Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crown Royal
Jan 5, 2005

shoot her
Directed by: Oliver Stone
Starring: Sean Penn, Jennifer Lopez, Nick Nolte, Powers Boothe, Billy Bob Thorton

U Turn is an adaptation of John Ridley's book Stray Dogs. And while the film has really entertaining performances, writing, and directing, it also is taken down notches due to shoddy editing techniques (think Natural Born Killers with the whole 'Let's throw random poo poo on screen for one second' sorta deal)

The story revolves around Sean Penn's character named Bobby Cooper, who makes a stop in Superior, Arizona due to the unfortunate case of his car breaking down. And it is only the beginning of unfortunate events that begin to occur for him. As throughout the film, he meets the rather bizarre characters of the town whilst also having every attempt to leave the place be torn apart in some way or another.

While in the town, he meets up with a femme fatale played by Jennifer Lopez. And as he soon learns, she is married to the town's local Real Estate businessman played by Nick Nolte. Who is also a bit screwed up in the head with the rest of the townspeople. Penn tries to avoid all contact with them after learning this, but thinks back on an offer given to him by Nolte for a good amount of cash. And when he realizes that it might be the only way to get out of town, he starts to ponder on it.

I'm not sure why but Jennifer Lopez's character was also kinda responsible for making the film a tad boring. Maybe she was just given a terrible script, or maybe it was her fault for performing it in a somewhat confusing (and kinda boring) matter. She is the reason the last act of the film started to make me lose interest. Although when that ending came up, I think it redeemed most of it.

Besides that, the rest of the town is filled with colorful characters who were all quite entertaining in their own right (except maybe Jon Voight who's scenes served no purpose to the film in my opinion) Also I'll give praise to Stone for doing a nice directing job and choosing the perfect scenery for the story.

RATING: 3.5

PROS: Great performances by Penn and most of the cast in the film. Also nice scenery.
CONS: Annoying editing job, Lopez's character was pretty boring

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0120399/

Crown Royal fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 3, 2005

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chronic Reagan
Oct 13, 2000

pictures of plastic men
Fun Shoe
I hated this movie. It felt pointless and pointlessly violent - 'Let's see what degradations we can inflict on Sean Penn next! :q:'. Voted .5 for something I will never subject myself to again.