Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!

Zorak posted:

Stickying for a few days because, you know, what the hell. We can have two stickied threads telling people to watch LOGH. Sure, maybe it IS pushing something I like a bit too much but more people need to watch this poo poo.

Oh fine, I'll watch the drat thing :). Downlaoded it a while ago, watched the first ep, and got a bit overwhelmed, but I'll go ahead and jump back on, why not.

Just give me a day or so to recover from School Days, just finished it tonight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

As long as these commoners keep coming, the mountain of corpses will keep growing!
Finally finally finished this great series. Won't be long, I reckon, before I start the whole drat thing over again.

aparmenideanmonad posted:

However, I think Yang's death hits the viewer harder than anything else.
What really does it too, more than his death itself at the end of that episode, was the aftermath of his death in the next. Personally though I somehow found Reuental's death even harder hitting, that dude's life and death were straight up tragic. Finally, one thing that struck me as being fitting as it was frustrating was the complete lack of fanfare over Oberstein's death. That guy was a positively fascinating character.

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

Dire Penguin posted:

Even though he's a filthy fascist I can't help but love Reuental. Norio Wakamoto... :swoon:
Personally I thought the finale of Reuental's arc was the most affecting and humanizing moment in the starry collection of affecting moments that is the latter half of LoGH.

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

To me it seems weird that anyone would expect newsreel level accuracy in political machinations between two future space superpowers in a series like this. It paints in very broad strokes in order to convey it's themes within a very very very large in-show universe. I think the disconnect that occurs for a lot of people who find it underwhelming may come from the fact that there are an insanely small number of shows that would go into this much detail to begin with, so some people would understandably describe it as being extremely realistic when mentally they are comparing it to the way other shows, movies, books, etc. handle the same sort of subject matter. Then people with more than a passing knowledge on the subjects come in expecting all the world from it due to the glowing praise and are disappointed by the fact that it's still just entertainment.

Nonetheless personally I still think the show does a hell of a job of chronicling and satirizing the most basic tenants of government and war for a general audience from it's point of view that "in every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same".

Grenadier
Oct 15, 2004

^My problem with you specifically however is that you think you've stumbled upon some unseen flaw in this show and that your vast intellect has gazed through the mists of hype and seen the reality which...in reality everyone already knew. It's bound by the structure of video entertainment but your critiques of its supposed problems are ridiculously petty and misguided, and it's message is much more valuable and universal than you give it credit for.