Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DukeRustfield
Aug 6, 2004
Directed by: Peter/Bobby Farrelly
Starring: Drew Barrymore, Jimmy Fallon

Written by:
Nick Hornby (novel)
Lowell Ganz (screenplay) &
Babaloo Mandel (screenplay)

Nick Hornby wrote books that inspired About a Boy and High Fidelity, so he's got a track record of decent, non-guy-killing romantic fare.

I had kept hearing this movie was a romantic comedy that guys could like. Well I was the only guy in the theater so be ready for that. The first, I don't know, 15-20 minutes is completely standard romcom stuff. Quirky guy who loves kids, smart gal. Sparks. I actually cringed at some really THIS ONE'S FOR THE LADIES jokes and situations.

But after that is over, it actually does start becoming a more guy-friendly movie.

It's a love story between Ben and Lindsey. Ben is a school teacher (read: underachiever to these upper middle-class chicks). Lindsey is something or other that makes a lot of money. Ben's dirty secret is he's a Red Sox fan. Where fan = devoted worshipper. He's gone to every game for decades and has season tickets behind the bullpen.

Ben's "affliction" is the source of most of the trouble in their budding relationship. Because he's romcom perfect in every other way. Though he doesn't make much money.

I'll say the movie is pretty smart and fun and great to take chicks too. In general I hate romcoms because they (help) ruin my dating life by making women think this is how life should be. Guys can watch Rambo and know that's not the way things are and people really can't blow up helicopters with paper clips. But women still want the poo poo in romcoms.

A hallmark of many many many is that low self-esteem, though gorgeous, Gal falls in love with handsome [zillionaire/royalty] Dude and she's just not good enough. Then at the end Dude says he will give up his [zillions/throne] just so he can devote his time to worshipping Gal and taking her on shopping sprees. I saw Fever Pitch going precariously in that direction but it pulled a few surprises and left the guy with (most of) his dignity in tact.

So I can safely give it good marks. It's nothing that will influence your life, but it's cute.

RATING: 3.5

PROS: Guys won't die watching it
CONS: It's still a romcom

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0332047/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Rob
Jul 12, 2004

Fallen Rib
The story was nothing special. However, being a Red Sox fan myself, I felt compelled to like it.

Boston is the only place this will have any sucess.

3.5/5

Iroqouiz
Dec 13, 2004

Do you have any problems about picking up shit?
Keep in mind that the script is loosely based on Nick Hornby's novel. The novel is great, but perhaps not to an American reader, considering it's about football and you Americans CALL IT SOCCERR LOL!11.

3/5 for me. It wasn't as bad as I'd thought. Without the Farrelly-brothers I doubt this would've been even watchable.

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
3.5/5 for me.

It wasn't very bad, and as far as cliché romantic comedies goes, this was better than a lot of them.

EPS
Mar 19, 2003

READY... FIGHT!
I absolutely hate Drew Barrymore and am pretty much indifferent to Jimmy Fallon, but this movie is a nice little film despite its cast. A cute movie that's worth your time to watch if you aren't doing anything better that day.

4/5