Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Directed by: Mamoru Oshii
Starring: Atsuko Tanaka, Akio Otsuka

While this film begins as little more than a conventional action flick with a little T&A thrown in, it quickly becomes apparent that so much more is under the surface.

What defines humanity? What is intelligence? What are the consequences of the choices we make? These questions are all addressed both philosophically and metaphorically in this futuristic anime about a cyborg cop hunting down an extraordinary hacker known only as "The Puppet Master."

I recommend this film to just about any intelligent person who has even a slight affinity towards science fiction and/or philosophy.

RATING: 5

PROS: Great animation and action, intelligent philosophy
CONS: Its runtime of 80 minutes is too short to fully develop its themes

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0113568/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vertov
Jun 14, 2003

hello
I can't understand why the filmmakers felt it was necessary to spell out everything for the audience through dialogue. Considering this came after Blade Runner, you would think that they would realize exposition isn't the best way to deliver thematic content, but they really indulge in gratuitous lecturing at times in this. Maybe it only seems really bad because so many films have revisited the same ideas since this was made, but I found myself squirming in my chair everything the main character started thinking out lound.

That being said, it is an incredibly beautiful film, and one of the best cities ever made for a movie (animation or real-action). Probably my favorite parts of the film are the footage of random city scenes, which I think goes a long way to establish the mood and enviorment of the film, especially considering how short it is (is their a special edition or directors cut with more footage? it would be welcome). I also thought the characters were better developed and more interesting than most anime characters, and I liked the idea of cybernetic enhancments as an alternative to andriods/replicants. The way the characters talk about their bodies and their dependencies on technology seems horribly close to our own cosmetic surgery/performance enhancing drug culture at times, especially they way they talk about "maintanence" and a sort of invincibility complex. The scene where they talk about the guy who uses ammo that destroys his gun seems to take on a double meaning with that in mind.

yersi
Dec 21, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Philosophy in anime and JRPGs is mostly just thrown in for the "cool" factor, and GitS is very much like that. Don't take people who hold this up as a relic of supreme cultural importance seriously.

What can't be disputed is that the meditative atmosphere, fantastic animation and music make it one of the most artistically accomplished movies in the genre and an absolute must-see even if you're absolutely convinced you won't like anime after having read people making fun of Dragonball Z online and your kid sister watching Pokemon.

5/5

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Ghost in the Shell is one of the bigger "mainstream" anime movies for a reason: it is actually a good movie. It is the anime to show people who are unfamiliar with the medium, or think it consists entirely of juvenile junk like Pokemon.

The flim looks and sounds great, and even the dub is quite good; it just sounds like good voice acting, instead of DISTRACTING ORFUL ENGRISH SHOUTING. It avoids alot of the more annoying cliches of bad Japanese animation :keke: , while improving on the traditionally good stuff that makes people like Japanese animation in the first place. The soundtrack is also quite good, though I don't dig the screechy Japanese singing so much.

On the downside, it can be kind of hard to follow. Some scenes can get overly heavy on the philosophical exposition, though in fairness it never reaches the annoying depths of the Matrix sequels. And it has quite a bit of gratuitous nudity (or near-nudity, e.g. the Major in a skin-colored body suit in the thermoptic camoflage scenes). LOOK KIDS BOOBIES. At least the Major looks like a human woman who COULD exist, if a bit on the top-heavy side, which I guess is a step up.

Overall, Ghost in the Shell is better than about 90% of the sci-fi/action movies out there. 4/5.

Side note: This movie would be rated R in the US. It has the previously mentioned nudity, plus swearing and exploding heads. No sex, however, even as a topic of conversation.

sean10mm fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Sep 12, 2005

Dipes
Oct 24, 2003
This is one of the finest movies I have ever seen. Subtle and intricate for those who like to think; heart-pounding action for those who like it when stuff blows up.

The premise is that some time in the distant future, a human has been so heavily augmented with cybernetics that she no longer has a single original piece of flesh in her body. She begins to wonder if "the ghost" in her shell of cybernetics, her consciousness, has any relationship to the human she once was. The movie presents a feast for your senses as it explores this and other philisophical dillemas.

A must see for sci-fi fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DanSTC
Aug 6, 2002

by Fistgrrl
Rivals many live-action films with its realism, even to this day - even though it's both animated, and sci-fi.

Excellent animation. Insteresting plot. Great acting (in the Japanese-language version) and a highly memorable climax all make for one of the best animated films ever created.

5/5