Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

In the course of attempting to make it for yourself, you'd learn a lot about how to make it for yourself.

Then you could be the go-to guy for the other nine LGH cosplayers in the world. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

The thread's task is not yet done: there are still people out there who haven't seen this show.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Except that the Kaiser's son is implied to be full of just as much promise and genius as his parents. Or even more, since he'll be influenced by Yang-cadet Julian.

It's hard to transition out of a hereditary dictatorship when the guy you have right now seems like such a better ruler than a bunch of squabbling merchants and politicians would be.

Kegslayer posted:

While it's not shown, I always thought that given the 'historical documentary' nature of the series, Reinhard or Mittermeyer's son or one of their descendants ends up uniting the human empire and leading the golden age of humanity with a consitutional monarchy and the whole LOGH becomes part of their history.

"Golden Age" seems a little strong, but yeah, there's definitely still civilization enough to support historians, I got that impression too.

I like that things are left open. Though I was reminded a bit of of Herodotus, and the Athenians and the Spartans being all "Man, it is so great that we worked together to beat the true villains. It would be terrible if we were to turn against each other, so let's never do that!" I'm not exactly sure what analyzing the series as a text from a future culture can tell us, though, since there's not much commentary from "the historian." Maybe there's something in the events he chose to focus on, and the characters he gave to the various actors in the history?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Man, I had totally forgotten that. That is killer.

Show owns forever.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Eiba posted:

~Democracy~

To be clear, I was trying to underline a failure of dictatorship: supporters lionize the current ruler and denigrate the low-status people who would replace him, but it's actually less stable, long-term, than changing ruling parties every few years. I meant that in a way, great dictators are just as bad as bad ones, if not worse, because at least bad ones make the flaws in your system of government more apparent.

I don't know whether the author was trying to communicate that. But again, presenting things like a history deflects the moral judgement.
You can talk about who Napoleon was and what he did, and if you restrict yourself to just events in his life, then you're not writing a gloss on which acts were good and which were bad, you're writing a drama about alternately fierce and fearful personalities, the power and the limits of frail, imperious humans...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

duck monster posted:

Does anyone else get the impression that underlying the basic dynamic here of a ruthless yet surprisingly humane empire vs a corrupt but well intentioned democracy, is a bit of a reflection on Japan itself coming to terms with its own history.

I'm pretty sure anyone who doesn't think this hasn't thought about it enough, or maybe hasn't watched enough Kurosawa movies.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Under 15 posted:

Wanna see a remake of LOGH with Oberstein as unreliable narrator

That is the last adjective I would ever associate with Oberstein.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Because people do weird things when they feel death approaching. It's the ultimate loss of control, which drives a guy like Rubinsky a little nuts.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 21, 2011

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Pimpmust posted:

I can understand the gender roles in the Empire, but that there's not a single female Admiral in the FPA seems a bit weird (yeah, there's a couple of council women around for awhile, but that's not much). It's hundreds of years into the future in a society that's all about equality and freedom etc, so not including a single woman as an admiral just reeks writer/Japanese cultural bias.

Maybe most women just prefer being schoolteachers, mistresses and coffee-servers. :colbert:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

dotJPG posted:

I really wish Creative Assembly would make a Space: Total War so I could make a LOGH mod :spergin:

A page back:

HenryEx posted:

Pretty LoGH-ish, you say.

Yeah, Sins of a Solar Empire is probably your best bet for a game.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

duck monster posted:

Its basically the point though where utilitarianism gets psychotic. Do you permit the murder of millions to save tens of millions, or do you go "Hang the gently caress on this calculus of suffering is very loving evil, need another perspective here!".

Hmm, no, I'm okay with saying that permitting the death of tens of millions seems ten times as bad. The whole nonviolence thing isn't my favoritest part of anime.

But of course the real problem is the epistemological certainty a good person would demand before taking action that would lead to that many deaths. In the moral-hypothetical world of runaway railcars, where you can be told that you "know" what will happen if you do and do not flip the switch, sure, make your call. When you have to take a chance on what you know that you know, it'd might become hellishly difficult to do the right thing.

If we grant the premise, though, it still would in fact be the right thing.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Nephilm posted:

Hey, suspension of disbelief is fine and all, but you're loving retarded if you actively try and defend crazy bullshit logic in words of fiction, as people are doing here.

Nephilm posted:

Ships flying through pseudo-2D hyperspace in bubbles of realspace that merge into each other at close range. Works for me. The fact that they still have manned fighter-craft is kind of silly but at least they make a point of only genetically engineered posthumans being able to withstand the Gs.

quote:

their ears are an stylistic choice more than anything and really have no relevance on what the Abh are or how they behave.

Impressive!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Nephilm posted:

Reinhard with a bouquet larger than his torso... this is... this is too much.

Completely unrealistic, right? It's a simple question of weight ratios.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Takes No Damage posted:

What the hell is your problem, Future Strip Club <:mad:>

Future German Strip Club. :eng101:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

"Before casting out the straw-man in thy brother's eye / seek first to cast out the beam cannon of thine own."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I think this show would (will?) sound loving awesome in french.

Although if it also came with english subtitles, you could learn half the drat language by the time you were through.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Huh. The LoGH author also wrote Arslan. Learn something new every day.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Rime posted:

Now to start on the prequels so I can stave off the feeling of having lost a dear friend for a little while longer.

In my experience, showing it to other people is also effective. It's kinda like The Ring.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

This show will be good, because it will lead to more people watching Legend of Galactic Heroes, which they should, Q.E.D.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

klapman posted:

Just finished episode 82. This is a good show! gently caress!!!

god drat it

I can't laugh, it's too real.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Billzasilver posted:

And whoops, technology got better but communication stayed bad, who would've guessed?

The author, because he chose that condition in order to constrain and support the story, themes, and mood he wanted to convey?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Baloogan posted:

Hilda's first appearance in the novels:

Basically what I expected. Time for me to finally buy book one I think.

More people should read Legend of Galactic Heroes.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Doc Hawkins posted:

Basically what I expected. Time for me to finally buy book one I think.

Okay, I read it, and I'm sure you'll all be surprised to hear it's pretty gaygood.

Personally I can't believe this whole time his name was Wittenfeld!

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

skasion posted:

Both Bittenfeld and Wittenfeld are actual German place names and surnames, hence the confusion.

Ah, in my ignorance Wittenfeld looked more realer.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

In other news of negative opinions, I thought the translation took a noticeable turn for the worse in book 4. Multiple sentences and even paragraphs that I had to stop and re-read to even guess what was intended.

My favorite that really stuck with me: on the subject of a group of ships precisely focusing their fire to pierce the armor of another, "They split it open, scalpel to wound."

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

boredsatellite posted:

Yeah that was pretty trash. Hoping it was done purposely for symbolic reasons but i doubt it

You could write (or translate) a whole space opera in that kind of style, like you're Isaac Allensimov Ginsberg, but they didn't.

E: vv :sweatdrop:

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 2, 2018

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Captain_duck posted:

What the hell, schenkopps design in the new LOGH . He's just an anime prettyboy now

For comparison:

Old Schenkopp:

New Schenkopp:

He's a soldier who fled the empire to the FPA and then worked his way up to the rosenritter. He should not look that young.

I didn't care much about the other redesigns but this is ridiculous.

He was a very small child when his family fled.

Also he's totally an old man, look, there's one, two...at least two wrinkles around his eyes! :v:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

I really like the books.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Chris Knight posted:

The themes chorus sound a bit too much like "Nothing's Gonna Stop Us Now" for my liking, but whatever lol.

it bothers me because, i want it to be that song

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

phongn posted:

The Reply of the Iserlohn Garrison to Kaiser Reinhard

that is fantastic

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

the books are pretty good, more people should read them

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Manyorcas posted:

I know we've had goons younger than the forums as a whole, but I wonder if we have any ADTRW goons younger than this thread yet.

careful

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

it is a theme that there are good and bad results attributable to the two types of government, and i don't blame anyone for finding the comparison repulsive. my perspective is that the political philosophy of the story is heavily rooted in its place and time: post-war japan.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

they even dubbed the song. does anyone still do that?

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

once again i am telling folks who are considering rewatching the show: that's good, me too, but also, read the dang ol books

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

kirtar posted:

I see whoever did the translation on the books couldn't decide between commodore and rear admiral since there have been a few times where it has flip flopped between the two in the same chapter.

based on nothing but my experience reading them, im convinced they changed translators or editors mid-series

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Bad Seafood posted:

Although the Empire is flavored after Germany (with the Federation filling in for the United States), the whole thing's really about Japan. They filed the serial numbers off to better disguise the subject matter, but having read a fair bit of Japanese history and philosophy, once you see it you can't unsee it.

it's extremely this, i'm amazed there's even a debate. specific battles and situations are taken from many historical sources, but the philosophical core of the series is a 30-year-old japanese man writing for a japanese audience in the early eighties about the complex ambivalence they might feel when considering the contrast between democracy and military oligarchy. though of course thatt it resonates with a much wider audience is to his immense credit.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

now lets tell the people in the autism thread about logh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

fudd as narrator