Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
boatiemathmo
Dec 12, 2004

quote:

Satan's Scallion came out of the closet to say:
Sir Ernest motherfuckin' Shackleton:

Almost 7 months camping on ice floes, followed by a 16 day, 800 mile voyage in a tiny rear end 22 foot boat (covered with tarp and sealed with oil paint, no joke) with 5 men crammed in it through the most vicious seas in the world, followed by a climb over some seriously bad-rear end mountains using no mountain gear at all except for screws stuck into their boot bottoms and a carpenter's adz.

Not a single man died.

For any goons interested, the James Caird (ship they used) is on display in Dulwich College's North Cloister in South London, and it's entirely free for any members of the public to walk in and take a look. How do I know? Why, 'twas my old school. Indeed, one of the boys there enjoyed a bit of folling around with his girlfriend in it after school one day.
That was not cool at all.
If you do pop down, I strongly advise you to go visit the Wodehouse Library just next to it. There's an old archivist up there who wanders around in slippers all day, and if not too busy will happily regale you with plenty of stories about Shackleton or any of the school's other old boys until your ears melt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU