Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

After two viewings --

Most of what I wanted to say was already covered in both negative and positive aspects. Furthermore, I very much enjoyed the idea of panning through the ship like a stage. Oddly enough (or maybe not), the saddest moment for me wasn't when Ned died but when Steve says goodbye to the dog they left on the island.

I though the movie had an OK mix of everything I was expecting. It was, perhaps, 15 or 20 minutes too long. The editing and direction started off spot on what I expected, but I couldn't help but think that as it went on the scenes got less thought out and the editing suffered a little.

The whole Sigur Ros end sort of put the surreal aspect of the movie in an envelope and mailed it home. By that time I had felt that the movie had taken on a bit of a surreal nature so this fit pretty well. I won't say I disliked it, and in fact it may have made the ending just that much more enjoyable.

I really wanted to come in here and sing its praises but I don't think I can. Its a solid movie if you like Wes' work, but as far as that goes I think his other work surpasses this one.

Now I'm not trying to fap over Wes' work or anything, but I'm going to give it a 4.0 based on the fact that I feel his average work is still better than 90% of the "good" work that is floating out of Hollywood. In context of his own movies, I would give it a 3 or 3.5, but in context of Hollywood I am giving it a 4.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Dec 29, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU