Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Your bargaining posture is highly dubious.
So who would you guys say is your favorite Imperial Admiral? I've always been something of a Muller man myself but then again Oberstein is also very awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Daryl Surat posted:

J.C. PAUL VON OBERSTEIN~! was never an Admiral! :eng101:

Bittenfeld is my second favorite Imperial Admiral. All the others are tied. Even Mecklinger and his bitch haircut.

Oberstein's rank was Fleet Admiral, right? I mean, I know he wasn't out there making miracles happen but he did his thing and that thing was badass.

On a side note, as I watched the show everytime someone went within range of Thor's Hammer I would end up swearing at my monitor. What is wrong with these people?

Honest Ray fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Aug 29, 2008

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Wahlen was pretty badass. "I can't lose what I already lost." Also I did enjoy Bittenfeld just being a crazy sumbitch all the time.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Eronarn posted:

Recently released high-resolution scans of the original character design sketches from LOGH have been analyzed by forensic scientists and in a stunning turn of events they say that this is all the confirmation they need to prove that Fahrenheit and Muller are not the same person! :science:

I don't see how you could possibly confuse Muller and Fahrenheit. They look totally different.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

I honestly don't see a similarity in the two besides the fact that they are both men.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Eronarn posted:

Cleanshaven, similar hairstyle, similar haircolor, neither have extremely distinctive mannerisms like the other admirals tend to have, I think they're the same rank too. You can tell them apart but they're some of the most similar-looking characters on the show.
You didn't think Muller stood out? I loved "Ironshield" Muller. He was a year younger than Reuental I think and they made a point out of how he wasn't a super admiral but his extreme loyalty to the Kaiser more than made up for it. Go watch Vermillion and tell me Muller isn't the loving man.

Honest Ray fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Sep 25, 2008

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Eronarn posted:

Oh, Muller rules (not as much as Wahlen but...). It's just that until he distinguishes himself it's hard to tell him apart from Fahrenheit, especially since both get fairly limited screen time. It gets easier once only one of them is still alive :v:

Wahlen is pretty much the man in all honesty. "I can't lose what I've already lost!"

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

UserMan posted:

Started watching this after I ran out of Tytania episodes to watch, and I have to say that episode 4 is the most homoerotic thing I have ever seem.

It has to be intentional because holy poo poo its so gay.

I'm sorry you can't appreciate passionate male friendship.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Seriously, would the Rosenritter be half as hard if they just shot dudes? The only way Schenkopp with a gun would work if he merely pistol whipped you to death with it.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

I feel like I'm doing my part because I've gotten about 5 people to watch this series.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

KlavoHunter posted:

It should be noted that every strategy employed by Yang Wenli against Reinhard ultimately all operate on the same goal - the neutralization of Reinhard von Lohengramm. This is of course very much in-character for Yang (and ironically, for Oberstein, too) - Yang would like to keep battlefield casualties to a minimum, and the quickest way to end a battle (Or, indeed, a war) would be by removing the man at the top. In this respect, Reinhard's authoritarian Empire is far more vulnerable to this tactic, since the Empire ultimately relies on his supreme competence, though Reinhard acknowledges this and guides policies to counteract this. Still, the very same tactic is nowhere near as applicable to the democratic Alliance, and this is demonstrated by the fact that the Iserlohn Fleet did not fall apart completely after Yang's death, and that any competent man could succeed him - in this case, Julian Minci - and they STILL went on to win one last battle.

We see this at the 4th Tiamat Battle, where Yang holds Reinhard's flagship hostage with the Ulysses at point-blank range, so that the beaten Alliance fleet can withdraw in peace.

At the Battle of Vermillion, Yang nearly causes the complete collapse of the Imperial invasion by being one order to open fire away from killing Reinhard..

During the Battle of the Corridor, Yang attempts this yet again, but Reinhard manages to fend off the assault intended to threaten his flagship.

Even after Yang's death, Julian manages to use essentially the same tactic all over again, by boarding the Brunhild during the final battle of the series

The last battle of the series, Reinhard let Julian get to him. Muller and Mittermeyer could have gunned his rear end down.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

LoGH fanart amuses and offends my senses.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

I like our forum nameplate shoutout.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Zorak, which side do you prefer? I've sworn fealty to mein Kaiser, naturally. Do you back the Lohengramm Dynasty or Yang and his FPA?

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

So where did you fellow classy gents first hear of this show? I went to a panel about it at an anime convention over the summer in 08 and I decided to burn through the show over my break. I then proceeded to offer anyone I knew who watched anime to give it a try and got my brother and two friends into the show, and both of my friends got people into the show. Its like this web of good taste that forms.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Vir posted:

When I saw the new subforum title, I had to see if we had a thread on it. I just happened to finish this series earlier this fall.

What can I say, I liked it and I didn't mind the length at all. Epic Germans in space. At the same time, I couldn't bear watching more of the considerably shorter series Tytania.

The only real complaint I have against LotGH, is how easily Oberstein was led to rebellion against the Kaiser - in a somewhat cliché fashion, I feel.

Wrong guy there. Ruenthal saw he was getting railroaded what with Lang dicking him, and the Earth Cult setting him up to fall with that rebellion, not to mention his own ambition. I don't think he would have turned without the outside impetus but when he saw what was happening he just embraced it because he was a man of ability and ambition. I hope I'm not getting my timeline messed up.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Is it just me or is Reinhard doing the :3: while ships are blowing up in the background?

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

/\
/\

Love the avatar. I always loved how they hosed with Braunshweigs crew with him.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

To be fair, even if it seems cliche, this show is pretty old so at the time it would have been totally boss.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Is it bad that I bought Sins for the express purpose of using this mod? fun game before, now its going to be amazing. I just need time to play it now.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

I really need to check out some of the LoGH stuff thats outside the main series like the Gaidens. I imagine they are pretty awesome too? Whats the gist of them, which should I start with, etc? On a side note I find if you want o introduce people to the show, the first movie is a great introduction.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

The Oberstein haters need to stop hanging out with Bittenfeld.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

I always loved that part early on.

Yang: You need to call the PKC off of Jessica Edwards

Truniht: Call them off? Those guys are just some rogue group!

Yang: Seriously. Call them off.

Truniht: Fine, whatever.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Popo posted:

Very few of the Admirals struck me as chess players. Maybe Mecklinger, Reunthal and Wolfgang. Bittenfeld strikes me as more of a hungry hungry Hippos kind of dude.

I'm curious as to how the less prominent admirals are portrayed in the novels.

This is the best mental image ever. Thank you for that.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Was not sure where that was going, but then I lost it.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

Reminds me of when I gave a copy of the MST3k ep "parts: the clonus horror" to my philosophy prof since he had us watch the island in class and that was ripped off directly from the lovely 1970s flick :P

"I'm on Biography!"

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

The best part of Tytania was in the first episode when they rolled up into court and just hosed that dude up.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

If there's one thing to complain about in LOGH, aside from the pretty boy-ness of some of the characters, it's the narrator's foreshadowing. They're really, really bad about it sometimes.

And this was the last time the two would share a drink.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

Seriously, gently caress that. Douchebag ruined it for me like FIVE EPISODES before it actually happened.

how about the title to episode 82, The Magician Doesn't Come Home

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Ryand-Smith posted:

I have a humble request for this thread. I would like to know the episodes where Yang goes through the "Alchol is humanity's friend" speech, and the episode where the infamous What is that scene is posted,(god this series was an amazing ride).

I'm pretty sure the alcohol thing is really early on since I remember him wanting some brandy in his tea and Julian not being very helpful on that end.

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

Pandub posted:

I just finished up episode 17. The show pretty much has its claws around me now, and I am really enjoying it.

As for recent developments:

And finally, now a religious cult is emerging. I have a feeling that terrorism can not be far behind.

Terraism :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honest Ray
Feb 10, 2007

DamnGlitch posted:

The real functionality of Oberstein's game plan sets it apart from him just being a dick. I mean, it's completely logical and coldly cruel to the people turned into acceptable losses, but for as hot blooded and 'noble' as reinhard's tactics are they are honestly dumb as poo poo and ep 500 (I think) really shows how lovely any losses are and that there are no good losses, so if there are going to be any the numerically fewest is probably the best course of action.

The fact that you can even make that argument however show how richly realized both of those character's philosophies are. Which makes it that much less impressive how loving one note and lovely the terranists are. The idea behind them is great, cultists who want to return the stage of history to earth, but they are such loving awful caricatures.

I'm going to assume you meant episode 50, but reading episode 500 made me laugh. It is quite a long series, haha.