Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
Directed by: Preston Sturges
Starring: Barbara Stanwyck, Henry Ford

1941, Preston Sturges has become the first writer/director of the talking era. He made 7 fanstastic movies in 4 years and then went pretty silent himself.

I pretty much hate romcoms. They annoy me. They so cater to women and their apparent disdain for any semblance of logic in a story that I projectile vomit when some cute guy meets the cute girl in some ridiculous way.

This is a romatic comedy (or more properly, a screwball comedy), with some brains.

Barbara Stanwyck and her father are crooks. They are on an ocean liner and she cons guys by making them fall for her and he is a card shark. She sets her sights on handsome, wealthy, booze heir, Henry Fonda. She easily beats out all the other female competition for him and practically wraps him around her finger.

The problem is, she starts falling for him as well. There's some funny scenes where her father is still trying to con him and she's trying to save him. But, he learns of her true identity and is heartbroken that she was just duping him, even though she wasn't. They part company.

Another crook lets them know of his scam of posing as a English Lord and card sharking all the rich new englanders. Barbara learns that Henry is one of the regulars up there and she plots to get back at him further. She becomes Lady Eve, the Lord's niece and everyone is smitten with her charms. Including Henry. The unbelievable points being that he doesn't quite recognize her as the same woman.

This is a 1941 movie where the guy is the goody-goody sap, the gal is the street-smart crook, the dialogue is smart and snappy, and the movie provides lots of twists.

I <3 Barbara Stanwyck after seeing this and recommend it for even those who hate romantic comedies.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Witty, sexy
CONS: A few unbelievable scenes

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0033804/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Didn't like it much. Didn't like the characters, didn't like the jokes, didn't like the barrage of pratfalls, didn't like the ending. It pretty much sucked. Rating: 1.5