Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retroblique
Oct 16, 2002

Now the wild world is lost, in a desert of smoke and straight lines.
I need to see this movie a second time before I post my usual/detailed review. My enjoyment first time round was marred by a) an upset stomach and b) some chucklefuck sitting directly behind us who let out this loud, obnoxious giggle whenever someone said something that was either vaguely ironic/amusing or not at all ironic/amusing.

I knew we were in trouble when he responded thusly during the King Kong trailer:

Jack Black: Herb, get the camera.

Chucklefuck: HUUURRR! HUUURRR! HUUURRR! HUUURRR! HUUURRR! HUUURRR!

Christ, it was relentless. A "shut the gently caress up!" didn't have any affect.

Anyway, War of the Worlds. In a nutshell, a Spielberg masterpiece. Despite all the naysayers moaning that he opted for a modern setting, this adaptation is actually the most faithful to the novel.

The Independence Day crowd will be disappointed. If you want a melodramatic portrayal of an alien invasion, with wall-to-wall special effects and soap opera characters, then stay away. If you want a darker, grittier, more realistic portrayal of how people are likely to respond to terrifying and outlandish things happening to them, then this is the one to see.

In War of the Worlds, regular people don't jump on a plane with the President, fly to some secret base populated by crazy scientists and fighter pilots with poo poo-eating grins. This time round, regular people are powerless to do anything but run around in circles like headless chickens and die in spectacularly terrifying ways.

Keeping the focus (and perspective) on Cruise's family is what makes this movie stand out from the crowd. We experience the catastrophic turmoil of an alien invasion through the eyes of regular people, not stereotypical ciphers. Every single scene of the movie, without exception, is told from the perspective of either Cruise or Fanning.

We don't cut to the secret underground bunker to watch military personnel conduct a counter attack. We don't cut to the President sitting in the White House, pondering the fate of humanity. We don't cut to the fighter pilots about to launch an attack on the enemy. We don't cut to clips of news channels around the world reporting on events. We don't need to, because we've seen all that bollocks before. Instead, we're down in the mud with the rest of the herd, running scared, not knowing what the gently caress is going to happen next.

Erm, I think I said something about a short review. If you've read the original novel and want to see the best modern adaptation possible, go see this movie. If you want to see Independence Day 2, go and rent ID4/Godzilla/The Day After Tomorrow again.

Provisional score: 4.5/5

Retroblique fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jul 1, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU