Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Honest Ray posted:

Is it just me or is Reinhard doing the :3: while ships are blowing up in the background?

Well to be fair they ARE alliance ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gary Mitchell posted:

Did you notice that not once, but twice the Alliance lost an entire carrier of Spartanians thanks to one loving Valkyrie?

I love sci-fi without shields!

There have shields they are only effective at super long range though, to keep off pot shots.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Vir posted:

Wonder if it might be lazy writing when extending the length of the battle.

It was nice to see more of the behind-the-scenes machinations going on, but since I remember how and why the battle went the way it did, I felt a bit like I did when watching Babylon 5: In the Beginning - no dramatic tension because we all know what happens, and the action scenes and other extra scenes weren't engaging enough to distract from that.

I what I enjoyed the most was the part of the episode which was just music - the day/evening of the engagement. That was nice.

I doubt it was lazy writing, or rather, I'm not sure that writing was really intended to be the highlight of it. Rather "Hey remember that short rear end battle from the beginning of the show? Wanna see it with a loving onscreen set up and lots of money thrown into the animation budget? Me too!"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Last Emperor posted:

Probably one of my favourite series.

I've never watched any of the Gaiden episodes though, how does it compare?

I'm gettin ready to watch them and I am approaching with the point of view that there is no way they can compare with the main series, but that they will hold super awesome info and drinking sprees with space bros yang wenli and dusty, space bros mittenmyer and reauyital (SP? wtf), and super space bros reinhard and kirchies.

There really should be a gaiden called "Alcohol is mankind's friend. How can I abandon a friend?" where it's 5 eps of all the cool characters hanging out in various space bars getting space drunk and getting into space brawls.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Yes, this would rule on so many levels.

We came up with a drinking game while watching: It's got two parts.

Alcoholic version: Take a drink every time someone drinks on the show.

Narrator is a dick version: Every time the narrator goes "And then the real suffering was yet to come" or is a downer in general, drink until he stops.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gils posted:

I seem to recall that being more subtle than I remember the narrator being for Mittermeyer and Reuental having their last drink together before Reuental left Phezzan. That was straight up, 'never did this again' whereas Yang was obvious but never explicitly stated, as far as I remember.

Also, after I finished I was desperate to see if the narrator was in anything else since he was so awesome, and it turns out he died some time ago. Sad.

I love the narrator, and I think him not being there would take a lot from the series, but it is fun to "gently caress you narratorrrrrr!!!! :argh:" when he's a bastard. It's a part of the show but it's fun to blame everythingbad on what the narrator says.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

I don't think it was during previews, though, but the actual end of the episodes.

Yeah. Or, worse so, many of the titles, which is why it's good they are revealed at the end, butttt.... I was so pissed when I was away from my computer and went to look for eps on youtube, and they were sorted by NAME and I was on like ep 45 and saw a future episode named "THE DEATH OF REAUENTAL" and I was like "FUCKKKKK"

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Jan 29, 2010

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Eiba posted:

The first couple episodes were shown at an anime club I went to and everyone made fun of the animation, or lack thereof, and the numerous conversations. It was later only known as that weird German anime where everyone stood around talking.

Perhaps that helps answer your question.

So why do you spend your free time hanging out with philistines and retards?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Eiba posted:

Hmm. I never looked at it that way. From now on I'll be sure to make everyone I might consider being friends with watch LoGH, and I shall summarily shun them if they have anything but a euphoric reaction.

After all, an individual has no possible merit if they don't see the genius of my favorite cartoon.

(I actually met the biggest LoGH/Gundam/Mecha fan I know in real life at that club... in fact the only LoGH fan I know in real life... making that club a very good place to meet people who liked LoGH, relatively speaking!)

You sarcasm does not change that they are still wrong and stupid (your friend being the exception.)

I am spitting bold proclamations, but these proclamations be SOUND.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Dune is kind of screwed by the psychic powers taking the forefront and then each descendant of paul needing to be better than the last. It's got some real good political action but as far as a really fleshed out and realized universe Galactic heroes is far and beyond much better.

Not to mention, but as far as I know kevin J anderson hasn't even heard of LoGH.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Swilo posted:

They foreshadowed that either Yang or Julian would die but I guess I fell into the trap Mrs Yang did about thinking he would never die. Now I'm all antsy about whether Mittermeyer or Reuental will bite it next since they've also had their last meeting according to the narrator :mad:

Show is still really awesome, and the gore factor has been back to normal since that one episode I mentioned. Gonna be sad when I finish it.

Well yeah, that ep (50 or 52 or whatever) isn't like "Okay bitches time to get xxxxtreme!" It's to detail something we hadn't really been exposed to in the series, which is of course how all those people on those ships actually die. It's not just "poof" smoke, and then nice quiet painless death. It's basically the worst thing ever and you should know that both yang and reinhard do that to thousands of people almost every episode :psyduck:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Food Court Druid posted:

Yeah, I would agree that this was the point of that episode, but it does kind of weirdly jar with the rest of the series. I mean, is the viewer supposed to go "Yeah, the plot of the series is just petty power struggles that cost millions of lives. Now let's watch 58 more episodes of those power struggles."

I'm 64 episodes in, and it seems like there's some leftist junior director struggling against the generally conservative tone of the series. 51, that episode on the rural border planet, and the history of Earth episode all seem to have this kind of divergent message from the rest of LoGH.

Earth history episode and kaiser history episode are some of my favorite. It underlines the historical tone of the series and beyond that are really cool and interesting. Fleshing out sci fi series in a believable way always gets my support.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zorak posted:

You have to keep in mind with Reinhard that different people and cultures have different priorities. Quite a few of Reinhard soldiers are GLAD to sacrifice their lives for him; they see him as some sort of God incarnate. Reinhard risks his own life often in battle, and thus his men respect him since he's as willing and at as much of a risk to die as them.

However, of course, as time goes on his men don't WANT him risking his life, so you get stuff like the sheet thing.

I like oberstein for being an enigma. He's a cool cat but made to look bad at almost everything he does because it is really counter-culture. I call him the space douche, but aside from heinessen he does things right.

As for reinhard and his amazing strategy (which didn't even work), I think that really went to show what sort of tactics he found suitable in a world without kirchiess. There is no way in hell red would have let reinhard go ahead with that plan if he were alive. I think with kirchiess alive reinhard would have survived longer, simply by merit of the campaigns being fought by kirchiess, and all that stress not being on reinhard.

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 4, 2010

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

sensual benny posted:

The story would be a lot less tragic, but probably also less interesting :P

Oh, certainly. I'm merely saying that it's somewhat obvious that the whole thing would have gone much more bloodlessly and succesfully had kirchies lived. It's interesting to think about, but in terms of the series it's certainly better that he died.

My girlfriend has been worrying about what will happen ever since he croaked and I'm looking forward to her seeing just how it plays out :P

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Mar 4, 2010

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kweh posted:

damnglitch don't spoil who dies without spoilers!

I changed it, but really it's the end of the thread and as much as I want people to watch LoGH and not be turned off I think it's kind of ridiculous to spoiler out things on a 2 year old series, 38 pages in no less.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

Especially in a thread, you know, for getting new blood to watch.

Yeah but the thread is 6 years old and there's new material coming out.

But whatever mans, black boxes for all

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Astroman posted:

Here's an interesting question:

If Kircheis had lived, would Reinhard have been as successful? If Kircheis had moderated him so much, might he have even lost to the Alliance before he could conquer them, especially if he didn't even conquer them?

No they would have never ever EVER lost. The only thing I can think of is that maybe, just maybe the terrans might have put up a bigger fuss trying to assassinate reinhard early on if kirchis was still alive, but there is no way the alliance was ever going to 'win'. On the OTHER hand, with K still around it's very possible that the empiure would not have expanded to engulf the entire galaxy, and rather established diplomatic relations and a cease fire. SO in that sense the alliance doesn't become bunk, and the empire doesn't conquer the galaxy, but they really haven't won, just not been wiped out.

Also, there would have been in general many less strategically useless battles such as geiersburg v. iserlohn, or at very least have successfully taken out iserlohn. If the (awesome looking but pointless) station v station battle hadn't taken place, it would have left among other things another space station laying around for when the alliance was holed up in there with no real way to get in besides a battle of attrition, and could have been used to destroy the last seed of democracy

DamnGlitch fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Mar 9, 2010

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Swilo posted:

I got the impression they gave him a quick looking over and decided it wasn't serious despite how frequent it was, and that he tried to hide it from everybody and didn't cooperate when conscious. Obviously they could find out what it was because they eventually did once Mecklinger started choking the guy after Reinhard outright collapsed. It just irritates me that they could have identified it sooner and done something to prolong his life and set the universe in order, I hate when people do incredibly stupid things like that because it's ~THE PLOT~

And believe me, I don't need any lessons on the walls medical science has run into.

So nothing comes after the series? Kind of annoying they don't do batch torrents for the gaidens :raise:

They spend literally the last third of the series trying to figure out what the gently caress is wrong with reinhard before ultimately figuring out it was the genetic disorder. It's hard to say they weren't trying because for fucks sake he's the most powerful man in the entire galaxy. They were desperately trying but first they are treating symptoms then they are trying to develop a treatment for a disease they didn't even know existed until shortly before.

More than anything the various gunshot wound deaths bother me more than anything, considering the assurance in an earlier episode that so long as you aren't exploded you are basically curable. Ruental in particular was like "Okay gently caress that you could have done SOMEthing for him.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

sensual benny posted:

It's all thematic and emotional and dramatic. Even if someone's injuries "shouldn't have" killed them in the medical climate that you imagine would exist in that universe, that shouldn't really be a concern. People die because they were written to, and that's really all you need when appreciating a dramatic work. You can read into their deaths whatever you want, but it goes against the idea of letting someone else tell you a story to criticize things like that. That's just my opinion and my understanding of the nature of fiction, anyway.

Unfortunately that goes counter to the nature of science fiction at times, whose primary purpose is to develop a universe with it's own laws and then function according to them. So when we are told explicitly that people don't die except for extreme cases it's sucky when they do for what seems even to us to be trivial.

Obviously, reuental wanted to die, I'm just saying that they could have easily saved him, and to spend the entire goddamn trip sitting on the bridge not having his life saved is sort of... odd. It's obviously a thematic concern but in terms of timing and the 'physics' of that world he went above and beyond what someone would expect for a person who is injured.

Red got the poo poo killed out of him which made it believable. In other cases it was a slow whithering death which goes against what the show has told us, and that where I take issue, or at least point it out. If they simply hadn't made that assertion, I'd likely be fine (the case of Reuental being an exception because he really did try and kill himself in the end)

The point is you can have thematic deaths, but you should check your continuity if in the FIRST EPISODE you say "yeah people don't just die for the most part"

As for the other part, it's not as if being shot doesn't incapacitate you in LoGh, just that if they get care they probably would be saved. Most of the fodder 'deaths' are fairly sensible (in that it would be unlikely that they would get care in time so you leave them).

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AzraelNewtype posted:

Your first mistake is believing that this series is science fiction.

I'm sorry, are we watching the same show?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

sensual benny posted:

What is this quote you guys are talking about? I don't remember this.

I think his point is that despite using a sci-fi setting its really more of an opera or tragedy. The idea behind sci-fi, as a genre, is examining the implications behind certain advances, whereas technology and space really mean nothing to LoGH and it could be easily presented in other contexts.

Well it is manifestly a science fiction show, and goes out of its way to illustrate the consequences of the show even being a space opera / tragedy. Tends of millions of people dying in a single battle being one of the highlights of that, and showing us the horrific reality of that in order to really not let us forget that for all the honor and idealism of a lot of the battles, it still represents a horrible slaughter of more or less innocent people.

To say its not sci fi, or to simply ignore that it has science fiction elements, is almost willfully ignorant. It's not science fiction in the strictest sense, as only a vehicle to examine some scientific idea, but to say the show that takes great lengths to show off and support its futuristic and scientific nature as 'not sci fi' is stupid. Star wars is a mix of sci fi and fantasy, but its still has sci fi elements. Just because LoGH is a wonderful tragedy and drama doesn't mean it stops being a show set in the far off future with delightfully developed science fiction ideas.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AnacondaHL posted:

watch 1-81

Don't do that.

Watch the whole thing, it's all good.

Just a little slow in the beginning (though retroactively awesome if you ever go back and rewatch it). The extra episodes after the main series vary in quality, but the series itself is golden all the way through

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

sensual benny posted:

Overture To a New War should do a lot for the beginning; it smooths things out and makes a lot of stuff a lot clearer a lot earlier.

On that subject, no, it doesn't get worse. It goes through changes, always for the better.

Yeah, It's pretty great but the only downside is the animation on that is better than the series in general so it can be jarring. I personally loved watching the first episodes again simply because all of the people you get to know and love are already there for the most part, so the various flashing names that seem impossible to remember actually are like "oh poo poo, it's mittenmyer! Woo!"

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Eisenach is super duper awesome for a guy that literally get's less than 20 minutes screen time in the entire 100 + episode series.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AzraelNewtype posted:

Official: The books are wildly inferior and should be ignored.

Jesus christ yes gently caress that noise dusty is the pimpinest [celibate] admiral!

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Paracelsus posted:

Yet ships were blowing up all around command ships a lot of the time. Mostly they just seemed lucky that the enemy was aiming at the ship a bit above and off to the side.

In retrospect maybe, but it's not like characters didn't have hidden agendas and that look Emil gave was seriously sketchy.

Real post the ships blowing up around the command is for dramatic effect. Plus plot armor. In terms of in world explanations you'd have to assume the density of ships in front of the command ships would probably be much greater so as to not allow it through ,which would not be the case in the surrounding ships.

I had no remote inclination that emil was doing anything sketchy but I really thought they were going to do something more with his character. Honestly I figured the show would have done another time skip and had him be the one to find the cure for reinhard, or something to that effect, since both the disease and Emil's aspiration to be a doctor are revealed at about the same time.

The alliance also starts putting together new fleets just before ragnarok busts through but yeah it was pretty much too little too late. The series dealt with the alliance's depletion of ships very well I thought.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Zorak posted:

BAD NEWS: We didn't watch it, since he didn't get a chance to screen it first :ohdear:

GOOD NEWS: He plans on watching it himself tomorrow since he's extremely interested, and plans on emailing me his thoughts/ about the stuff if he continues on :woop:

Reminds me of when I gave a copy of the MST3k ep "parts: the clonus horror" to my philosophy prof since he had us watch the island in class and that was ripped off directly from the lovely 1970s flick :P

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Gary Mitchell posted:

I was bored yesterday and decided to drop myself in the middle of the series somewhere and enjoy some good ol' LoGH without starting at the beginning. Except I picked somewhere in the mid 30's and got 5 straight episodes of NOTHING HAPPENING. Although I know a lot more about the palace on Odin (I'm not going to look up the spelling :eng99: ).

The episode titles are mostly vague to me because I always ignored them for spoiler's-sake. Which episodes kick off the good poo poo?

What the hell just start the series at the beginning it's in the middle of a battle.

But if you are watching this series just for fighting, go and watch bleach or some poo poo you are barking up the wrong tree.

AS for the guy who recommended watching the gaidens... I disagree, I found those especially boring and drawn out. I haven't seen them all mind you (cant figure out what the gently caress order they are in...) but what happens in them is like super drawn out and the animation style bugs me. I can't remember an episode that bored me out of the original series.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AzraelNewtype posted:

The fact that he's seen it before doesn't make it less terrible.

After seeing that was the case, I almost edited my post. But then I was like, "gently caress that, all of galactic heroes is awesome."

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Konsek posted:

Can someone explain to me what the deal is with corridors? I'm up to episode 30 now and I've never quite worked out why they all have to meet at Iserlohn (or Phezzan I guess) instead of just going around it.

Quite simple. The areas around are dense with black holes and stars I believe, and those areas are the only two safe routes between empire space and republic space.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Kopijeger posted:

Having watched the entire series and side stories I found the series very enjoyable. But one thing that bothers me about it is the short timeline, where Reinhard accomplishes far too much in the space of a mere five years. Friedrich IV makes him Fleet Admiral in charge of half the imperial fleet when he is twenty years old, and he rules the entire inhabited galaxy at twenty-five. It would seem more reasonable if it happened over a period of twenty years, say, where he entered the military at age twenty, spent several years rising through the ranks and gathering allies and made emperor when he was in his thirties at the earliest. Then again, unreasonably young protagonists are a staple in anime.

Well it also serves to enforce that he's a wunderkind, and honestly that sort of thing has historical precedence. This is just on a galactic scale. Yang is like 30, officially making him amongst the most elderly of anime main characters.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Eiba posted:

This is a really trivial and silly question for such a good show but it's proven a contentious point of debate with my friend:

Are the Free Planets Alliance uniforms ever straight black?
I always thought they were a really dark green, but he's showed me a bunch of pictures from the show where they seem to be pretty unambiguously black, that my brain just never processed as black before. Do they change at some point, or is it just poor contrast?

(I'd feel worse about bumping this thread for this question, but it really deserves all the attention it can get, for whatever reason.)

This is just a guess, but I'd imagine they are intended as black and painted dark blue so you don't lose detail?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AzraelNewtype posted:

Those cels are totally green, there's not even a question here. I suggest you fix your friend fix his eyes and/or monitor.

It depends on the contrast. At certain contrasts that is very obviously green and others its so black you'd wonder where anyone could possibly get green.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I thought the OVA were kind of lame; they aren't hand drawn so the cheap animation looks even worse and for the most part the stories aren't compelling enough to justify the number of episodes dedicated. That said, it's free, it's more LoGH, and at worse it'll set you back a few hours if you don't care for them.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

gst_Spectre posted:

Oh god. Just watched episode 82. I seriously yelled at the screen the entire episode. I don't know how I'm going to finish the series without Yang around. So depressing.

I'm not sure what counts as spoilers, but I don't want to take any chances. Such a powerful episode. This show is amazing.

Yeah it's best to spoil things, since we are always trying to attract new viewers, though I don't know what kind of knuckle head jumps to the back of a ancient thread expecting not to be spoiled.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Breaky posted:

Just ran through this whole series in the past few weeks. Really great stuff.

I wish I could remember which ep but when Julian was trying to wake up Yang and Yang was saying "but there's peace in my dreams" and threw up the V from under the covers I lost my poo poo laughing..

I've had this quote on my facebook for a while now

Yang Wenli posted:

Alcohol is a friend to humanity. Can I abandon a friend?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Manyorcas posted:

My friend and I just finished watching the series over the last six months.

Tea and brandy.
Broken wine glasses.
Battleaxes.
Pensions.
Oberstein being the biggest galactic boogyman there ever was.
MOTHERFUCKING ZEPHYR PARTICLES.

:911: Oh my god I am a better person now, thank you ADTRW.

Now go forth and spread the word my son.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

mrking posted:

I just watched though first third, and I would say its somewhere in in the 30s range of episodes. It happens somet time after they take Iserlohn. Sorry I can't be more helpful

Yeah, julian is always harping on him, but as Yang becomes more and more instrumental a few characters mention he needs to cut down on his drinking, which had increased. Iwanna say it happens when julian goes to earth? I think it's something he tells Yang before leavings "eat good and don't drink so much while I'm gone sheesh!"

love anime drinkin woop

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

thalheim posted:

Close; it's before Julian goes to Phezzan. Episode 39, 15 minutes in.

Ah! It was something. Fucker just keeps travelin' places.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

I'm not sure why it's escapist, but I also don't know what criteria you are using. It's pretty in your face about human shittiness.

But it just gets better man. IT GETS EVEN BETTER.

This is the one anime I was able to get my ex INTO. Like, not just to watch to humor me, but one she actually was into. She hated star trek, anime, lots of stuff I was into, but we got like 70 episode into this before we broke up, which is goddamn amazing.