Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

I think (sadly) this thread might die a quiet death, but those sort of stories are fascinating.

Edit: Excellent, now that it's stickied I'll have a chance to look up some of my favorite stories when I get off work so I can post them. Then someone will have to get an mp3 of Paul Harvey reading them.

And now you know ... the rest of the story. Good day!

Dog Faced JoJo fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 20, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Just a short one:

Originally, John Wilkes Booth planned to kidnap Lincoln, possibly as a bartering chip to release Confederate POW's but most likely because of his hatred of Lincoln. After a couple of attempts failed because Lincoln failed to appear as scheduled, Booth decided on assassination.

Booth decided on a very bold endeavor. A plan was made to also assassinate Sec. of State William Seward (stabbed but survived), VP Andrew Johnson (assassin got cold feet), and Gen. U.S. Grant, who was scheduled to join the Lincolns at Ford's Theater, but cancelled at the last moment.

There are also the interesting facts surrounding Dr. Samuel Mudd, the doctor who set Booth's broken leg after he escaped the theater, but since the facts are all so questionable, I'll omit them from here so as to avoid derailment on discussions of historical accuracy.

Dog Faced JoJo
Oct 15, 2004

Woof Woof

Another quick one:

All Americans know that our first President was a hero of the revolution. What they might not know what that he established the observance of Thanksgiving Day (4th Thursday in Nov.), assisted in the design of the Great Seal of the United States of America, and ordered all foreign troops out of the new country. Oh, and his name was John Hanson, not George Washington.

Between the time the Articles of Confederation were accepted (1777) and the U.S. Constitution was ratified (1789), somebody had to run the fledgling country. While Washington was busy winning battles, a series of eight men were elected by congress to one year terms as caretakers of the country. Although the official title was "President of the United States in Congress Assembled", the powers were really quite limited in comparison to those granted by the Constitution.