Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
Directed by: John Moore
Starring: Dennis quaid

Mother of god this is a lovely movie.

It follows a group of people who are on a plane going home when a storm hits! MACHO MAN Dennis Quaid doesnt want to go back becuase he'd have to (ohno!) Refuel! Chaos ensues.

They crash and MACHO MAN Dennis Quaid decides that its not worth trying anything. But he is convinced otherwise.

Overnight this motley crew of Oil Well drillers (Who never thought to dig a well :() manage to set up scaffolding, pulleys, the works, and start repair on the plane.

There are so many incongruities and plot holes in the movie that, well, I laughed. Dennis Quaid manages to track someone down after not knowing where he went, and so many other things that dont make any sense at all.

Its such a stupid movie. Theres a part where they're relaxing in the sun, and one starts playing some classical music. Another (shirtless) guy comes by and says "Your DJ rights have been revoked!", and then switches the musit to OUTKAST! The following scenes show people dancing, giving eachother pounds, playing golf. Then theres another part where the 'brains' makes everyone say 'please' befoer he does anything.

Don't see this movie.

Don't.

RATING: 0

PROS: Uh... Fire?
CONS: It was made.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0377062/

Sparta fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Dec 24, 2004

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffey
Sep 9, 2003

by T. Finn
First off, this is a remake. The original is a good movie, and in black & white. This movie, however, didn't really need to be made. It's not AWFUL, but it definitely could've been better. I had high hopes for this movie because I liked the original, and Dennis Quad impressed me with his role in The Rookie.

It wasn't meant to be I guess. They shouldn't have tried to make the film more "urban" because this isn't the type of movie that teenagers would want to watch in the first place!

harrybozack
Jun 6, 2002

Pibbily Bibbily Tibbily Pip.. Poooooooo!
As mentioned by Andre the Bear, this movie is rife with plot holes/stupidity. The "enemies" in this movie aren't very threatening at all. As I read in one review of this movie (and I'm paraphrasing here) "what this movie lacks in tension it makes up for in generic action"...and even the generic action is lacking.

Character development is extremely weak. The motley crew is also very well represented racially, and each character makes sure to stay within the lines of their stereotype: "thugged out" black guy, "badass but religious" mexican guy, "loyal but fierce" scottish guy, etc.

Either way, it's a good thing my friend bought my ticket or I'd be extremely peeved about having to pay money for that movie.

(the only reason it gets a 1 is because of the cool plane crashing sequence)

Monkey Lincoln
Dec 1, 2001
gumshoe

I enjoyed this movie. Not to say I was on the edge of my seat, or I'd see it again, but it was worth the ticket. I wasn't expecting them to have to face a ton of enemies, since this movie seems like it was made sort of in the spirit of Castaway with a hint of Lord of the Flies, but the slight inclusion of nomads gave it a good scare for a few moments.

The way the characters developed was decent, the feeling that every so often, they'd come to an understanding, where it would just as quickly come to a point where one would have to be killed. A good sense of "who's to be trusted" was established, of course, I never suspected Jeremy for a second, because he's awesome.

Sometimes you'd have to suspend your disbelieve, ala Gilligan's Island, for instance someone travelling miles to rescue someone without an idea of where they could possibly be, and the thought of Sticky Fingaz hooking up an iPod to a stereo in the middle of the desert, and then playing Outcast on it.

Pros: Sticky Fingaz, Nice plane crashing scene.
Cons: Plot holes, Small storyline gaps, you'll hate this one guy simply because he's an annoying douche, regardless of what he's doing in the movie.

3.5 (Would have been 3 but I'm gay for SF)

madattheinternet
May 8, 2004

PLEASE STOP! PLEASE!
I liked this film for what it was, an action movie in the desert. I enjoyed watching the characters struggle and ultimately prevail but I can't say that I would watch this again. This movie is comparable to a film like "Conair" because it is a fun ride but you hate yourself for enjoying it in the end.

3/5

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I was expecting a weak version of Pitch Black with no monsters meets Gilligan's Island with no comedy, and that's more or less what I got. All in all, I thought it was an okay movie, and I certainly don't regret having spent 2 hours seeing it.

There were times when they ruined the mood, namely, the lovely iPod montage to some lovely Outcast(?) song. Perhaps they were going for irony there, with the name of the band, how much they suck, and how Dennis Quaid kept calling all the oil drillers losers, but I think that may be unintended. There was also the fact that people who are in the Gobi desert are standing around in the sun, when there is a tent - shade, where it must be at least 20 derees cooler - 2 feet away, where, as is explained in the movie, you will die really fast of dehydration, and it's also the hottest month of the year. That bugged me a lot, they made a tent, and then nobody goddamned stayed under it.

Plot holes were abundant, and could easily have been cleared up given a little extra effort. The biggest among these, the giant jugs of water that could keep them alive for weeks; why were they on the plane in the first place? They could have explained that away somehow. The nomads having no water at all was also kind of a puzzler, as was the 400 nomads that just waited around for them to be done with the plane to attack. I also still can't figure out what the gently caress it was the mexican chef guy DID when the wing broke free of the pullys and slammed into the "fuselage", they really needed to explain what was going on there, and why he "only had one chance!"

Though as with many movies, most of that stuff won't really bug you much as you're watching it.

If you can turn your brain off, this is a pretty good movie, certainly watchable, and a fun enough way to blow 2 hours; though I would reccomend waiting until somebody else rents it or something.

3/5

note to those mentioning Dennis Quaid finding the scottish guy - there were tracks in the sand clearly visible when he set out.

IanFinnesey
Jul 6, 2004

BLOOD ORGY!

quote:

Coffey came out of the closet to say:
First off, this is a remake. The original is a good movie, and in black & white.

I think your TV must have been black and white. The original was in color.

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

I would have to agree Andre about this movie. I ended up seeing it Christmas day when we found out that the Life Aquatica(Is that the name of the movie? All I know is that the title had something to do with water and Bill Murray was in it) was sold out. So, the genious of the group(He was drunk at the time) decided that we should watch the movie that is playing at that exact moment.

We never let him choose a movie again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You are a nerd
Apr 9, 2003

See?
1965's original version of The Flight of the Phoenix is not numbered among the most memorable films of the past century. Nonetheless, it succeeded in creating a compelling and dramatic story. Much of this is thanks to the talented cast (including Jimmy Stewart, Richard Atenborough, and Hardy Kruger as bizarre engineer Heinrich), but the success can also be attributed to the simple story told, and the focused way in which it was told. Relative strangers stranded by a crash-landing in the desert, attempting to build a new plane from wreckage amidst clashing egoes and dwindling supplies.

The remake is like what might have happened to the original if the producers had let the story unravel a bit in the hands of focus groups and marketers. "Make the cast multiethnic so we can throw in some pointless 'white people drive like this' jokes! As marketers, we insist that people probably love those!" "Add in a potential love interest that will add nothing to the film! Women will like that!" "Make it funnier, we need some punchy lines for the trailers!" "The action in the original was horrible, lets add explosions and swordfights and robots and lasers!"

As a result, the remake feels unfocused and uneffective, the compelling story of the original lost among Hollywoodisms. Dennis Quaid and Giovanni Ribisi turn in strong performances as the battling egoes of Captain and Weird engineer guy respectively, but unfortunately they represent the only place the film matches the strength of the original. The rest is a mess.

In summation: rubbish. 1.5/5