Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh god I finally caught up with this right before the last episode is subbed :smith:

I don't really think there is anything to say about this that hasn't already been said in this thread. I can't believe I hadn't heard about this before as it is pretty much the best animated series I've ever seen. It is definitely dated in terms of animation but it makes up for that in pretty much every other category.

I especially like the way that, despite something happening in every episode, they found enough time for seemingly meaningless dialogue that over time established all of the characters very well (even ones that we saw once and then not again for 50 +episodes). I think that the pacing of LOGH is proof that there really isn't such a thing as a series being stretched out for too long but instead there is only poor use of time in telling a story. LOGH could've been done in 80 episodes tops if they got rid of stuff like the romantic relationships of the admirals, the scenes from the perspective of the Lippstadt nobles, constant mentions of 'if Siegfried Kircheis were alive', and so on but it was precisely that content that made it feel like a story of real people rather than just a spaceship combat show. I'm glad that it got such a long run instead of being limited in length like many other series are because the end product really shows the amount of time that went into telling the story. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Oh goddamnit. Oberstein, nooo! :smith: He was one of my favorite characters and was probably just as vital to Reinhard's success as Reinhard himself was. Reinhard's death didn't feel bad because it had been hinted at for such a long time, but Oberstein dying came out of nowhere. :( It was really cool to see Julian just give in to his anger and shoot the Archbishop, though. He's not the same person Yang Wenli was, and I think part of that was to prove that to himself.

All in all, a satisfying ending, though not very surprising.

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Mulled Ciderbomb posted:

There just weren't many moments of satisfying violence in the series, although the fact that they never resorted to that easy sort of audience pandering is a strong point.

What actually surprised me about the violence was how graphic it was compared to most series. Whenever they cut to the interior of a ship that just got hit, or showed a melee battle, there were people leaking their intestines all over the goddamn place. The Terraist HQ battle was especially gory. I loved it, but it really surprised me the first time I saw it. :pwn:

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Komrade Hitlerstalin posted:

Admiral Bucock, though, holy crap. Now that's what I call dying with honor.

Bucock may have died with honor, but Sitolet kept on fighting with it. Honor... and bees. :clint:

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
So if we are going to make a new thread due to the entire series being subbed, we might want to look into putting out a banner for it, but before we can do that we should figure out what could be in the OP (maybe summaries of just the really major characters, since there are WAY too many to hit all of them). I think it'd be cool to put together something on youtube with the 'historical' clips of the series that Julian watched on the way to Earth that detail the universe, but perhaps something that leaps right into the action would be better? It's not necessarily a show that shows what to expect out of it from the start, after all. A three episode test is really not sufficient.

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I think Bucock and Sitolet might deserve a bit of intro on the Alliance side. They show up in the first few episodes, don't they?

It'd be cool to get a screencap of every named/recurring character and put it all in one huge image. It'd be one or two hundred people, at my guess.

EDIT: probably also Dominique because we have to show that the show isn't all dudes

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
http://www.logh.net/minglogh/LGHmap2.jpg and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:LoGHstarmap.PNG are the only maps I can find :( There are definitely better maps within the series but nobody seems to have uploaded them.

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Wahlen is bitchin'. Also Bittenfeld because he is not a nice person but has amazing characterization. Fahrenheit was the bishiest though :3:

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

bondster posted:

Just watched the first 2 episodes and I have to say, I'm hooked. Its interesting that its anime but by watching it you can tell that its not very anime at all. But I must know before advancing if this is going to turn into a Death Note/Code Geass with JUST AS PLANNED moments, because it seems that there is a Light v. L thing going on here with Golden Boy and Yang.

It's a lot like that except they never yell JUST AS PLANNED at each other and their plans often go wrong and they rarely have counter-plans pre-made but instead make them up on the fly (except that battles take place over days), often taking heavy casualties while they try and rearrange their forces to make up for some critical error or unexpected event, and also lots of characters just flat out die for all kinds of reasons, sometimes even just dumb luck.

So actually it's nothing like that.

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SpaceDrake posted:

So I'm guessing I'm not the only one in this thread looking forward to Tytania and praying to Odin that it doesn't suck. The spirit of LoGH had better live on in that project :argh:. At least the trailer looks totally excellent.

Some of the character designs bugged me a little, and the scenes with the ships didn't look as good as LOGH, but those are really just visual quibbles. I'm sure it'll be quite watchable at worst.

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Eiba posted:

While this topic has everyone's attention, does anyone happen to remember what episode was it where they had a battle set to the entirety of Boléro? I think it was some action around Iserlohn.

That was absolutely beautiful, but I don't even have LOGH on my hard drive anymore, and I don't want to download a hundred episodes again just to look for it.

Almost all of the LOGH battles are uploaded on Youtube. Enjoy!

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Yes, you have to remember, there are literally hundreds of characters in this show and all of them have to get at least a little screen time. This isn't like some TV shows where they start off with a small cast and then when Season 2 starts they need a love interest so they toss one in or whatever - characters show up early on that won't show up in a useful way until much later just because that is the way that the show functions. It describes an entire universe worth of conflict and characters are sometimes out of contact with each other for months just because their careers have them doing different things.

I'd suggest watching the LOGH prequel movie before the first episode, it makes it clear that Yang Wenli and Reinhard von Lohengramm are the main characters and hints at how they will interact with each other later.

EDIT: I've seen the prequel and all of LOGH but I want to rewatch it. Should I watch Prequel->LOGH->Gaiden, or should I watch Gaiden first since I already know LOGH's story?

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

patricius posted:

The only thing I had a hard time with after I got into the show was remembering the names of Reinhard's admirals who had similar character designs.

Recently released high-resolution scans of the original character design sketches from LOGH have been analyzed by forensic scientists and in a stunning turn of events they say that this is all the confirmation they need to prove that Fahrenheit and Muller are not the same person! :science:

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Yes, LOGH does not stand up to the contemporary standard 3ep trial as well as many modern day horrible 12-26 episode trainwreck animes. That's because its storyline is ambitious (and successful) beyond the scope such pithy standards :colbert:

I honestly think that if you treat the prequel as the 3 episode test, it does just fine. The series is a little bit slow, but the movie has a complete battle with both perspectives and it's important to show why things suck in both the Alliance and Empire (incompetence in the military being a parallel to incompetence in the civilian government is a really strong theme in the show).

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Argon-40 posted:

Though, in contrast to the series proper, I don't think they gave out enough names in the movie. There were several characters with a decent amount of screen time whose names were never mentioned. I'm assuming this was because it came out after the series so viewers would have already known who these guys were, so it didn't bother me as much.

I thought that was really weird, yeah. I'm surprised that the subbers didn't add them in themselves because otherwise the show is spot on with providing names during the entire series and it feels like a significant discontinuity. I guess the idea is that people watching it when it came out would've already seen the series, but it makes it confusing to have a character only get 'formally' introduced after you've already watched an entire movie featuring him.

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Honest Ray posted:

I honestly don't see a similarity in the two besides the fact that they are both men.

Cleanshaven, similar hairstyle, similar haircolor, neither have extremely distinctive mannerisms like the other admirals tend to have, I think they're the same rank too. You can tell them apart but they're some of the most similar-looking characters on the show.

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Honest Ray posted:

You didn't think Muller stood out? I loved "Ironshield" Muller. He was a year younger than Reuental I think and they made a point out of how he wasn't a super admiral but his extreme loyalty to the Kaiser more than made up for it. Go watch Vermillion and tell me Muller isn't the loving man.

Oh, Muller rules (not as much as Wahlen but...). It's just that until he distinguishes himself it's hard to tell him apart from Fahrenheit, especially since both get fairly limited screen time. It gets easier once only one of them is still alive :v:

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Ah I see. Still, I don't want to give any false impressions about the pace of the show. It almost never moves very quickly; one might use "deliberate" or "inexorable" to describe it, but I am not sure I would say it ever "picks up" at least by contemporary standards. But that is subjective and I don't know exactly how Mokinokaro meant it.

I see it as kind of like real history or politics. Sometimes stuff happens in an instant, while other times it's the slow culmination of multiple factors. Important events can range from a certainty to a freak coincidence. The only reason that LOGH even has 'arcs' is because they're defined by whatever the most important military or political conflict was at the time. There are always unrelated things going on that range from taking place in a single episode to spanning multiple arcs.

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Astroman posted:

Here's an interesting question:

If Kircheis had lived, would Reinhard have been as successful? If Kircheis had moderated him so much, might he have even lost to the Alliance before he could conquer them, especially if he didn't even conquer them?

No way. The Alliance had way too many domestic problems for this to be a serious possibility. There might've been a much more protracted war, but the Alliance was more or less doomed as long as the Empire was doing something effective (even if it did it more slowly). You would have to take Reinhard out of the picture entirely for this to be plausible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eronarn
May 15, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

well that's interesting