Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
I'm a big Bill Murray fan and I liked Rushmore and was at least happy with Royals. This movie just didn't have much sparkle IMHO.

There's a golden rule of filmmaking (okay, I made it up) and it states you can never change your reality level. Everything in the movie was pretty believable except the space creature fish and underwater stuff. It's harder to relate to characters when you're wondering what planet they are on.

That's another thing, the Rushmore and even Royal characters were people we could understand. Kind of close to us normal folks. I've never personally met (or heard of) a washed-up deep sea documentarian.

Too many talking heads. Bill Murray's character quite often just spouted his deepest emotional truths while puffing away. People don't do that.

Budd Cort (the kid from Harold and Maude) was the Bond Stooge. William Dafoe was about the only really good performance, I thought.

The end did pick up, but was a little late. Wes Anderson is one of those directors who they shouldn't give final cut to. He needs an editor and a studio asking him every once in a while, "Um, Wes, is anyone going to be able to relate to this?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU