Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Directed by: Jean Renoir
Starring: Michel Simon, Charles Granval, Marcelle Hainia

Not a big Michel Simon fan. He almost ruined L'Atalante, and here he plays it even more over-the-top. The movie, one of Renoir's first, starts out promising with some sharp satire, but devolves into a tedious series of incidents involving Simon acting like a prick. I guess it's supposed to be funny, but I found it irritating. If you rent this, beware: the description on the video box gives away the entire story.

RATING: 3

PROS: kinda funny sometimes, interesting premise
CONS: annoying actor/lead character

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0022718/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trash
Aug 6, 2001
Argumentum ad nauseam is the incorrect belief that an assertion is more likely to be true the more often it is heard.

Conversely, I'm a huge fan of Simon and love L'Atalante specifically because of his performance. The whole baffoon invading/transcending society thing is brilliant even today when we see that sort of story everywhere we look. It definitely takes the lower-class slumming feel of earlier French films (particularly Clair's) on a much more satisfying turn. It's also the best comedy of manners that I've seen before Renoir's other great film of this type, Rules of the Game.

I definitely want to see a good DVD treatment of this as I've only seen a shoddy VHS dub so far.