Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

UnclePlasticBitch posted:

:confused: My Berkeley apartment, which I began renting this past June, is rent controlled.

edit: Didn't realize I was resurrecting this thread. Oops.

Ha! I'll forgive it because I missed this the first time around. I've lived in SF since August but I don't branch out much. I also have to find a new apartment already. :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CapnPyro
Mar 18, 2003
I draw stuff.
My girlfriend lives in San Francisco and goes to Berkeley. I'm not sure I'd say I hate SF, but I certainly don't like it. It has eclectic shops, good food and lot's of 'culture' for what it's worth. None of that helps the mass of humanity in every corner of the city, high prices, filth, or the constant feeling of unease. I don't feel this unsafe when I'm in East LA, as I do in SF. In the past 3 months I've been up there I've had something done to my car 3 of the 4 times I've been up (broken into, tires deflated etc). If you you're bringing a car up there you may as well save yourself the trouble now and just remove the stereo, take off your hubcaps/replace with spare wheels and while you're at it go ahead and key it for good measure

Berkeley the school is really pretty, the city itself is small and slightly dirty. One of the streets on the way to the college is lined with lot's of good food though(vegetarian, thai, persian etc)

Just wanted to add a contrasting POV for the people reading this thread, if my girlfriend didn't live there you couldn't pay me to visit SF

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

CapnPyro posted:

None of that helps the mass of humanity in every corner of the city, high prices, filth, or the constant feeling of unease. I don't feel this unsafe when I'm in East LA, as I do in SF.
I don't get this, if you never leave downtown, the Haight or the Mission I can see how you might feel that way but that's not the entire city by a longshot. I've lived here for 6 years including in a couple less desirable places and never had a single bad thing happen to me. I live 4 blocks from some kind of ill poo poo but I also live 2 blocks from the park on top of Nob Hill where I can go see people playing with their dogs and reading the paper in the sunshine.

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

Blueprints of the dummy...
Notarized photos of you making the dummy...
And an alternate wording for the banner: "Buttzilla."
I can answer any questions about Atherton or Redwood City, both of which are within a few minutes of Palo Alto/Stanford.

If anyone has any questions about either of these places I will be shocked.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

CapnPyro posted:

My girlfriend lives in San Francisco and goes to Berkeley. I'm not sure I'd say I hate SF, but I certainly don't like it. It has eclectic shops, good food and lot's of 'culture' for what it's worth. None of that helps the mass of humanity in every corner of the city, high prices, filth, or the constant feeling of unease. I don't feel this unsafe when I'm in East LA, as I do in SF. In the past 3 months I've been up there I've had something done to my car 3 of the 4 times I've been up (broken into, tires deflated etc). If you you're bringing a car up there you may as well save yourself the trouble now and just remove the stereo, take off your hubcaps/replace with spare wheels and while you're at it go ahead and key it for good measure

I've lived in South Dakota all my life so I'm not used to big cities but I still don't really feel unsafe here, and I even life in a neighborhood that has a pretty bad rep.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Duke Chin posted:

What's there to do around here on a sunday afternoon/evening when you're tyring to live mildly cheap. I'm up in San Rafael but I know how to get around the bay fairly well.

Go to the beach! It's pretty nice out today. Or go to Muir Woods, or come into the city and just walk around. My girlfriend and I walked from our place in the Mission all the way to Ocean Beach a couple weeks ago. Took us three hours, it was awesome.

quote:

None of that helps the mass of humanity in every corner of the city, high prices, filth, or the constant feeling of unease. I don't feel this unsafe when I'm in East LA, as I do in SF. In the past 3 months I've been up there I've had something done to my car 3 of the 4 times I've been up (broken into, tires deflated etc). If you you're bringing a car up there you may as well save yourself the trouble now and just remove the stereo, take off your hubcaps/replace with spare wheels and while you're at it go ahead and key it for good measure

I'm not sure what neighborhoods you're hanging out in but most of the city is pretty quiet and residential and clean. Even in the neighborhood where I live, which is pretty busy and which is considered to be a fairly high crime neigbhorhood, I don't feel unsafe at all. If you are talking about "masses of humanity in every corner" I can only assume you're in the TL or SoMa or some such, because the vast majority of the city isn't like that at all. In fact the entire neighborhoods of the Sunset and the Richmond, which are huge and pretty much take up half the city, are the exact opposite of your description, as are all the various hill districts. You sound like you've seen only a very tiny portion of the city.

Wandle Shaytham posted:

I can answer any questions about Atherton or Redwood City, both of which are within a few minutes of Palo Alto/Stanford.

How the gently caress do people find their way around in Atherton at night? I went to a party or two there back when I was in high school and I don't think there's a single streetlight in the city, and the houses are all hidden behind trees, and the "street signs" are these wierd posts in the ground that you can barely see. What the hell is up with that?

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 23, 2005

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
I grew up in Berkeley (and my family has been here a looong time) and I can answer some questions about Berkeley and Oakland (although since I went away to college when I was 18 I can't really say much about the bar/club scene). I don't know much about SF though (I never went there enough).

Earwicker and qirex are spot-on with almost everything in this thread, although I've found that Earwicker and qirex are usually spot-on with everything, so no suprise there.

The following things are incorrect:
-that Contra Costa County is better than Alameda County. Contra Costa is loving boring, there's no way around it.
-that Berkeley is the most liberal city in the country. That award belongs to Arcata.
-that Berkeley is actually conservative. Sure, it's slightly more conservative than it used to be, but when compared with the rest of the country, we're among the bluest of the blue.
-that San Francisco gets "pretty cold" in the winter. Minnesota gets "pretty cold" in the winter. Maine gets "pretty cold" in the winter. San Francisco does not have a winter. The Bay Area has two seasons: "wet," which lasts from about the end of October to, I dunno, February, and "dry," which is the rest of it. Occasionally there are two to three weeks of "hot" in July or August/September. Oh and I'll say this because when I came out here to New York it surprised a number of people: IT DOES NOT SNOW IN THE BAY AREA. AT ALL. EVER. I thought everyone knew this, but apparently that's not the case.

And finally: I will buy the forums upgrade of the winner's choice for anyone who can tell me what the neighborhood in Berkeley bounded by Sacramento Ave., Grove St., Hopkins St., and Cedar Ave. is called. "North Berkeley" is not the correct answer. I'm just wondering if anyone else knows this.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

GrumpyDoctor posted:

And finally: I will buy the forums upgrade of the winner's choice for anyone who can tell me what the neighborhood in Berkeley bounded by Sacramento Ave., Grove St., Hopkins St., and Cedar Ave. is called. "North Berkeley" is not the correct answer. I'm just wondering if anyone else knows this.

You mean the Gourmet Ghetto, or is that a subset? I live there, at Shattuck & Cedar.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

GrumpyDoctor posted:

IT DOES NOT SNOW IN THE BAY AREA. AT ALL. EVER. I thought everyone knew this, but apparently that's not the case.

:eng101: it does snow in some of the hilly parts of the Bay Area in winter, like Mt. Diablo and some of the higher hills in the North Bay and on the Peninsula. I haven't seen it in a while but when I was growing up there were many years during which snow-topped hills were visible on the horizon for a good part of the year. And while I've never seen it snow in San Francisco it gets pretty loving cold in the Outer Richmond even during the summer, and that's coming from someone who lived in Pittsburgh for several years.

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

Earwicker posted:

How the gently caress do people find their way around in Atherton at night? I went to a party or two there back when I was in high school and I don't think there's a single streetlight in the city, and the houses are all hidden behind trees, and the "street signs" are these wierd posts in the ground that you can barely see. What the hell is up with that?
Quick answer: Psychological advantage over newcomers and outsiders.

I believe it is mainly a snob issue (nearly every god drat person here is a snob); the residents like to scare those who do not live there away by making sure that no one can find anything. It's ridiculous how in depth you have to go when giving directions to make sure the person finds your house. It's also sort of eerie to a non-resident, a town that is strange and unknown, unlike anywhere else that they've ever been to. It creates a sense like outsiders don't belong. Just the layout of the town gives the residents a superior feeling to outsiders.

Once you get the hang of it it's no problem, but when I first moved here I literally could not find my own house for the first few months.

Fixer
Sep 18, 2004
Fuck Gears. Fuck Coasting.

whoopyshit posted:

How does the average twenty-something make ends meet while living in the Bay Area and paying its exorbitant rent?

Well, you can live with a shitload of people, live in east bay, or have a good job. Keep in mind, there's a lotta jobs here that'll pay you enough to cover your share of an $1800 2-bedroom.

TranzorZ
Aug 25, 2005
Hovercraft Link!

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Northbrae?

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

GrumpyDoctor posted:

Oh and I'll say this because when I came out here to New York it surprised a number of people: IT DOES NOT SNOW IN THE BAY AREA. AT ALL. EVER. I thought everyone knew this, but apparently that's not the case.

well, it does snow, but the snow consists of a quarter-inch dusting once in a blue leap year moon.

something that no one's really mentioned yet, but one of the nicest things about the bay is that there are a zillion things you can do within a relatively small travel distance. depending where you're living, the napa valley is 1-2 hours away, tahoe is roughly 3 hours (maybe 4 if you're south bay), pacifica and stinson for beaches, monterey's a couple of hours, tons of beautiful landscape everywhere and teriffic hiking, esp. west marin, at least 6 major sports teams involving just about every major sports league, and all the other stuff you get from living by a huge city.

plus it's pretty diverse, there's a ton of different ethnic restaurants and farmers markets, and lots of the people are pretty nice. i've lived here my whole life, and i'd need to do some serious searching to find places where i'd rather live.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

How's the thrash metal scene in Bay Area these days?

Big Butt Skinner
Apr 16, 2005

ulvir posted:

It's not very big at all. Hardcore music is what I've been seeing the most of lately.

Epic Proportions
Apr 17, 2002

I love the powerglove, it's so bad.

Ozma posted:

I've lived in South Dakota all my life so I'm not used to big cities but I still don't really feel unsafe here, and I even life in a neighborhood that has a pretty bad rep.

Do you go out past midnight? I really hate the city late at night, during the day it's fine (in most areas). About 3 years ago my friend and I caught a band down at Pier 22 and were trying to get back to his apartment. He ran down into the subway to see if it was running and I saw four seedy gentlemen run down right after him. I got pretty freaked out and hid behind something and saw him come running out telling me to "Go Go Go Go". Luckily a cab showed up at that moment or I don't know what would've happened.

Peeps
Aug 10, 2004

Epic Proportions posted:

Do you go out past midnight? I really hate the city late at night, during the day it's fine (in most areas).

I go out past midnight pretty frequently. While there are certainly a few specific places where I wouldn't want to be in the middle of the night, for the most part I feel just as safe as in any other major city I've spent time in, which is quite a few.

Epic Proportions
Apr 17, 2002

I love the powerglove, it's so bad.

Peeps posted:

I go out past midnight pretty frequently. While there are certainly a few specific places where I wouldn't want to be in the middle of the night, for the most part I feel just as safe as in any other major city I've spent time in, which is quite a few.

I guess I just scare easily or have an uncanny lack of trust in people prowling around at night following people into subways.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Wandle Shaytham posted:

If anyone has any questions about either of these places I will be shocked.

Where da women at?? :mad: All I can find are stuck up Stanford girls with their jockish boyfriends.
Speaking of, do meat market bars exist in the Bay Area? (That aren't gay bars.)

ulvir posted:

I'm not too aware of it existing on it's own. You may find it combined with various punk shows, which are common.

For the record, I hate San Francisco. There's not a time I go there that I say "I hate this city." But then again, I'm usually doing the following: Driving, circling for parking, and walking alone at night. So maybe my perspective is skewed.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Epic Proportions posted:

I guess I just scare easily or have an uncanny lack of trust in people prowling around at night following people into subways.

Or maybe it was just a chance incident that can happen in any major city.

Mackerel, the Thief
Sep 24, 2003

I don't mean to bump this back up, but some poo poo has recently gone down and I might have to find a new apartment sometime soon. Any goons with rooms in the Bay Area (preferably East Bay)?

Arzy
Apr 17, 2003

You are the Dragonborn, Ride forth to your Destiny
Ive lived in Chicago for most of my life after college (10 years) and I love San Francisco. Everytime my wife and I go there I tell myself Im moving to your wonderful city.

I guess my question is this, how bad is the temperature? What are the months of Dec - Mar like?

denizen
Aug 12, 2003
i am the only denizen
Have any of you seen Zion I live and are they as awesome as I would expect they are?

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Just looked up the temp for SF and for January the average low in the morning is 48 and average high during the day is 58 for SF, though most cities in the bay area are warmer than SF if you are just planning on leaving near it and not in it.

Pain of Mind fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 26, 2005

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Arzy posted:

I guess my question is this, how bad is the temperature? What are the months of Dec - Mar like?

Probably not nearly as bad as it gets in Chicago. But it does get pretty cold, wet, and windy here. The thing with SF is that it's so hilly that different neighborhoods always have different weather. The Mission and Downtown and SoMa are usually pretty decent no matter what. The Richmond and the Sunset which are right on the ocean get nasty and its always foggy there. The hill districts get really really windy up on top but its not as bad on the lower slopes.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Twinxor posted:

You mean the Gourmet Ghetto, or is that a subset? I live there, at Shattuck & Cedar.

The Ghetto is more east. The eastern boundary of what I'm talking about is Grove St.

TranzorZ posted:

Northbrae?

No, although I really should have bounded it at Rose, not Hopkins (Northbrae doesn't really extend down to Cedar anyway).

upstartcrow
Dec 14, 2002

Runs with scissors
Ooooh, I love it here. I live in northern San Jose, literally spitting distance from Santana Row (upper-crusty chi-chi outdoor mall) and slightly south of Santa Clara. I've lived in the Bay Area my entire life, as has the majority of my family. We came out here in the 1860s from Ireland, and just kind of stuck around, I guess. The people who say there are no seasons here are correct: we just get variations on "Partly sunny to mostly cloudy with highs in the upper 70s to low 80s and overnight lows in the upper 40s to low 50s." The South Bay gets warm (80s and 90s, clear skies), especially during March/April and September/October except this year, which has been weirder than weird. San Francisco has the nightlife, San Jose has long, wide streets and asshats who drive 85 mph in school zones, Berkeley well deserves its international reputation for fabulous freakery, and Oakland is the hometown of Tupac and the Raiders. Actually, Oakland is the only place here I'm afraid to go at night--it's the giant prison tattoo on the arm of the Bay Area: it's really cool to look at, but you really don't want to get one yourself.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

upstartcrow posted:

Actually, Oakland is the only place here I'm afraid to go at night--it's the giant prison tattoo on the arm of the Bay Area: it's really cool to look at, but you really don't want to get one yourself.

Most of Oakland is safer at night than San Francisco and many other parts of the Bay Area. It's a great, mellow city. You aren't really likely to encounter violence in Oakland unless you are part of a gang or are in the drug dealing business. You're more likely to get assaulted at random in parts of SF or even some other Peninsula and East Bay towns.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

While the temperatures are moderate there's something about 50 degrees, damp and windy in SF that even makes hardened northern midwesterners complain. There's also a lot of days where it would be nice if it wasn't windy. A lot of people complain about there not being "seasons" but I prefer the unpredictability we have here.

Replicant-001
Aug 17, 2004

CapnPyro posted:

In the past 3 months I've been up there I've had something done to my car 3 of the 4 times I've been up (broken into, tires deflated etc). If you you're bringing a car up there you may as well save yourself the trouble now and just remove the stereo, take off your hubcaps/replace with spare wheels and while you're at it go ahead and key it for good measure

Did you park in the Tenderloin or Hunter's Point?

Astronomy Domine
Dec 20, 2004

A fight between the blue you once knew

Earwicker posted:

Most of Oakland is safer at night than San Francisco and many other parts of the Bay Area. It's a great, mellow city. You aren't really likely to encounter violence in Oakland unless you are part of a gang or are in the drug dealing business. You're more likely to get assaulted at random in parts of SF or even some other Peninsula and East Bay towns.
Are you basing this on actual crime statistics, or your personal experience? The data I've seen suggests that violent crime per capita in Oakland is twice that of the City. Personally, I've been mugged at gunpoint in Oakland. Oakland does have nicer weather and cheaper rent.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Astronomy Domine posted:

Are you basing this on actual crime statistics, or your personal experience? The data I've seen suggests that violent crime per capita in Oakland is twice that of the City. Personally, I've been mugged at gunpoint in Oakland. Oakland does have nicer weather and cheaper rent.

I'm basing this on personal experience. I know the crime statistics say otherwise but having lived in both Oakland and San Francisco and having spent a lot of time in both cities even when not living there, Oakland just seems a lot safer. There have been times when I've felt nervous being alone at night in certain parts of SF but I never really felt that way in Oakland, even in sketchy areas.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK
I'm a newcomer to the bay area. I'm living and working in Sunnyvale now. I moved across the country from Pennsylvania with my wife so I'm still trying to make the transition even though I've been here since the middle of June. Hmm, some questions I can think of:

Where can you get good hot wings in Silicon Valley? I'm from North East Pennsylvania and we had an abundance of great wings, but here all I can find is the normal chain crap (Chilji's etc) and Cluck University by SCU. I don't understand the fascination with Cluck U, the wings suck there in my opinion. :(

How about some good BBQ? Any recomendations? I love me some BBQ but I haven't really found "the spot" here yet. I presume it's just becuase I'm a newbie and haven't learned too much.

I love this area, soo beautiful and friendly (although drivers...wtf?!) I stil haven't been able to make many friends but I'm sure that'll come with time I guess. I miss being in college and high school, was much easier meeting people that way than being married and 25.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Haydez posted:

How about some good BBQ? Any recomendations? I love me some BBQ but I haven't really found "the spot" here yet. I presume it's just becuase I'm a newbie and haven't learned too much.
People I know who are from BBQ-centric parts of the country [KC, TN, Texas] have told me that there really isn't any great BBQ they know of and it's the one thing they can't find. Just eat more Korean BBQ.

freehat
Dec 15, 2004

Contact Celebration

qirex posted:

People I know who are from BBQ-centric parts of the country [KC, TN, Texas] have told me that there really isn't any great BBQ they know of and it's the one thing they can't find. Just eat more Korean BBQ.

Any suggestions on good food places of any kind anywhere in the general Bay Area? I'm a perpetually hungry college student.

markerstore
Dec 5, 2003
Canny!

Wandle Shaytham posted:

Is it true that Atherton is gerrymandered so that there are no Atherton addresses anywhere on El Camino Real? I live half a block from the Menlo Park city limits sign on ECR, and the Red Cottage Inn, which is another three blocks or so, is already a Redwood City address.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

There's a good Mexican BBQ chicken place near where I live, on Folsom and 24th. I don't know of any good old school American BBQ places, there's "Big Nate's" which is on Folsom and it's not bad but not really the real deal. Though as Qirex suggests there's good Korean BBQ pretty much all over the Bay Area.

freehat posted:

Any suggestions on good food places of any kind anywhere in the general Bay Area? I'm a perpetually hungry college student.

There is very good food pretty much everywhere in the Bay Area. You'd have to narrow it down. What town or city are you in?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Big Nate's kind of sucks. At least the BBQ does. The cornbread and beans are good.

Haydez
Apr 8, 2003

EVIL LINK

freehat posted:

check out http://www.jatbar.com for some reviews of bay area places. I found a few nice places I liked from their reviews, but my taste is a bit different since I don't like much vegetables. The one guy is a vegitarian so some of the review scores are slanted a lot.

If you're near San Jose or Campbell check out the Sonoma Chicken Coop. Good food and cheap. $8 for a half chicken with a side that even fills my fat rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astronomy Domine
Dec 20, 2004

A fight between the blue you once knew

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I checked the maps at the city assessors office this afternoon. That area (Between Rose/Cedar and Sacramento/Grove) is mostly Northlands Tract #1 until about Edith. The western part is made up of parts of Buena Vista Tract and Buena Peralta.

Grove Street is now called Martin Luther King Blvd. Garfield Middle School has also been renamed after MLK. Grove park is still called Grove Park.

• Locked thread