Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Maybe you guys saw a different movie than I did. I saw an over the top corny run away flick that focuses on boredom instead of the "War of the Worlds" that we hear about in the film's title.

Thinking back on the film I would say that the CG was the closest thing to flawless. The acting was on par for what I expected and everything else was mediocre at best. This movie has more plot holes than Signs (and shares it's insanity for endings).

HEAVY SPOILERS
Let's get down to it, this movie follows Tom Cruise and family that do NOTHING. There was no point for a movie to follow none of the important parts of an alien attack and just follow 1 group of people that are supposed to represent everyone else that have ZERO effect on the outcome of the human race. It was pretty lame.

Spielberg also made Jaws, so imagine if you can, if he made Jaws follow the story of a Lifegaurd. The Lifegaurd is there to see Jaws kill and attack people, he moves people away from the beach, but then runs away never to go after the Great White. Oh and by the way, the shark would be allergic to human meat and die or something.

Which brings us to the insane ending. I know I know, "THE BOOK! THE BOOK!" Who cares? Change it because it's a lame loving ending. They mention that these aliens have been studying us for years and know exactly how to eradicate us and yet these don't test for microbes? With all of their advanced weaponary they don't loving have microscopes? And what if they didn't? What kind of attack force doesn't send down advance scouts? THEY HAVE NO loving SCOUTS? This would be like humans attacking a Lava Planet filled with Lava People with our bare hands. It's just idiotic.

This isn't nit-picking people, this is a lack of common sense.

Finally, this movie brings us nothing new. We already have a movie about surviving a major human-devastating event that focuses on people with Deep Impact, we have a human survival and fight back story with Independence Day, and we already have a lame rear end never really fight the aliens but they just die in the end for no reason movie with Signs. You can forgive all that if War of the Worlds actually paid off or improves on those things, but it doesn't. It just hacks them all together in one mega-suck pretty package. It's bland, pointless, mediocre, but looks good.

Oh and the son survived. Give me a break Hollywood!

Some of you need your heads examined.
2/5

EDIT: Keep your eyes peeled for Speildberg favorites: The little blonde girl screaming and scared (E.T.) and the old Enemey gets to an area to check it out RIGHT after a character moves around a corner (almost all Spielberg movies, for reference see Jurassic Park's kitchen scene).

An Ounce of Gold fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 1, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU