Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Opinions are very mixed with this movie. I think people were expecting something closer to Independence Day, which is sort of an epic story revolving around many people. War of the Worlds is different. You see it only from Tom Cruises point of view. There are no sweeping shots of devistated cities, only what Cruise can see from his eyes. The most you get to see of the worldwide devestation is through some TV screens in a TV van.

This makes the movie a lot more personal. With ID4, you didn't really feel anything when people got blasted to poo poo, they even pulled some humour out of it (the gay guy trying to get to his mothers while a giant explosion hurdles towards him, a bunch of alien nuts on top of a building with signs saying "bring back elvis"). With WOTW, the deaths are actually rather upsetting, not so much tearjerking, but the general tone of the movie is definately dark. This isn't really a negative towards ID4, just saying that the two movies are very different in tone, despite the similar base story.

Also, the ending kinda sucks. Not so much concerning the aliens, that was handled well, but the ending for Tom Cruise is rather disappointing. It didn't ruin the movie for me though.

I sadly havn't read the book or seen the TV series. It's been an aim of mine for a while though. Just wanted to add this to the review so you understand that I'm not biased in anyway towards the source material.

4.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU