Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Never has there been a thread title so appropriate, this show is fantastic.

I put off watching it until now because I hate war drama political crap, and I'm still not sure why I decided to download the first batch, but I am simply amazed at the quality and complexity of the story and characters which is at the same time easily digestible and suitably paced. I'm only 20 episodes in and I can't wait to see the rest.

What is wrong with the world that this isn't more popular? What is wrong with Japan that so few things seem to approach a 20 year old series in overall quality?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
KIRCHEIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was not expecting that to happen for at least 50 more episodes, now I'm really interested in how this will go.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
And even if you don't remember all of their names, they have really distinct faces :)

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I'm also about halfway through, and I was not only surprised but a little disappointed by the spats of ultraviolence. It was mostly one episode that was guilty where they showed people inside the ships as they were exploding, but before then it had been tastefully restricted to getting shot/axed with appropriate levels of blood. It's not that I'm sensitive to this or anything, but it really stands out among the rest of the show as if it doesn't belong.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I get the point, but it really seemed to needlessly smack you in the face with it when the rest of the show doesn't. There were some guys being locked out by a bulkhead who got blown up, others staggering around and falling, a missing limb or two, this all fit fine. But then there was the guy pulling his guts in without anything nearby that would have caused such an injury, and another who crawled in from off frame looking like he was simply mortally wounded until you see everything below the waist is missing; I think these were excessive.

It's not like there's nothing to keep the theme going outside of space battles either. Quite a bit of brains in the small scale gunfights, and one shot of a guy stepping into a pool of blood where his subordinate's head should have been without even flinching.

It's just my opinion, but I hope there isn't much more of that coming up.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Holy poo poo this show has balls, 82: I never expected this to happen. They killed him off, how the hell are they going to continue? Such a terrible way to die, too.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
83 and 84 weren't surprising, just realistically sad :confused:

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
They foreshadowed that either Yang or Julian would die but I guess I fell into the trap Mrs Yang did about thinking he would never die. Now I'm all antsy about whether Mittermeyer or Reuental will bite it next since they've also had their last meeting according to the narrator :mad:

Show is still really awesome, and the gore factor has been back to normal since that one episode I mentioned. Gonna be sad when I finish it.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Some of us like to post about it before we've finished all 110 episodes :ssh: I know I'd be pretty pissed if any of the big deaths got spoiled for me, and I always thought the unwritten rule here was to spoil major events in a series once it's been over for a while for the people who didn't watch as it aired.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Welp, serious anime is dead to me. This series played out like an epic of old and had so much to back it up as well, such a shame nothing else seems to come close. That goes for all of TV and most movies too, the lowest common denominator is killing entertainment. If this were ever dubbed (or the novels translated?) I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anybody.

The only complaints I have are things that don't make sense in this future world except to advance the plot. I can accept the relatively crude means of warfare because it made the show intriguing, but my main gripe is this: They have all this advanced technology, but there's still mysterious diseases they can neither recognize nor treat? It would have made more sense in the setting to have had someone be poisoning him slowly as part of the Terraist conspiracy, it was just so unsatisfying to see how it ended like that.

I don't know, I'm not good with words so have these pictures Zorak posted a few months ago:

And I'm sure it's been asked several times already but I couldn't find it at a quick glance and it's not in the OP: What order do the various gaidens and movies go in and which are or aren't subbed yet?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Zorak posted:

Such things happen. They're not always curable.
It's more how the situation came about and their attitude towards it that bothers me rather than the point that was being made. "Oh, he gets mysterious fevers quite often but we're not going to bother figuring out what it is until he's dying." Reinhard himself was retarded in this regard, which I guess isn't out of character, but nobody else around him seemed to care enough to intervene either. Not even his wife and closest friends who were played up as so devoted to the empire's prosperity they would risk his wrath to speak against his opinions.

edit: I hate starting new pages, this show is awesome.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Zorak posted:

Everyone was worried, but doctors couldn't find out anything, so what are you going to do? Everyone assumed he was just stressed as heck (which was part of why he got so bad), though towards the end everyone was fairly certain things were going badly, but nobody quite knew how.
I got the impression they gave him a quick looking over and decided it wasn't serious despite how frequent it was, and that he tried to hide it from everybody and didn't cooperate when conscious. Obviously they could find out what it was because they eventually did once Mecklinger started choking the guy after Reinhard outright collapsed. It just irritates me that they could have identified it sooner and done something to prolong his life and set the universe in order, I hate when people do incredibly stupid things like that because it's ~THE PLOT~

And believe me, I don't need any lessons on the walls medical science has run into.

Nate RFB posted:

Good info.
So nothing comes after the series? Kind of annoying they don't do batch torrents for the gaidens :raise:

Swilo fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 14, 2010

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

DamnGlitch posted:

They spend literally the last third of the series trying to figure out what the gently caress is wrong with reinhard before ultimately figuring out it was the genetic disorder.

More than anything the various gunshot wound deaths bother me more than anything, considering the assurance in an earlier episode that so long as you aren't exploded you are basically curable. Ruental in particular was like "Okay gently caress that you could have done SOMEthing for him.

Maybe you watched a different show than I did, I only remember two or three instances where doctors were actually involved and nobody spoke of it unless he was resting during a battle. During the final battle there was a team on hand and that's when it actually got diagnosed, but before then nothing.

Yeah some of those were annoying. Fodder people go down in one body shot (terraists lol) but people like Reuental and Schenkopp take forever and lose enough blood for ten men. Then Merkatz has a beam fall on his legs and he's done.

Swilo fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Mar 14, 2010

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I started to lose some interest around 90, but a good part of that was watching an average of 2 hours a day. Obviously some parts are better than others, or you may subjectively find more interesting, but there's no arc I would say is bad or skipable.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Luke Johnson posted:

Poor Eisenach, there's a table full of the finest strategic minds in the galaxy behind him and nobody wants to play chess with him. :sigh:
Well to be fair to everybody else, he never speaks.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Gils posted:

Would anyone happen to know somewhere I could get the sound clip of just that scene? It's just such a great moment, but google/youtube never had good results.
You're going to have to rip it out of the episode yourself, or get someone else to. Do you want the video too, or just audio?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

Luke Johnson posted:

He's the guy who did the Let's Watch in TVIV, so he's seen it before. Episode 50 is about where poo poo gets real.
Just like to quote this again, in case it wasn't obvious from his post that he's seen the show before.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
I wouldn't say they get episodes, but anybody with a name is pointed out for many reasons. You'll get familiar with the major players after a while, but even the ones with bit roles are usually involved in something big and get referenced later on.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD

bondster posted:

Found this in the related videos : https://youtu.be/I-Dp8MeW_nA (MASSIVE SPOILERS)

It's so perfect :allears:

It is so incredibly perfect, thank you for posting.

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
Three Kingdoms is right up your alley if you enjoy LoGH, and the TV adaptation is 95 episodes of glorious revelry. Big recommend.