Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
jbltk
Jun 12, 2005

by Lowtax
But wasn't Alex released after being treated with/suffering the Ludivico technique?

You lie, six double five three two one. Tell me, are you now, or have you ever been, a homosexual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jbltk
Jun 12, 2005

by Lowtax
I'm gonna buck the trend and say don't write a screenplay. This story is perfect for a short story medium, but not as a movie. This isn't enough of a story to stand alone as a movie, and they would simply hack it up and make it something barely resembling the truth and slap on a "based on a true story" label.

It's right where it belongs on SA.

jbltk
Jun 12, 2005

by Lowtax

Number 655321 posted:

THIS
https://bobbarker.com/webguest/bGuestBigimage.asp?id=BBST40

gently caress you loving bob loving fuckface barker. gently caress you for your smug little name on my shorty toothbrush every god damned morning in county jail. gently caress YOU for your soap and leg irons.

gently caress YOU bob motherfucking hitler barker.

Oh. My. loving. God.

You just blew my mind to smithereens.

I was put in a residential placement when I was 14, which is essentially a rather large facility for out of control kids (Vista Del Mar in Los Angeles, for anyone who might know or care). It's similar to prison in many ways with regards to the structure it provided (which I desperately needed), but there was little need to fear violence from other kids, nor were you locked in. I remember that when I first got there, we got "Bob Barker" tooth brushes and I, for whatever reason, assumed these were donated toothbrushes with the gameshow host's name on them. I never gave it a second thought nor realized it was his company that sold them.

jbltk fucked around with this message at 11:06 on Dec 11, 2005

jbltk
Jun 12, 2005

by Lowtax

numeric_atrophy posted:

I'll have to disagree with whoever said that there was not enough material to make a movie. It's pretty insulting (though unintentional, and not taken as that way) to tell anyone that they couldn't take the higlights from four years of their life and fill 120 minutes of screen time. It may be true in a lot of people's lives, but not 655321's. We didn't even hear everything.

I said that because, while entertaining with narration and intimate detail from 655321, it wouldn't transfer well to a movie. You know how most times the book is better than the movie? It's because there are details and thoughts not conveyed in the movie. The best parts of this story and post would be stripped away in a movie based upon it and lose its value.

jbltk
Jun 12, 2005

by Lowtax

jiggaman0204 posted:

Amazing, amazing, amazing, amazing. Thank you so much for sharing this with us. Truly one of GBS' alltime entertaining and informational threads.

Yeah, gently caress PBS. We've got GBS. All the edutainment you can eat for $9.95.

jbltk
Jun 12, 2005

by Lowtax

Number 655321 posted:

I've really been thinking about the Prison survival guide. What do you honestly think about that? My dad says its a brilliant idea, and I really respect my dad's business mind. He says it would be great in the format of those little yellow books (I think he's talking about those yellow "Survival" guides (How to survive being attacked by an aligatior/plane crash/etc, not necessarily a dummies guide to prison, although that would be amusing as well),). I'll entertain serious offers from writers with publishing connections who want to help me with this, if you really think its a good idea.

I think it'd be a great idea to pitch to the "for Dummies" series.

"Avoiding Prison Gang Rape for Dummies"

"Being a White Boy in a Prison Dominated by Hate-Filled Minorities for Dummies"

"The Andy Dufresne Method for Dummies"

"How to Avoid Communication Failures on a Chain Gang for Dummies"

jbltk
Jun 12, 2005

by Lowtax

phadedout posted:

And we have a winner!

I do my best.

+

( x 75)

=

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jbltk
Jun 12, 2005

by Lowtax

Nthman posted:

My buddy was in the pen for about 18 months for not paying his parking tickets (hes a retard)....

He was able to get cable TV and a playstation 2 in his cell. It was a maximum security prison too unless im mistaken (Utah State Prison).

That doesn't make any sense. 18 months is an awfully long time for unpaid parking tickets, not to mention that it hardly warrants maximum security without other charges or reasons (trying to escape, perhaps?). Also, in max (as I'm sure 655321 will tell you), televisions and radios don't have normal cases. They're clear so you see the insides and easily verify they're not being used to store contriband or weapons. The same thing would apply to a Playstation, and I've never seen a clear Playstation before, nor would I imagine any company would go to the trouble to produce them at relatively low amounts specifically for prisons.

Either he lied to you about a whole bunch of poo poo, or you're confused as all hell.