Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foppish Yet Dashing
Jun 29, 2004

-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
-horsepussy begins now
Directed by: Frank Miller and Robert Rodriguez
Starring: Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke, Clive Owen, and many more

If you enjoyed the books, you will enjoy the films, and vice versa. They are nearly clones of each other. Nothing can prepare you for how close it is. It's pretty damned close to perfect.

Now, this film should either not be called a comic book movie, or it should be the only one called a comic book movie. It is nothing like any other film that has been based on a comic book. The biggest reason this turned out so well is the fact that these books have a beginning and end, unlike ongoing series that have thousands of issues. When making those films, the folks in power had to choose what they were going to work with, and what they weren't. They had to make a lot of sacrifices, understandably. Plus, those books (Spider-Man, Superman, Batman) are aimed at a large audience. Especially Spider-Man, which is supposed to connect with the everyman. With Sin City, you have everything you need neatly arranged in a few paperbacks created by one man. The material is very clear and has a distinct style throughout (unlike series where the cast of creators changes). And there isn't really a target audience. These books were made for those who may end up liking it, no more, no less. It was Miller's baby, he loved it and he didn't care if anyone else did. He's protected his baby and it has turned out awesome.

So, Rodriguez and Miller knew what had to be done, and they did it. They put a comic book on the silver screen. It has jumped from the pages and been injected with a new life.

You can tell that this is from a comic book. Everything is exaggerated greatly. There are extensive monologues of inner turmoil and intense thought. The dialogue is dramatic and theatrical. The strength of men and the violence they brew is exponentially increased from what could be actual. It's an adventure.

Humor and wit is abundant, but doesn’t quite balance out with the darkness and the stench, the grit and the grime. Sin City is a sickly place, and the humor is the same, whether it is underlying or right under your nose.

Everyone knows the big hype of this was how close this was to the books’ visual style. It’s true. It obviously pays to have the creator on the crew and have a hand in directing.

I’m not familiar with Rodriguez’s work in the past, but have heard plenty of talk about how progressive and proficient he is. I’ve now been convinced. This man worked incredibly hard on this film and went to great lengths to make sure there no unnescecary compromises made. He’s made a book into a film just like fans have wanted any book made into a film. They want it to be just like the book. This is it. It’s finally been done.

Even if you haven’t read the books, this film is still incredibly enjoyable. It grabs your attention by the genitals and doesn’t let go. In fact it squeezes. Really hard. The style is undeniably awe-inspiring. Seriously, good luck at not gasping during this film.

Now for the performances…

Mickey Rourke as Marv is one of the finest performances I’ve ever seen. He is Marv. I think they transplanted Marv’s soul right into Mickey, if that’s possible. He is so fun to watch. Willis nailed his part. Just like Hartigan’s never-give-up-til-you-can’t-move attitude, Bruce went to great lengths to ensure an accurate depiction of the character. Owen is smooth, super smooth, just as we expect Dwight to be. He pulled off the calm yet deadly guy well. Del Toro is the ultimate sleaze-ball as Jackie Boy. He was hilarious.

The girls aren’t bad…Bledel pulls of a wonderfully pathetic Becky. Dawson is just as nasty as Gail most of the time. Aoki holds that deadly stare we’ve come to love from Miho. Murphy seemed to exaggerate a little too much with some of Shellie’s dialogue. Alba wasn’t bad as Callahan, but was far from special, though she did pull of the wink. Gugino is just as smokin’ hot as Lucille is supposed to be, and she portrayed her just as well.

What everyone is saying about Kevin is true. He is creepy as can be. Wood tackled the roll and became him (kind of frightening). I could watch his parts in the film over and over again and I’d be tense every time. The child-like nature of his face makes my skin crawl. Stahl is in also up there in the creep department after playing That Yellow Bastard all too well. Is it a good thing to corner the market on rolls like this? Heh.

The rest of the supporting cast was great for the most part. Some were far better than others, but everyone did their job. Some of the really little parts (such as Stuka) were played excellent and were great crowd pleasers.

The score was pretty cool. To be honest I didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to its details, but I do know it flowed well with its scenes and enhanced them just like a score should.

I’ll note that I am shocked (well not quite) that this film was tagged with an R rating. I am not a censor freak, obviously, but the MPAA has some strange priorities and I’m very surprised this didn’t receive an NC-17. I was even surprised that a number of violent acts were left in-tact as they were. For those who know the books, I’m talking about things like (Hartigan’s encounter with Yellow Bastard at the farm was all there, yea, all of it, you know what I’m talking about). This film is not for the squeamish or easily rattled. AS one who's read the storeis, I still flinched a few times.

RATING: 5

PROS: groundbreaking filmmaking, incredibly true to every aspect of the books, very hard-hitting and memorable
CONS: pacing (each story held its own well, but the transitions were nearly non-existent, and personally, this doesn’t bother me in a movie where I know a number of separate stories are being told)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0401792/

Foppish Yet Dashing fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Mar 19, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I loved this also. One of the best movies I have seen over the last couple of years.
The people claiming that this movie is not for women my wife enjoyed this movie very much (she would give it a 4 out of 5). She felt like some people are reading why too much into this movie. I agree with her and it is a shame because this is a great movie. I am glad she is not wounded too tightly like some people. Trust me if you love a movie like this but your women does not dump her. You will be a lot happier

My fav story was Marv's and I loved the dark humor of the movie.

Overall I have touched many women and I still give it 5 out of 5.5 (my last 5.5 would of been City of God). The person that made this comment below was already predestined not to like this movie. If you feel like this person do not go see this movie. It was not made for you and you will not like it. That does not mean you will like it, but we all know people who will not like certain types of movies. I can not wait until this graces my DVD collection.

I would also state do not take your kids to see this movie like some people did (somebody had a 9-10 year old at the showing I went to). When my 2 kids get old enough I would love for them to see this awesome movie, but I will wait they are ready for a movie like this (I am not sure when that is but maybe 15?).

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Apr 2, 2005

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
The greatest compliment I can give this film is that it was just like watching the comics. I love the books dearly, and seeing such an accurate translation of them is just a gift.

Everything was just absolutely spot-on. All of the visuals were gorgeous, and the movie really transplanted you into the comics.

I'll agree with the fact that the film must have just barely slipped past an NC-17 rating. Blood, gore, and tits abound.

Unfortunately, I have to run, but I'll try to add to this more later.

5 out of 5.5

Squall91
Nov 19, 2002

DONG LARGO DEL BURRO DEL DONG
Everything that I could say has been already said.

I was astounded by how true to the comic books it was. The acting was sort of cheesy but that can be entirely excused by the fact that most, if not all, was line for line from the books themselves.

It will definitely be one of the best movies released this year. One of the better comic book adaptations (can't say it's the best though).

and hey, anything that manages to make Josh Hartnett remotely watchable deserves a good score in my book.

4.5/5

Unboxing Day
Nov 4, 2003

All I can say is "Holy poo poo" Best action movie I have seen in years. Everyone in the theatre was gasping and laughing (the good kind) all the way through the movie, and clapped at the end. I have never seen the comic books, but if it's as true of a transition as people say it is, I'm going to have to make a few graphic novel purchases over the next couple of days.

Fantastic.

5 out of 5.5

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

If I had a choice between being violently castrated or having never seen this movie, I know what my decision would be. I purposely never read the comics, because I didn't want to have the plot completely spoiled for me coming in. Ever actor was perfect. When you see Marv, you can't help but stare in complete awe at what majesty he commands on film. I saw this at a midnight showing, and if i had the time I'd be right back at the theater the next day. From start to finish, a perfect movie.

5/5.5

Altoid
May 14, 2002
Just got back from the 12:01 showing in my town. A lot of blood and gore but that doesn’t bug me, so just a warning for people who have a problem with that. This is such an awesome movie; I can’t really say anything that hasn’t already been said. I’m just trying to add more support, not that this movie really needs it. I have not read any of the comics and I’m not a comic guy either. Great action movie, one of the best I’ve seen in a while. I am going to recommend it to all my friends.

5.0/5.5

Beans
May 12, 2001

I WILL ANSWER ALL YOUR QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO PROPERLY DISCERN BANDWAGON FANS FROM TRUE FANS.
Awesome movie. Was captivated throughout the movie.

Although a bit corny at times, but never a dull moment.

Also, Jessica Alba is hot
This cannot be stated enough, Jessica Alba is blisteringly hot.

5.5/5

Beans fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 1, 2005

PsychoBoyJack
Jan 1, 2002
I paid $10 to lurk here.
I'm very biased. I love the comics, I love many of the actors in this movie (especially the three male leads), and I love film noir. But this movie just plain loving rocked. One of the best and definitely one of the coolest movies I've ever seen. I thought pretty much everyone was perfect, I loved the cheesy dialogue each character spoke and through the narration, and I loved the effects. They were perfect. I just got back from seeing it and my mind is still reeling.

5.5/5

Quick Stop
May 12, 2001

D'flecting d'fensive ends and d'bilitating injuries
Amazing translation from comic to movie.

The pacing was a little off at the very beginning - but once Marv got on the screen it was smooth sailing. Loved it.

suddenlyissoon
Feb 17, 2002

Don't be sad that I am gone.
i cant say anything more than "WOW" right now. I was just floored at a comic book really coming to life. As i left the theater, i nearly fought a guy who said "I can't believe they can throw so much money in this poo poo."

anyways...i came....thrice.

5.5/5

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
Absolutely astonishing. I had impossibly high hopes for this movie, and every single one was met. That's all I can really say. I hope to God this does really well, and we see a sequel.

5.5/5

TommyTheDent
Dec 29, 2004

by Tiny Fistpump
I was incredibly impressed. There was no celebrity dick-waving and the film-noir style worked really well with the splices of color, which I found impressive. Yellow Bastard looks just like the comic version.

It's dirty, its nasty, and anyone who goes into this movie not expecting a whole bunch of behavior that would send you to hell were you to commit it, just don't go in the loving movie. This is for minds that can handle it and are not easily offended. (Although hey, I'm on SA)

5/5

TommyTheDent fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Apr 2, 2005

Morphix
May 21, 2003

by Reene
I want to watch it atleast couple more times, but I loved it. The use of color was amazing and the casting was supberb.

I'm really curious to see how a second and third viewing of the movie will be like.

5/5. Not the best movie I've ever seen, but it's one of my favorites now.

McGann
May 19, 2003

Get up you son of a bitch! 'Cause Mickey loves you!

Dirty, Gritty, and incredibly awesome. If you enjoy a great story, great acting, and love film noir style, then this is for you.

I've never read the graphic novels, but I'm contemplating borrowing them from someone because if it is half as good as this film, then I can't pass up the chance.

5/5.5

Kaiju
Mar 19, 2003

HEINEKEN!?! FUCK THAT SHIT! PABST BLUE RIBBON!!
Written for another forum

It's always tough being a writer or a director making a movie based on a book or a comic. What works on screen and what only works on the page? Every time they do it, they take lierties with the source material that inevitably pisses off fans of the original material. Robert Rodriguez has broken this Hollywood bad habit with Sin City. This new movie is THE most faithful adaptation of a comic book I've ever seen. It is shot for shot, word for word, exactly like the comics, of which I am a huge fan.

Frank Miller is a loving genius. He single handedly (okay, not exactly, Alan Moore helped out enormously around the same time) turned the comic medium on its head and took it in an entirely new direction. He took one of the world's most recognizable franchises (Batman) and changed it from the Adam West image into the Dark Knight. Everything he touches (except for the Robocop sequels) turns into gold. The man is a legend and his masterpiece is the Dark Horse line of Sin City comics. Nothing else he's done comes close to their perfection. The writing is dark and very Raymond Chandler, the art is ground breaking and experimental. Black and white was nothing new to comics at the time but Miller did black and white like no one else. This was completely different and most importantly, it worked.

This brings us to Rodriguez. When I'd heard the news that he was making Sin City, I didn't believe it. Not possible. Not that comic. There isn't anyone on earth who could do that one. Well he did and he did it very, very well. Every bit of the comic is reproduced here perfectly. Every second of the movie looks and feels exactly like Miller's art and writing (he's given directorial credit, but I don't know what his exact contribution to the movie is, though).

The basic premise is that it's three of Sin City's story arcs, each one running roughly six issues (about 180 pages each), book ended by two three or four page shorts featuring an assassin named the salesman. The movie segues from The Customer Is Always Right into the fourth arc of the Sin City continuity, That Yellow Bastard featuring Bruce Willis as Hartigan, a cop framed for the rape of 11 year old Nancy Callahan (played by Jessica Alba). Hartigan, actually rescues her from the pedophiliac son of Senator Roark. Hartigan spends eight years in prison while Nancy carries a torch from him. Then it segues to The Hard Goodbye featuring Mickey Rourke as Marv, a slab of a man out to avenge the murder of the only woman who ever loved him, a hooker named Goldie, murdered by super-psycho Kevin played perfectly by Elijah Wood. Following this is Clive Owen as Dwight in The Big Fat Kill, a story about the hookers of Old Town keeping a lid on the murder of a cop (one of the best characters in the movie, played by Benicio Del Toro) that could blow their truce with the cops to hell.

Make no mistake, this movie is action city. The characters are extremely cool even when the acting is a little over the top and hammy and the violence is unrelenting. The violence is a point worth mentioning as well as it is extremely graphic. The death of the Yellow Bastard from the Hartigan portion of the story is particularly vicious.

Though, I am gushing now, I'm not even remotely giving you a clear illustration of my elation with this movie. It is the perfect comic book movie. See it now, bitches!

I give this baby a 5.

Kaiju fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Apr 2, 2005

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Having never read the comics, this was fantastic. Simply amazing work. Voted 5.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Never read the comics, and was thoroughly entertained. The visuals and over-the-top noir stoytelling consistently left me wondering what awesomeness was going to occur next. Mickey Rourke was the great surprise of this movie; he was incredible as Marv. :love: Marv :love:

Voted 4.5

hemingway
Jan 12, 2004

5 to you mr.thompson may the golden manbabies care for you beyond the stairs

~ fuck god an
Absolute perfection.

As a geek who was reading about Marv as a Freshmen in high school waiting eagerly for th next Dark Horse Presents to come out, I am thouroughly satisfied with Rodriguez's effort. The guy did it right. This whole movie, and all of his actions surrounding it, ooze respect and awe for Frank's work.

Everything to be said has been said already.

There were 200 people in the theatre tonight and they gave the movie a standing ovation.

Enough said.

ps. Marv is the absolute badass of the millenium.

Grandma
Jul 19, 2003

Do you like pie? There are many kinds of pie.
Just got back. This movie was an experience to say the least. It was one of those movies where when it's done, you're just kind of in that "Whoa" mood. I haven't felt like this after a movie in a long time. The movie was amazing, but it had a few flaws. I thought the second story (The one with Dwight) dragged pretty badly towards the end. It didn't really hold my interest like the other two. This story just didn't seem as compelling as the other two and I started losing interest.

Some of the acting was cheesy, but it was supposed to be. It fits well with the tone of the film. However, Brittany Murphy and (Although it breaks my heart to say it) Michael Madsen were awful. They were really wooden, but they both had bit parts so it's all cool. Micky Rourke did an amazing job, and Bruce Willis was really good. I can't say enough about Rourke, though. Elijiah Wood also gave the creepiest performance I've ever seen. Really good stuff.

At the end of Bruce Willis' story, I just kind of went numb. I don't really know what to say. Marv's story was great in a "Hell yeah!" kind of way, Willis' just really left an impression on me.

This movie is really good. One of the best I've seen in a long time. All the small problems I had with the film are far outweighed by the movie as a whole.

4.5/5

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Fantastic.

I've never read the books and by looking at it from a purely cinematic standpoint, it was awesome. I haven't had that much fun at a movie since Kill Bill vol.1. 5.5

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

I really can't think of anything that could have made this movie any loving cooler, except maybe if it were 10 times longer. Willis and rourke give incredible performances. Elijah plays the coolest and creepiest character ever, and Alba gave me a rod every time she was on screen in those loving chaps. Good god.

The only weak part to me seemed to be Clive Owen. He just didn't seem to handle the dialogue very smoothly, and he had a distinct lack of 'cool' that the other leading men had in spades. Oh, and there were 2 seperate times where a character gave a flying jump kick of sorts, and both of them looked kinda lovely. Of ALL the special effects shots, those were the only ones that stood out as sub-par, which is a grand loving achievement.

CallMeDan
Apr 20, 2004

I support my quarterback
What made this great for me was that I think it was what a comic book movie should be. I'm by no means a comic book fan, I stopped reading and collecting when I was 12 or 13, but I still enjoy comic book movies. This one was supreme everything was over the top; the acting, the dialogue, the staging, the cinematography and it was all brilliant. All the acting was tremendous.

5/5.5

PS- Jessica Alba :love: Carla Gugino :love:

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins
Simply amazing. Several parts had my jaw dropping, the artistic style was absolutely amazing, and though it took me a little while to figure out what was going on (haven't read the books but recognized many of the things I've seen over the years), the story was really cool and I followed it pretty easily. Gory and violent as hell, but I don't mind that stuff, and the ways they portrayed the gore with the visual style were very well done. Extremely well-acted on most parts, particularly the three male leads, and particularly Rourke (Marv) out of those three. At least passable acting on the other parts too, though any that weren't very good were at least very minor roles.

A lot of cool actors were involved in this, but only had cameos or very brief appearances, including Frank Miller himself as a priest. I was pleased to see Rutger Hauer in this, even briefly, and one cameo I was surprised to see was Jude Ciccolella (Mike Novik of '24') being an rear end-kicking police commissioner. Elijah Wood didn't say a word, but he didn't even have to...I barely recognized our dear Frodo Baggins in this role.

Awesome cinematography and artistry, great directing, good-to-excellent acting, an amazing film noir style to it, and superb script that sounded exactly like both comics and film noir should. I liked all three stories, and while I liked some parts more than others, they're really not all that far apart. My eyes were glued to the screen through the whole thing, and I want to see it again. This is an immediate DVD purchase when it comes out: Not only do I want to own the movie, but I can't wait to see what kind of 'making of' special features it'll have.

I really hope they make movies out of Frank Miller's other books now.

P.S.-
[Slimjim=0.5] [ULOVEKYLE=0.5] I demand an explanation for this debauchery. Trying to offset the grade, or did you two really hate it THAT much?

Bonk fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 2, 2005

Arcturus Fats
Mar 19, 2002

Valve have once again managed to transform a genre, and taken pure gaming pleasure to brand new, unthought of heights.
Everything about this movie is loving perfect. The casting was exactly how it should have been, it was entertaining the whole way through, and the style was just loving great.

5.5/5

Maybe down to just 5/5 if you haven't read the books yet, but two of the three people I went with hadn't read them yet and they both loved it.

Sparta
Aug 14, 2003

the other white meat
The movie gets a 5 because it kicked all kinds of rear end.

Then, it gets +.5 because JESSICA ALBA IS SO loving HOT.

5.5/5

WildeVinyl
Nov 24, 2003

"I have nothing to declare except my genius!"
Pure mastery in every way. Easily one of the best films I have seen in a long time. The acting was dead-on, the art was beautiful, the gore was executed incredibly well (no pun intended). This movie will make you go back and look for the good old-fashined noir films again.

loving Brilliant.

linus the bear
Sep 12, 2003

Well, I'm on the fence about this one.

I really, REALLY wanted this to be my new favorite movie, it drat well should have, given the source material. However, something just didn't gel with me about the movie.

First off, the beginning was terrible, a hell of a way to start a movie, much less 'end a partnership'. The title sequence looked like something I could whip up in iMovie in about 10 minutes, and then out of nowhere the movie jerks into motion. Madsen was terrible as Willis' partner, and the way they handled Willis' 'Death' was all wrong. It seemed much more intense in the books, but in the movie they played it all out in long shots and it was over relatively quickly. No intensity.

Then Marv's story comes along, it was pretty great for the most part. The escape sequence lost some intensity somewhere along the line though, it went by way to drat fast. In about a 60 second timeframe Marv is attacked by the cops and subsequently miles away from them. (This brings up another problem with the movie, I think they should have left out THE BIG FAT KILL entirely and just let marv and hartigan's stories duke it out. But because they shoved TBFK in there, the wntire movie felt extremely rushed pacing wise. There were a seldom few moments of reflection and pause, which I think would have helped the movie out a lot. You can't have tension and excitement for an entire movie without grating on the audiences nerves a little bit.)

Kevins bit was well done, he managed to be pretty creepy most of the time. The audience let out a giggle or two during that shot of him standing outside the prison cell however. The posing was all off, he looked smarmy, not menacingly gleeful. Also, the composition of the shot of limbless kevin was stupid, he looked like a childs toy. The entire audience scoffed at that.
Roarke was good, Rutger Hauer needs more movie roles. His death was handled cheesily however. And finally, marv's electric chair conclusion was done well. I think we can all agree that we knew marv was too big of a badass to just let one 1000 volt jolt of electricity bring him down.

Im going to skip over the big fat kill because it was the best paced portion of the movie, say what you will about the story, but this segment is where the movie really picks up. My only problems were Micheal Clarke Duncan's ridiculous sideslap to Gails face, and the way jackie boy's face exploded . You could see the cgi from a mile away. Otherwise, very well done.

Ah, we finally reach the conclusion to THAT YELLOW BASTARD. Hartigan is played perfectly by Willis. I'd have to say this, in my eyes, is brucie boy's finest acting job. That scream he let out in prison was heartwrenching. Also, nick stahl did a great job with 'junior', he really nailed the 'loving stupid piece of poo poo rat' character perfectly. Alba did a decent enough job as well, although she wasn't given much to work with. Oh, and who can forget the "This is THE END" part? You could feel the tension floating around the theater at that point. The way the movie was going I don't think any of them would have been surprised if that ended up being true.

As for the bad, The music in this segment was the worst in the entire film. The club techno was outrageous, (GG using an average song i've heard about a thousand times in tv commercials for the past three years) and that hilarious 'epic' tune that was played over hartigans infiltration into the roarke farm was terrible. It instantly reminded me of the godawful score from THE PUNISHER. One more gripe was the way they shot Hartigan's death[spoiler]. I thought the image from the books of him [spoiler]laying in the snow with a cloud of steam pouring out of his head was much, much more endearing. The shot of the splatter blasting out of the back of his head did nothing for me. I actually think it killed that whole segment for me.

Despite all of my gripes and overanalyzations, I liked the movie.

I just liked it, that's all. I'm a little disappointed with the end product, as I think they got a little too carried away with making it "HEY GUYS ITS JUST THE SAME loving THING AS THE BOOKS".

I'm going to see it again tomarrow, and maybe I'll come away with a more favorable impression now that i've gotten all of it's problems out of my system.

I'm giving it a 4 out of 5.

Not perfect, It could have been though. It could have been.

EDIT: Did anyone else experience a lot of disgust from other audience members after leaving the theatre? It seems like everyone was in a zombified daze after leaving, and a lot of them were moaning about the violence. (Women, all of them. The guys were just going crazy about how awesome it was) I think the average movie goer was confused about how their favorite actors were doing those things on screen, and i think the whole movie was sort of a blast to the nuts to them.

They're probably still reeling too.

Heimdall
Apr 17, 2004

by Ozma
Absolutley great. By far the best movie based off a comic book, and the best action movie I've seen in quite some time.
I thought I'd hate the stylized black and white, but it fit the movie well.

It does, however, lose half a point for that "Guest Directed by Quinten Tarantino" bullshit, though. I'm sick of seeing that egotistical cocksucker's name used like a loving brand to sell more tickets.

4.5/5

Gtab
Dec 9, 2003
I am a horrible person, disregard my posts.
This film delivers so perfectly. Alba wouldn't show her breasts as Nancy Callahan, but even the perfectionist in me can let it slide -- I'm so delighted to say that after walking out of the threater less than twenty minutes ago, I can safely say that the film adaptation of Sin City is easily the coolets movie I have or will see this year (or have seen in years).

5.5/5 because I've never seen anything so perfectly enmeshed with the inspirational material. All the dialogue was spot-on (it truly felt like a comic. To me, that's a goddamn ace of spades by Rodriguez and company) and the action was brilliant. The greenscreen deal worked out millions of times better than the shitfarce that was Sky Captain. The casting couldn't have been better. Period. Ever. That is the single greatest casting job ever.

I can't praise the work on this movie enough. It's not drat well meant to have Ray-caliber acting or anything. It's meant to be a bunch of people, in a bunch of stories, in a criminal, messed-up, nasty world. It's perfect for what it should be. 1 000 000 kudos to everyone involved. It's just so drat perfect.

Jesus Christ, I can't get over how perfect it was.

gettin sombrero
Jul 4, 2003

FRIDAY NITE BOOYA
Such an amazing film. Everything was done so well. Simply one of the most amazing movies I have ever seen in my life.

In short, I came so hard I cried. 5.5/5

Nupraptor
Feb 8, 2003

Vae Victus
The pacing felt a bit off to me, but I was extremely tired when I went to go see it, so that's probably the cause.

There's not much to say that hasn't already been said. I loved it. I was initially going to give it a 5.0, but then I tried to think of a better movie I've seen in the last year or so and couldn't, so I changed it to a 5.5.

Justiceguy
Apr 28, 2003
Jumping on the badnwagon. Amazing. Best action film I've seen since Kill Bill volume 1. All of the performances are wonderful. Elijah Wood's character is badass. Jessica Alba is hot. Jessica Alba is hot. Jessica Alba is hot. Jessica Alba is hot. Jessica Alba is hot. Jessica Alba is hot. Jessica Alba is hot.

Voted 5

blairerickson
May 18, 2002

by Eris Is Goddess
As someone familiar with the art of the books but not the entire stories, the film was a brilliant experience. A dark dirty and savagely beautful film that really raises the cinematic bar.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I never read any of the books, but I'm pretty sure now im going to want to. This movie amazed me. The visuals and just the general feel of being in Sin City was just amazing. Wood's character, at first, bothered me, because when I saw his face, all I could think of was Frodo. But as the movie progressed, I realized that's why he was casted, because his face looks so innocent, but BAM!, he eats people!

Edit: I couldn't figure out, however, if That Yellow Bastard was yellow as a metaphor for how evil he was, or something, or if he actually was yellow.

Edit 2: 5.5/5

explosivo fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Apr 2, 2005

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
The OP and Kaiju have pretty much stated all i wanted to say, Madsen and some nitpicky moments prevent this from being the best movie ever, so I can't give it the best score, however guaranteed you should watch it and own the DVD when it hits store shelves.
5 out 5.5

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
Wow. Seriously, this is one of the best films I have ever seen. It's just so depressing, and so drat.. violent. MPAA really has gotten more liberal.. I'll tell you that much.

Five-point-loving-five

GonePostal
Dec 16, 2003
Sic Transit Gloria
5 out of 5.5 Easily. I was skeptical, and the opening, specifically Madsen's bad acting, had me worried a bit, but about 15 minutes into "The Hard Good-bye" portion (Marv and Goldie) I was sold. Mickey Rourke was just awesome, Rutger Hauer was fun as Cardinal Rourke, and Carla Gugino was just incredible to look at. And Elijah Wood was creepy. After that, I don't think I wanted the film to end. It was gorgeous to look at, and the dialouge got better and better. It was a terrific film, and I hope Rodriguiez makes more of 'em.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
The biggest masturbatory teenage shut-in fantasy I've ever loving seen. I honestly don't think I've ever seen a movie written so blatantly for an audience that has never touched a girl. It's so appallingly misogynistic that I initially thought it had to be satire--every girl here is a hole that wants you to beat and gently caress her relentlessly and protect her from harm. Practically every character is a pubescent male's fantasy of toughness and coolness, although I guess I shouldn't be surprised since this piece of poo poo was derived from a comic book.

Have you ever sat and watched two assholes one-up each other with grand tales of masculinity? That's what Sin City feels like--a bunch of loosely-connected, exaggerated scenes of gratuitous violence and nudity. "You shot that guy in the balls? That's nuthin man, I pulled this dude's balls off with my bare hands!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Perfectly Noir. Every tough-guy is either undone by his own flaw or follows his path into oblivion. Every women is a whore with a heart of gold, or just a whore. Go searching down dark alleys, and you'll find things you wish you hadn't. This is the best Noir film since Chinatown over 30 years ago.

5/5