Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
Directed by: Hal Walker
Starring: Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Dorothy Lamour

WWII was on in 1940 and Paramount decided they needed some fantasy. Travel picks to lift peoples' spirits during the tough times. They tapped crooner Bing Crosby and hottie Dorothy Lamour and 3rd tier comic Bob Hope. They made Road to Singapore, the first of their road movies they would continue for a few decades.

But Road to Utopia is my personal favorite. Hope had moved up to 2nd billing on the marque and he was on his way to being America's Comic.

The story concerns two entertainers/con men who get a map to a gold vein in Alaska. There's also a sweet gal whose rightful property the map is. And a not-so-sweet guy and gal who want it. Then there's the two felons whose identities they assume for cover.

But really it's just about the gags. Every other line is a joke or pratfall. One I STILL use is when Bob was trying to be this murderer guy and he goes into a bar and asks for a lemonade. The bartender gives him a look and Bob quickly adds with a sneer: "in a dirty glass!"

They make fun of themselves, often make fun of each other, and generally look like they are having a good time. To show how unserious the movie was, at one point they are sled dogging along and Bob looks ahead and says, "look at that gravy." Bing replies, "what, that big mountain?" And it becomes the Paramount logo/music. Bob says, "looks like gravy to me." Or something like that.

I'm not big into the singing that comes in every once in a while, but it's short and usually pretty funny.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: Funny
CONS: A bit outdated

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0038032/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU