Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NADZILLA
Dec 16, 2003
iron helps us play
There were a few tense scenes, but for the most part it was just more dull Spielberg storytelling. I'm honestly convinced that he doesn't have the time or inclination to talk to real people, so much that he's grown to believe the world really is filled with triumph-over-adversity dads and wise children. His characters are as phony and emotionally sterile as the European girls I watch Rocco Siffredi drill. He also does what most lazy directors do by making the enemies unbeatable, but stupid and vulnerable when it's convienient. There was even an extended scene where the "eye" of an alien ship scans the area Cruise & Co. are hiding out in that had me shouting my displeasure to the rear end in a top hat next to me. These are aliens with the ability to travel space, yet they can't use a human scanner to find life signs in a basement?

And for all the credit Spielberg gets as a legendary director, this sure was an artless, boring script. I couldn't help thinking throughout the movie that it was only average, and only average because he happened to have $150 million to spend on elaborate emotional jolts. Dakota Fanning is ridiculous to watch because she's a child actor playing a child, but who isn't really experiencing her own childhood. How the hell is she supposed to know how a kid really acts? She learns it from a screenwriter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU