superb series, and it's in a very similar vein to Legend of the Galactic Heroes and quite faithful to the original book. Most people who enjoyed LoGH will enjoy Three Kingdoms.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Have you seen the Three Kingdoms TV series? It's a superb series, and it's in a very similar vein to Legend of the Galactic Heroes and quite faithful to the original book. Most people who enjoyed LoGH will enjoy Three Kingdoms.

(I just negotiated with you long enough for the sun to start shining in your army's eyes, sucker.)

Krampus Grewcock
Aug 26, 2010

Gruss vom Krampus!

Which one?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

my dad posted:

(I just negotiated with you long enough for the sun to start shining in your army's eyes, sucker.)
I am absolutely going to start watching this.

Edit: 15 minutes into the first episode, and this politicking is already delicious.

Zero_Tactility fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Jul 15, 2016

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Ho drat, that looks fantastic

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

I have! I watched LOGH right on the heels of watching that series, and there are quite a few striking similarities.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Yeeesss! The 2010 RotK series is possibly one of the very best adaptations the book ever had.
Liu Bei's Baby Tossing is a highlight.

https://my.mixtape.moe/uavgor.webm

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
PSA: LOGH Volume 2: Ambition has hit bookstores near you (and Amazon). It covers the back half of Season 1.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
First surprising Llvolume 2 discovery: Iserlohn is much smaller than one might think. At 11,300 cubic kilometers (30 km radius), it's about twice as big as Mars's moon Phobos. It's also about 1/10000th the size of our moon.

The Death Star would eat Iserlohn for breakfast.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
This makes it more realistic that one ship was able to capture the entire station. It's portrayed as much bigger in the anime.
Any homo erotic moments?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Baloogan posted:

This makes it more realistic that one ship was able to capture the entire station. It's portrayed as much bigger in the anime.
Any homo erotic moments?

Not yet. Julian just confronted Yang about his drinking, saying that Yang is spending 491% more on booze than he did three years ago.

Either Yang is drinking much nicer stuff than he used to or the guy's blood is more alcohol than blood.

linall
Feb 1, 2007

Patter Song posted:

Not yet. Julian just confronted Yang about his drinking, saying that Yang is spending 491% more on booze than he did three years ago.

Either Yang is drinking much nicer stuff than he used to or the guy's blood is more alcohol than blood.

Julian says he is drinking at least five times more than he used to. Speaks to quantity and not quality in my mind. But it's not like we ever got a reference point on how much Yang was drinking before. If was a once a week man, than sure he is obviously developing a problem but he's no worse off than Schenkopp or Poplin.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
So this point was touched on in the Gaidens, not so much the main series, but Book 2 comes out and says that most of the soldiers are on the scifi equivalent of speed and that, at least for the Alliance, discharged druggie soldiers become criminals pretty regularly.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
Our new, streamlined Terraist slogan is "The Holy Land in our hands."

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

quote:

Unlike Yang Wen-Li, Reinhard von Lohengramm's appearance had been exceptionalism distilled.

His age at that time had been twenty, and in his slender figure could be seen an exquisite balance of grace, strength, and courage. His gently curling, brilliantly golden hair was longer than it had been the previous year and was now worn in a style that resembled a lion's mane. There was not a blemish to be found on his porcelain skin, and there was an exquisite grace to his features. In his person was monopolized all the favor of creation's goddess. Only the flashes of light in his ice-blue eyes made them too sharp, too intense, to liken to an angel...unless perhaps one meant the eyes of the fallen angel Lucifer, who had longed to surpass God himself.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Patter Song posted:

His age at that time had been twenty, and in his slender figure could be seen an exquisite balance of grace, strength, and courage. His gently curling, brilliantly golden hair was longer than it had been the previous year and was now worn in a style that resembled a lion's mane. There was not a blemish to be found on his porcelain skin, and there was an exquisite grace to his features. In his person was monopolized all the favor of creation's goddess. Only the flashes of light in his ice-blue eyes made them too sharp, too intense, to liken to an angel...unless perhaps one meant the eyes of the fallen angel Lucifer, who had longed to surpass God himself.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

quote:

The Empire was, on its surface, in an ongoing state of war with the FPA, yet in the midst of all that, those who held rank within the aristocracy were alone enjoying 'peace within the fortress walls.' While in the blackest void thousands of light-years away wounded soldiers fell trembling with the fear of death, decadent balls were being held under the crystal chandeliers of the royal palace—with the finest champagne, with roast venison stepped in red wine, with chocolate bavarois...There were Persian cats of purest white, blue peral hairpins, amber wall ornaments, vases of white porcelain handed down through the centuries, black sable furs, long dresses adorned with splashes of countless gemstones, stained glass windows rich in color and light...

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe
So...how will LOGH describe a woman?

quote:

Hilda, the count's young daughter Hildegard von Mariendorff, had only just turned 20. Her darkly shaded blond hair was cut short for ease of movement. There was a hard sort of beauty to her features, yet she did not give a cold or harsh impression, a fact likely due to the lively sparkle in her blue-green eyes. These eyes were practically busting with life and vibrant intellect, giving more the impression of an adventurous young boy.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Patter Song posted:

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Patter Song posted:

Are all the character descriptions overwrought in some way or another?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

NGDBSS posted:

Are all the character descriptions overwrought in some way or another?

Yes.

Very much yes.

And they're all homoerotic, to the point where even Hildegard is repeatedly referred to as masculine or mannish in order to praise her and I'm only about 10 pages past where she came into the story. The author repeatedly has to reinforce how much Hilda isn't womanly in order to show that she's a worthy match for our beloved Reinhardo-sama.

EDIT:

Here's another one, Admiral Lynch.

quote:

A man, who was sitting in the corner, not saying a word, let out a heavy sigh. A sigh that reeked of alcohol. A bottle of Rotherham whiskey was in his hand, and its contents had decreased by half since the meeting began. His name was Arthur Lynch. Malicious grumblings came to the surface of Lynch's heart like bubbles in beer.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jul 27, 2016