Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Johnny B. Goode
Apr 5, 2004

by Ozma
War of the Worlds is simply the best, thrilling, sci-fi movie since Jurassic Park. I'm glad that I chose to read the book last week, before I came to see the movie, because Spielburg really stuck close to the book, unlike the 1950's adaptation. I don't think any other actor could have done the job better than Cruise in this one. Sure he may be a looney Scientologist in real life, but in this movie he freaking owned the screen. Dakota Fanning did a splendid job, just as people have been saying.

The special effects were AMAZING. I honestly think Hollywood is making a comeback from the use of CG in lovely situations to make lovely effects, to actually making things feel more genuine. The tripods owned, and the aliens looked wonderful as well. About the tripods: did anyone else think, "Strider!" I have to say, the creepest part about the whole drat movie was the sound the tripods make. When you heard that squeelish blast, you know some poo poo is about to go down.

I liked the fact that the nararator indirectly stated that the common cold defeated the aliens, staying true to the book. I wondered how Spielburg would handle the ending, and I'm glad that he didn't spell it out like we're all retarded. I also liked the way we didn't know what the gently caress was going on. It felt like you were actually in their situation.

The only thing I would have preferred, would of been about 5-10 minutes more of US armed forces blasting the gently caress out of tripods/aliens. It would have been awesome if the alien at the end would have just gradually snuck out and everyone unloaded on him.

Pros: Everything: death, destruction, chaos, loving overall solid movie.
Cons: None.

Rating: 5.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU