Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sir Victory
Apr 26, 2003
What an awful loving movie. I'm going to list what I hated because I don't feel like making it into a coherent paragraph:

-Johnny Depp's character is absolutely awful.

-It is just as unfaithful, if not more, to the book with all of the added and unnecessary crap such as Wonka's father.

-The Oompah Loompahs, while more faithful to Dahl's, were uninspired and the songs were GOD AWFUL. The Dance Routines, camera effects and special effects were WAY TOO MUCH. It was a super-saturation, and not in a kitchy sense, either.

-On a related note, the songs were trite and awful. I didn't care much for the original songs in the first movie, either, but they had some small sort of charm at least.

-I know I've listed this but I could not get over how terrible Depp's portrayal of Wonka's character is. It's absolutely not charming, imprecise (which is not always bad, but was in this case), and just loving terrible.

-Classic scenes in the old movie which were also part of the book (such as the wall-licking scene) were often left out in favor of more CGI-laden overdone garbage.

-Speaking of CGI crap, every single rendered thing in the movie was unconvincing and looked outright stupid, ESPECIALLY Violet Beauregarde.

-The kids, although good actors, had absolutely transparent one-dimensional roles, even moreso than the original characters. The characters were originally quite blatant in their flaws, but this movie stuck it out so obviously that it was quite clear that Burton felt the need to "dumb it down".

-The ending was tacked on. Giving this sort of dimension to Wonka was unnecessary and entirely clashes with the actual original point of Wonka's character. In the book he is designed to be an ultimate paternal figure who conveys a side of myth, harsh reality, entertainer and necessary father figure where there currently isn't one for each child. He displays actual consequences to them. The origins of his family are not discussed nor important.

Here are the good things:

- Violet's mother was an absolute nail on the head in regards to semi-yuppy Georgia women. In the TV interview scene I laughed quite a lot. That was good.

-Each kid had a better actor (but a poorer role).

That's about it. I hated this movie and will give it a 1 only because I actually enjoy and respect Tim Burton and Johnny Depp, and every artist is entilted to occasionally make off-the-mark work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU