Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astronomy Domine
Dec 20, 2004

A fight between the blue you once knew

Haydez posted:

How about some good BBQ? Any recomendations? I love me some BBQ but I haven't really found "the spot" here yet. I presume it's just becuase I'm a newbie and haven't learned too much.
If you make it up to the City much, check out Memphis Minnies in the Lower Haight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

qirex posted:

Big Nate's kind of sucks. At least the BBQ does. The cornbread and beans are good.

The only thing I've had from there was the hot links submerged in sauce. They were alright, not bad, but nothing spectacular.

The Banana King
Sep 11, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Astronomy Domine posted:

Are you basing this on actual crime statistics, or your personal experience? The data I've seen suggests that violent crime per capita in Oakland is twice that of the City. Personally, I've been mugged at gunpoint in Oakland. Oakland does have nicer weather and cheaper rent.

East Oakland is sketch as gently caress but the rest of Oakland is pretty safe unless you're a skinny white boy wandering around alone in ghetto areas at night. Unless you're in a gang or something crime in Oakland is not that bad at all.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I love anime posted:

East Oakland is sketch as gently caress but the rest of Oakland is pretty safe unless you're a skinny white boy wandering around alone in ghetto areas at night. Unless you're in a gang or something crime in Oakland is not that bad at all.

Even as a skinny white boy it's still not bad. :)

The Banana King
Sep 11, 2003

by Fistgrrl

Earwicker posted:

Even as a skinny white boy it's still not bad. :)

In East Oakland?

Astronomy Domine
Dec 20, 2004

freehat posted:

Any suggestions on good food places of any kind anywhere in the general Bay Area? I'm a perpetually hungry college student.

That's like walking into a bookstore and asking them to recommend a good book. "Good", "any kind", "anwhere", "general Bay Area" is way too general. Pick up a copy of Zagat's if you're serious about food. Not that Zagat's "people's choice awards" are totally authoritative, it's a pretty good start. My ex used to like the reviews at City Search as well. All the local rags rank all food categories annually.

Expensive: Gary Danko, Fifth Floor, Chez Panisse
Sushi: Kirala, Sushi Go Go, Blowfish, Ozumo
South Asian: Vic's, Ajanta, Breads of India, Pakwan
Dim sum: Harbor Village, East Ocean
Friday Burrito after last call: El Farolito
Gourmet Mexican: Dona Tomas
Tapas: Cesar, Cha cha cha, Ramblas, Thirsty Bear, Picarro
Chicken and Waffles: House of Chicken and Waffles
Breakfast: Betty's Diner, Pork Store Cafe
Steakhouse: Harris'
3AM Burger, fries, milkshake: Sparky's
Contemporary Italian: Delfina
Sicilian Italian: Le Coco's
Over-the-top comfort food: Home
Latin American fusion: Platanos
Vietnamese: Slanted Door, Le Cheval
Singaporean: Straits Cafe
Deep dish pizza: Zachary's
Gourmet Burger: Barney's
Hip but good: Luna Park

Overrated: Fleur de Lis, Brandy Ho's, House of Nanking, Stinking Rose

Astronomy Domine fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Oct 27, 2005

Astronomy Domine
Dec 20, 2004

I love anime posted:

West Oakland is far scarier than East Oakland. I lived in Fruitvale for a year, and it wasn't too bad. Of course, I never ventured down to Seminary or around the Coliseum. That's just stupid.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Astronomy Domine posted:

I checked the maps at the city assessors office this afternoon. That area (Between Rose/Cedar and Sacramento/Grove) is mostly Northlands Tract #1 until about Edith. The western part is made up of parts of Buena Vista Tract and Buena Peralta.

Grove Street is now called Martin Luther King Blvd. Garfield Middle School has also been renamed after MLK. Grove park is still called Grove Park.

I'm impressed with your research but it's still not the neighborhood name I'm looking for. No one's probably called it what I'm looking for in three or four decades, I'm betting.

Astronomy Domine
Dec 20, 2004

GrumpyDoctor posted:

I'm impressed with your research but it's still not the neighborhood name I'm looking for. No one's probably called it what I'm looking for in three or four decades, I'm betting.
Are you sure the area you're describing is bounded exactly by the streets you mention? I walked around there this afternoon. It's really kinda a combination of different styles and developments. The part closer to MLK is architecturally similar to most Berkeley (larger, more multi family), though the little row of houses on Rose Knoll looked like they were out of turn of the century New Englad. The Holly Hill part around Holly St. and Buena is like a neighborhood out of the 50's.

When I'm walking home tomorrow, maybe I'll ask some of the geezers watering their flowers if they know.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I love anime posted:

In East Oakland?

No I mean in the other sketchy areas like from 20th to 50th streets between Telegraph and Adeline or so. There's a lot of violence over there but it's pretty much all gang related, not as likely to affect random people in the area. Even in East Oakland it's not that bad.

West Oakland used to be really bad but it's actually changed a huge amount over the last year. Now there are a lot of artist lofts and a ton of new apartment buildings and in general its getting gentrified.

Astronomy Domine
Dec 20, 2004

qirex posted:

Buddah Bar [Grant and Washington] kind of a dive, it's a tiny little bar with a cool bartender who loves liar's dice. It's a great place to go at the beginning or end of the evening. Extremely mixed crowd due to its location. It's also right next to Sam Wo's which is the chinese place open latest in the city.
Mark!!! I love that guy. He has to be the drunkest bartender I've ever known. Sometimes he gets so drunk he starts serving free rounds. I have no idea how that place stays above water.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Astronomy Domine posted:

Sushi: Kirala, Sushi Go Go, Blowfish, Ozumo

Ozumo is awesome but really expensive. I've actually gotten some bad sashimi at Blowfish but the Fiest Roll is great. Also there's an unbelievable place in the Sunset on 9th and Lincoln called Ebisu.

quote:

Gourmet Mexican: Dona Tomas

I highly recommend Me Lindo Yucatan on 15th and Valencia. Get the slow-roasted pork. That poo poo is incredible.

quote:

Vietnamese: Slanted Door, Le Cheval

There are more like Vietnamese/French fusion places, both have good food but I hate eating at the Slanted Door. For some really good and fairly cheap stuff check out Pho 84 in downtown Oakland.

Astronomy Domine
Dec 20, 2004

Earwicker posted:

Ozumo is awesome but really expensive. I've actually gotten some bad sashimi at Blowfish but the Fiest Roll is great. Also there's an unbelievable place in the Sunset on 9th and Lincoln called Ebisu.
Yeah, Ozumo is also kinda a scene. Blowfish really more for the experience than the food. I prefer more Japanese/authentic sushi to the fusion stuff. I've heard about Ebisu, but getting to that corner of the City is a PITA when you're coming from the East Bay and you eschew driving.

Earwicker posted:

I highly recommend Me Lindo Yucatan on 15th and Valencia. Get the slow-roasted pork. That poo poo is incredible.
I shall do so next time I'm out that way (probably tomorrow). (Also, I love carnitas).

Earwicker posted:

There are more like Vietnamese/French fusion places, both have good food but I hate eating at the Slanted Door. For some really good and fairly cheap stuff check out Pho 84 in downtown Oakland.

I guess you're right, but when it comes to food, French + Vietnamese is possibly the richest combination you can get. A friend of mine is always in search of good Pho; I'll mention that to her.

Replicant-001
Aug 17, 2004

I eat out a lot in SF. Here is my restaurant recommendation list on Yelp.

CLICK HERE AS HARD AS YOU CAN.

I reviewed each place I regularly ate at. 31 Places, not much but it adds up. Add me if you Yelp. I have no friends on it. :(

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
Anyone know a good vacation rental in SF for one or two nights? I will probably visit the city from SJ with my girlfriend and want a house-like place to stay. Any recommended areas or places we should stay away from? And what's some good and cheap place to eat in SF.... for any kind of food.

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

DaNzA posted:

Anyone know a good vacation rental in SF for one or two nights? I will probably visit the city from SJ with my girlfriend and want a house-like place to stay. Any recommended areas or places we should stay away from? And what's some good and cheap place to eat in SF.... for any kind of food.

I don't know how popular these are.

But there are MANY hotels that don't have that hotel feel to them. They're usually kind of old, and small rooms. Like the Andrews Hotel. Very quiet and comfortable.

There was one on McAllister, but I forgot it's name. :(

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Astronomy Domine posted:

Are you sure the area you're describing is bounded exactly by the streets you mention? I walked around there this afternoon. It's really kinda a combination of different styles and developments. The part closer to MLK is architecturally similar to most Berkeley (larger, more multi family), though the little row of houses on Rose Knoll looked like they were out of turn of the century New Englad. The Holly Hill part around Holly St. and Buena is like a neighborhood out of the 50's.

When I'm walking home tomorrow, maybe I'll ask some of the geezers watering their flowers if they know.

The western boundary could be slightly more east, I guess (California maybe?). Honestly, this is something that I learned from my Dad, and I suspect he's going senile more every day (just because we have a lot of history doesn't mean he knows it all perfectly). If any of the geezers know that'd be awesome.

batmantis
May 17, 2004

I shiver with power, I ache with disease...

Replicant-001 posted:

I eat out a lot in SF. Here is my restaurant recommendation list on Yelp.

CLICK HERE AS HARD AS YOU CAN.

I reviewed each place I regularly ate at. 31 Places, not much but it adds up. Add me if you Yelp. I have no friends on it. :(

Dude, pick up a copy of Zagats, or something...

freehat
Dec 15, 2004

Contact Celebration

Astronomy Domine posted:

That's like walking into a bookstore and asking them to recommend a good book. "Good", "any kind", "anwhere", "general Bay Area" is way too general. Pick up a copy of Zagat's if you're serious about food. Not that Zagat's "people's choice awards" are totally authoritative, it's a pretty good start. My ex used to like the reviews at City Search as well. All the local rags rank all food categories annually.

Well, most people have general favorite places to fall back on whenever they're hungry and don't have anything specific in mind. It's a vague question on purpose, as I'm not out to do research for some government experiment or anything. I suppose I would prefer relatively informal places, though. I'm in Berkeley, but I'll drive anywhere if the food's good enough.

Astronomy Domine
Dec 20, 2004

freehat posted:

Well, most people have general favorite places to fall back on whenever they're hungry and don't have anything specific in mind. It's a vague question on purpose, as I'm not out to do research for some government experiment or anything. I suppose I would prefer relatively informal places, though. I'm in Berkeley, but I'll drive anywhere if the food's good enough.
I've lived in that town for over a decade, and I eat out about 6 nights a week.

Telegraph is your cheap, student eats. Fat Slice and Blondies for big, cheap pizza. Go to Mario's for a bowl of soup before your Mexican plate. Eat-a-Pita for gyros and falafel. Top Dog for the brat, the lemon, the hot. Steve's Korean BBQ will pile on the Kal Bi for $7. The rest of the Durant food court is worth experimenting with, but I don't find it that great. The Blue Nile will expose you to Ethiopean cuisine as well as eating food sans utinsels. Naan and Curry has some decent curries with freshly baked naan. Intermezzo has good salads and sandwiches, but I wish they would hold the attitude. Anne's has the big, greasy cheap eggs and potatoes breakfast for your Sunday hangovers. Raleighs has a good pub burger; I usually get the fajitas and a pitcher in the back (spicy fries are good too).

A word about Thai restaurants in Berkeley. If you haven't noticed, there's about 40 of them, mostly lining University Ave. Plearn is the marquee joint, but a lesser known hole in the wall is Bangkok on University between Sacramento and Acton. Many of the others are hit and miss (try a few, you might get addicted). Same with the Indian food, though I find more misses than hits. Breads of India is not a miss though.

Plearn is a good first date place, as is Venezia -- pretty good contemporary Italian.

Cafe Tibet is also a cozy date place. I don't really care for Tibetan food, but you should at least try it once.

Bette's Diner on 4th is great for breakfast and brunch.

Cancun is the preferred burrito joint. They specialize in seafood fillings, but nobody would fault you for getting the steak. I like the grill at Sombrereo as well. Gordo taqueria sucks and should be avoided at either the College or Solano locations.

Party Sushi and California Sushi are your neighborhood sushi places. Don't bother with that sushi boats place on Shattuck or with Isobune on College. Kirala is some of the best sushi in the Bay Area and the robata grill isn't bad either. They have some unqiue dishes at lunch you won't find many places outside of Japan. It's expensive and wait times are long though.

The Mini-Le Cheval on Bancroft by the Art Museum has some quick and cheap Vietnamese.

Saul's has New York Jewish deli-like food.

The Ghanian food place on University is also pretty interesting.

There is only on fast food chain in Berkeley. It's called McDonald's. Burger King, Taco Bell, and KFC were all run out of town.

When you're older you'll learn about Liaison, Cesar, Cafe La Paz, La Coco's, Rivoli, Ajanta, Cafe Rouge, Chez Panisse. Chez Panisse is actually one of the 10 best restaurants in the world. Phone reservations are made by redialing 50 times from 9 AM to 9:06 AM on the day 30 days prior to the night you want. Be prepared to spend $100 a person for food and wine.

Barney's has 3 locations around Berkeley and an amazing menu of gourmet burgers. Don't forget the fries. Their shakes are rockin' too.

If you ignore everthing I just wrote, fine. But DO NOT IGNORE THIS. Zachary's Pizza is the BEST deep dish pizza you will ever have. I've been to Giordano's in Chicago, and though it's similar, it's not quite as good. Get a bunch of people together some Friday or Satuday night, head to the College Ave location, and be prepared to wait an hour. It's worth it. Trust me, you'll impress the hell out of your dormmates if you're the first one to introduce them to this place.

Mackerel, the Thief
Sep 24, 2003

I live a few blocks from Zachary's :)

It's awesome pizza, but I really recommend you don't make it a date place, as you will spend way too much time trying to find parking and way too much time waiting around for a seat. The place isn't just packed on Friday and Saturday... its pretty much packed most nights and sometimes during the day.

If you're looking for a date place on College, A'Cote, Citron, and Filippo's are all good choices, but stay away from Garibaldi's, Pasta Pomodoro, and Khana Peena (I live next door to them; they have terrible service, but they have 9.99 all you can eat lunch buffet that's pretty cool). Isobune is kinda cute, but it fades quickly after some fat slob comes in and starts grabbing random poo poo off the boats. Its great if you're really hungry, as you don't have to wait for food. You just come in and grab some stuff off the boats.

If you're looking for a good burrito, Burrito Shop on College (they have a few other locations) is kickass. Looks expensive for a burrito, but you won't finish it.

The Dreyer's on College really isn't worth it, since you can just pop over to Gelateria Naia on Shattuck (in Berkeley, by the intersection of Center St.). Gelateria Naia kicks rear end.

Raleigh's Pub (Telegraph in Berkeley, by UC Campus) didn't impress me much. But there's a place next door that sells some of the best bread I've ever had. You can go in and buy a loaf of it on most weekdays for $2-4.

upstartcrow
Dec 14, 2002

Runs with scissors

Earwicker posted:

Most of Oakland is safer at night than San Francisco and many other parts of the Bay Area. It's a great, mellow city. You aren't really likely to encounter violence in Oakland unless you are part of a gang or are in the drug dealing business. You're more likely to get assaulted at random in parts of SF or even some other Peninsula and East Bay towns.

Yeah, but a cousin of mine was held up twice downtown there, and once was almost forced into the trunk of his car during a car-jacking, but someone came along and stopped it, thank God. Still, that's twice

There are parts of Oakland that are nice; the parts closer to the hills than the Bay. That's where the money is (i.e., the Oakland Hills). Still, I would live in San Francisco anywhere (except the Tenderloin) and East Palo Alto before I'd live anywhere in Oakland.

upstartcrow
Dec 14, 2002

Runs with scissors

qirex posted:

Big Nate's kind of sucks. At least the BBQ does. The cornbread and beans are good.
What about Izzy's? There's one in the City somewhere and one in San Carlos just off 101. It's a steak and chop house, but they have barbecued ribs, I think. Plus, their business is big old tons of meat, so they have to do good barbecue, right?

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

upstartcrow posted:

What about Izzy's? There's one in the City somewhere and one in San Carlos just off 101. It's a steak and chop house, but they have barbecued ribs, I think. Plus, their business is big old tons of meat, so they have to do good barbecue, right?

The Izzy's in San Carlos is a bit fancy. It's expensive, but it's good. However, it's too formal and pricey for my tastes.

It's ghetto, but the ribs BBQ in E. Palo Alto is pretty good. It's on the corner of Donohoe and University behind the mexican market. :ese: It's like the typical ghetto southern california BBQ

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
I have to recommend Magnolia Pub on Haight for any beer lovers out there. They have 2.50 Tuesday every week, where all of their incredibly delicious microbrews are $2.50 a pint. The food is a bit expensive, but very tastey (some of the best onion rings I've ever had).

Try the Proving Ground IPA for one of the most unique beers I've ever had. Their beer menu is a great read too, as they explain all of the different terms (original gravity, bitterness to gravity ratio, etc), and then give you the stats for each of their beers.

Here's a link to their beer menu (although the actual menu varies from night to night):
http://www.magnoliapub.com/beer/ales.html

Papercut fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 27, 2005

radioactivelego
Jun 1, 2004

only in the CPT
What is the general mood about the handgun ban that is up to vote in November? Any crazy commercials for or against it?

upstartcrow
Dec 14, 2002

Runs with scissors
And because I haven't posted enough in this thread today, here's the stuff I'd recommend to do in SF:

(A note, in case you haven't been here before and/or heard or read this anywhere yet: layers. You must wear layers. Swear to God, that's the only way to get around in the Bay Area. We are Microclimate Central out here: just because it's foggy and soupy at one place doesn't mean it won't be a partly cloudy and windy 70 degrees five miles away and 80 degrees and blazing 10 miles away.)

Alcatraz (obvious but very cool, although touristy)
Hyde Street Pier (if you're into Maritime history, also touristy)
The Plough and Stars pub on Clement & Second (local and very Irish; music is AWESOME)
Home (a restaurant) on Castro (it's upscale and fabulous comfort food. The pot roast and mashed potatoes are to DIE FOR.)
Green Apple Books on Clement (best used bookstore in the City)
Walk up and down Columbus Ave. in North Beach. It's the "Italian District" in the City, and the walk is worth it for the smell of garlic alone. People-watching is fabulous here too.
For any sewing goons, a visit to Britex off Union Square is a MUST.
Ti Couz on 16th for crepes. It's authentic Breton French cuisine.
The newly renovated De Young Museum in Golden Gate Park. It's been closed for five years, and it just reopened a week ago. Rumored to be beyond fabulous. Crowds will be a nightmare for another month or two, but if you're a museum goon, it'll be worth it.
Lunch anywhere in West Portal (a little neighborhood in the western end; yuppies everywhere, though, so beware of monster SUVs, the UN of au pairs, and soccer moms on a mission.)
Pac Bell Park. Yeah, baseball season is over, and God knows whether Barry Bonds will play for the Giants or anybody else again, but the park is so gorgeous, even on the outside. I love the statue of Willie Mays out front.
If you can see a show at the Curran and you're into old-fashioned theaters, by all means go for it. The Curran is home to the American Conservatory Theater (where Denzel Washington, Annette Bening, and Benjamin Bratt trained up), and it's gorgeous. It's also coming up on Ballet season, and I think the opera is going on now already. Half-price tickets are usually available (or standing-room-only tickets) for most performances.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

radioactivelego posted:

What is the general mood about the handgun ban that is up to vote in November? Any crazy commercials for or against it?

It's basically Chris Daly being an rear end. I haven't seen any commercials about it but I don't watch TV. It's pure idiocy, frankly.

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.
'sup Bay Area goons.

I live further down the coast in Aptos (south of Santa Cruz for those non-Bay Area people), but make it up to the city during baseball season and occasional family who visits and wants to see The City.

If you plan on visiting SF sometime soon, don't come in the summer. It's foggy/cold as gently caress/loaded with tourists. Try and come in April/May or September/October (our summer months). You'll get to see and do a LOT more. Still, make advance reservations for Alcatraz, that island is ALWAYS crowded.

Bay Area Goons: We need to have some sort of get-together.

Astronomy Domine
Dec 20, 2004

trilljester posted:

'sup Bay Area goons.

Bay Area Goons: We need to have some sort of get-together.

They do have regular get-togethers. Check the Goon Meet forum. I'm down, but it's just never fallen on a day I could make it.

Kapser
Jul 13, 2004
Figured since I just arrvived today, I should post in this thread.

I'm staying on Market and 8th, and I am here until Friday.

When I was walking around checking out the area, I noticed at of porno theatres and I made a wrong turn and walked down a street that reminded me of Kosovo and alot of people openly smoking rock

Astronomy Domine
Dec 20, 2004

Kapser posted:

Figured since I just arrvived today, I should post in this thread.

I'm staying on Market and 8th
You picked possibly one of the worst neighborhoods in the City. Is there a chance you can move?

Hunterprime
Mar 22, 2005

Fixing networks and making games
I don't know if wany has any question about the area right above San Francisco, but I can answer any questions about Marin county. Most people south of us have no idea where the gently caress we are.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

Hunterprime posted:

I don't know if wany has any question about the area right above San Francisco, but I can answer any questions about Marin county. Most people south of us have no idea where the gently caress we are.
That's where I'm at now. We're staying in San Rafael for a while and recording in Sausalito so I don't really know where/what poo poo is around here. I'm so so so sick of fast food but anything that ISN'T fast food is expensive. There anything good around here that's cheap?

Also, what's cool around here to check out / do up in the North? I have no qualms about going into the city other than your guys' lovely rear end parking. :D Though halloween was creepy - I actually found somewhere to park for free within 5 minutes. I was shocked, SHOCKED I tell you!

sponsz
Aug 28, 2005

By the whiskers of Kurvi-Tasch!
Also, what people have to realize is that you're not going to get the best Mexican food anywhere other than Oakland. You may have to search, but the trucks on Fruitvale are delicious. Cheap, too. Also, what exactly is the definition of "Bay Area"? I've lived in Oakland all my life, and I wouldn't consider Santa Cruz to be part of the Bay Area, much less anything south of it.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -
That's fine... I think i'm the only person in california that hates mexican food.

edit: :ese:

Duke Chin fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Nov 6, 2005

nugget of poo
Dec 26, 2003

I used to live in Mill Valley, in Marin, but I left in 1998. How has the area changed since?

Kobalt
Mar 19, 2003

Sebastian posted:

I used to live in Mill Valley, in Marin, but I left in 1998. How has the area changed since?

I don't believe much. Except for some new housing developments, north bay is pretty stagnant.

Kapser
Jul 13, 2004

Astronomy Domine posted:

You picked possibly one of the worst neighborhoods in the City. Is there a chance you can move?

The room was the cheapest I could find at 100 bucks a night. Everything else was over 200...

But that doesn't matter anymore because I am back in New York, and I think San Francisco is the defination of "It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

- FUCK THE HABS -

Kapser posted:

and I think San Francisco is the defination of "It's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there"
Oddly enough that's how I feel about Portland OR.

• Locked thread