Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe
Directed by: Fumihiko Sori
Starring: Yosuke Kubozuka, Arata, Sam Lee

The movie features two main characters, Peco and Smile. Both of which are high school freshmen and table tennis virtuosos. Smile is aptly named because he never in fact does Smile and so a motif throughout the movie is what can bring joy to him? The answer lies in Ping Pong. Smile looks up to his friend Peco who does nothing but goof of and sing only parts of popular American rock songs. The characters train in sports and their friendship develops all while Supercar, the ever amazing Japanese band's music plays through out the movie.

I guarantee you will enjoy this film and you will smile throughout the whole thing.

Watch it and love it.

RATING: 5.5/5

PROS: Great character development, great story, amazing soundtrack.
CONS: Kind of hard to find.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://imdb.com/title/tt0328258/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newdaydawning
Oct 22, 2004
I'M AN IDIOT WHO REPORTS MODS FOR TROLLING
if you like Shoalin Soccer, you will like this movie... thats what it says on the back of the dvd and yes, it is really good.

RATING: 4.5/5

Master Cob
May 29, 2004

I'm just saying is all
This movie is great because it takes itself so seriously. Every character has such a thick amount of backstory -- after a while it gets to be rather amusing. The writers, I imagine, weren't satisfied with giving us just flat characters and hot ping pong action. There's a fair amount of drama and character development.

There are lots of memorable lines. My favorite was when the aging Chinese transplant is on the roof with his manager, and the camera is between them and circling around, and they say a line each time it catches one of their faces. They're listening at a game being played in the room below them:

"He's a chopper."
"And he's playing to lose."

The guy freaking hears, through a wall, that one of the players isn't giving it his all, but that he has the potential to be a champion. If only he'd take the game seriously! If only he cared more about winning!

Man, this movie is good. Just don't expect too many gags.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Ping Pong blends the teen drama genre with the sports movie genre, but somehow manages not to come off like Karate Kid with table tennis. It's more nuanced than that: the opposition isn't simply evil, and there's more than one central hero to root for. In fact, in the end the outcome of the "big game" doesn't even matter that much. However, that's not to say that it isn't dripping with clichés. There's the training montage, the wise old mentor with a mysterious past, the part where the hero gives up and needs to find his inspiration again, and so forth. Fun to watch, but not especially satisfying. 3.5

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.
I agree entirely with what has been said about the richness of the characters and their interaction. I've watched this movie twice now and I can't get over how well the story unfolds despite having the basic cliches of the sports anime genre it kind of imitates. I can't get enough of it and I highly recommend it for how much effort the writers put in. I acquired the film entirely to watch it with my best friend, but in the end I am glad it's a movie I can just as easily watch on my own or with anyone I know.

Honestly a very satisfying film, due to and despite the cliches. It takes itself just seriously enough but colors it with such immaculate characters that I can't resist. In my opinion, a definite 5/5.5 (I'd go all the way, but I'd feel odd)