Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_cheese
Sep 11, 2002
I AM A LIAR
I'll say first off that i hate tom cruise to the point where i avoid most of his movies.

That being said, i thought he did a pretty good job in this film. He portayed an divorced dad, emotionaly seperated from his kids pretty well (drawing from real experience?). The build up and attack by the aliens was pretty well done. The scenes of terrible destruction brought about by the "tripods" were done with enought sense to believe real people might act that way when approached by them (ie no people standing and gawking after seeing one blow up their nieghbor ect..)

the movie had me up untill the very end, when the son appears alive after going over a hill which was subsequently expolded .

it was made apparent to me at that moment this was NOT a new look at the old story, but the same old movie done over with new effects. I had been willing to overlook this prior to said spoiler happening, but the movie "title" changed from one about how "regular people" would deal with a alien invasion, to one of how "movie people" deal with an alien invasion.

The sound was good, i didnt really notice any music, and the CG was well done. Cruise gave a pretty good performance, and dakota fanning seems destined to be a big star if she doesnt make a wrong turn somewhere. But the ending ruined all the hard work spielburg put into the rest of the film. I cant recommend this movie, as for 98% of it, it seemed to be a drama, but at the end it is revealed as its true self, a more depressing, less fun version of Indepence day.

3/5 all for the CG and sound work

Pros: CG is realistic, cities getting blown up is fun, sound is scary, cruise does a good job.

Cons: Annoying kids (but ok acted), Basment scene could have been cut entirely without any loss to the story as a whole, Ending does not fit with the rest of the movie at all (ie people getting vaporized, AIRPLANES getting shot down, but a certain character somehow escapes unscathed from literaly dead center of an alien offesive, and travels a large distance to appear for a happy reunion later)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU