Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Directed by: Charles Shyer
Starring: Jude Law, Susan Sarandon, Marisa Tomei, Omar Epps, Nia Long, Gedde Watanabe

A remake of Michael Caine's 1966 film, Alfie is about a limo driver who lives the night life and uses women. However, he finally begins to see the consequences - losing parts of himself as well as close friends. Jude Law narrates the movie, stopping here and there to give you details, as he moves from woman to woman, problem to problem. Alfie begins to realize that his lifestyle only provides pleasure, and will leave him alone. He begins to turn over a new leaf, only to find out taking the high road is a lot harder than he thought.

The Good: Jude Law. If you like Jude Law, you'll like this movie. It's basically the Jude Law show for two hours. It's not particularly clever, but it's amusing enough for a date movie.

The Bad: Everybody else. You really don't give two shits about anybody else. Everybody but Jude Law comes off as unimportant because they have so little depth and meaning toward Alfie's journey in the long run, save Marisa Tomei's character. Also, you never really feel bad for Alfie and his problems - you never actually believe he'll be in real trouble, and thus have no reason to empathize with him. His tantrums are hard to sympathize with as well - Law's trademark is his smile, and it's hard to believe he ever gets upset.

The Ugly: Susan Sarandon's cleavage. Gah.

Bottom line - you'll only really care about this movie if you like Law.

RATING: 3.5

PROS: Jude Law
CONS: Susan Sarandon; The lack of depth to anybody but Law's character

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375173/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aquasol
Jun 23, 2003

Destroy all dreamers w/ debt + depression...
I really liked this movie. Jude Law is such an rear end in a top hat throughout most of it but he's an rear end in a top hat in this really charming way and I didn't have trouble getting attached to his character. The trouble with this is that the movie starts out as a mild comedy but then quickly spirals down into a really sad, involving experience that I wasn't prepared for. The ending was like a sucker punch. I haven't seen the original, however, so I don't know how faithful it is to it, or if it improves on it in any way.

I voted 4.5. If you're unsure, catch a matinee or wait for a rental, but at least give it a shot, even if you are ambivalent to Jude Law.

Indigentia
Jun 27, 2004

PREHISTORIC DIATRIBE COMMENCE
Saw this film with my fiance.

We were both pretty surprised by how much of an rear end in a top hat Jude Law's character is portrayed as. The film also offers few apologies for his behavior, which was my main beef with it. Here is this guy - he's a total player, a swinger, and he knows it and none of these women do. For a portion of the film, at least.

All in all, a bit of a downer. As the original poster said, it's essentially the Jude Law show. Jude Law is a talented, good-looking guy. And that is all I have to say. Voted 3.5.

BrunchTime833
Oct 9, 2003

*rejoins the ancestors*
Pros: Jude Law was pretty good.

Cons: Not as good as Michael Caine, I didn't really like the original, despite the fact Michael Caine is my favorite.

3.5 because Jude Law had big shoes to fill, and did it pretty well.