Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yersi
Dec 21, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Directed by: Rintaro
Starring: Yuka Imoto, Kei Kobayashi, Kouki Okada

Metropolis is an adaptation of a manga by Ozamu Tesuka. This film and its source has little relation to the original classic by Fritz Lang, but according to IMDb trivia, part of the inspiration for the design of the manga came from film posters for the 1927 version.

Anyone familiar with Blade Runner will recognize the visual look used in this movie. Monolithic structures reaching towards the skies, walkways, robots mingling with humans... it's all there. The blend between CGI and traditional animation is very stylish and effective, with some extremely impressive shots towards the end and interspersed in-between. I won't dare to estimate how much this one cost to make, but it doesn't look cheap. Unfortunately, all the money they spent on animation must have prevented them from hiring good voice actors, because these sound dull and lifeless. There is practically no enthusiasm to find among them. Musically, however, this was a pleasant surprise. Jazz and blues lends this a Cowboy Bebop-ish feel that mixes strangely well with the animation.

The plot revolves around Tima, an artificial girl destined to be in charge of the Ziggurath, a monolithic construction with military purposes. After the lab she is made in is burned to the ground, she's taken care of by Kenichi, a boy who travels along with his private eye uncle. They eventually grow a liking to each other, but their love can never be, as she is coveted by Duke Red, her commisioner, and his adoptive son Rock, who views Tima as a threat to his "father". If you think this all sounds a bit confusing, then you're not alone. Too many plotlines, ideas and characters are introduced at once, and while it's not hard to follow, it's not very engaging. Maybe it's just my attention span that is short.

I'd see this for its visual look and music - plotwise it doesn't have much to offer.

RATING: 3.5

PROS: Stunning animation, beautiful design, good action and awesome music
CONS: Poor voice-acting, somewhat confusing plot

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0293416/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roshi
Sep 25, 2002

Somebody from CC wasted $10 on a guy who does not give a shit what they think, so I'm re-purposing it because I'm too lazy to come up with another one.
I loved this movie. The middle dragged at little, but the ending was simply breath taking with the huge explosions to ray charles singing I'll missing you.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
A beautiful-looking movie that contorts anime conventions a bit with the comic strip circa 1930 appearance of the characters. The music provides really interesting juxtaposition in the some of the scenes. The plot is crap but it's anime so what else is new.

Four.

Square
Feb 27, 2005

by Fistgrrl
This movie, as the OP said, was not very engaging. It was pretty though.

2.5/5