Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Directed by: Gaspar Noé
Starring: Philippe Nahon, Blandine Lenoir, Frankie Pain, Martine Audrain

Very riveting, intriguing... and highly disturbing and depressing. I don't get disturbed by gore. What disturbs me is suffering. After a scene where the, um, hero of I Stand Alone repeatedly punches his very pregnant wife in the stomach, and she crumples to the floor in profound agony and despair, I almost lost my lunch. I had to pause it and stand up and walk around a little. The final scene is also distressing (the filmmakers even warn you when it's coming) but in my opinion it doesn't hold a candle to the cruelty, brutality and horror of the previously mentioned one. The movie does make a few missteps... the "warning", the gunshot noises to punctuate sudden close-ups, and the platitudes that occasionally pop up in huge block lettering. But fortunately these over-reaching artsy bits do little to diminish the power and intensity of the movie. The use of that horribly saccharine old tear-jerker, Pachebel's Canon in D, is particularly brilliant.

RATING: 4.5

PROS: brutal, disturbing, intense
CONS: not for the squeamish; a bit too arty

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0157016/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU