Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
haulinass
May 19, 2004
Soon to be world famous BBQ team
Do you any of you know how to build a magarita machine? I have searched the web and found a couple of plans but they are all way to big. Just looking for to build a small one.

Thanks for your answers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubber
Sep 11, 2001
HORRIBLE POSTER, SELF-OBSESSED POSTER.
What is a margarita machine? A blender or a slurpee dispenser?

MariusMS
Jan 26, 2006

Who's laughing now?
Clapping Larry
As soon as I'm done with my blueprints for a homemade garbage disposal I will do what I can to assist you.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.
Go to Target, buy an ice crusher.

Get a sharpie, and in neat print, write "MARGARITA TIME MACHINE" on the side of it.

..you are done.

Stuntcock
Oct 15, 2000

Annoyed, but NOT DEAD
You're just silly.

A 'Margarita Machine?'

Plus, why would you want a Margarita Machine...

WHEN IT'S MARTINI TIME!?!??!?!

2FingersToGlory
Apr 7, 2004

I've built probably 10-12 dozen of these machines in my day so I can field any of your questions. If you're looking for blue prints, I've never drawn any. I know some of the new-jack magarita machine enthusiests like to plan everything out before hand, but if you ask an old timer like myself you need to just start building. If you have an old juke box that would be a good place to start.

And also try not to turn this thread into an old school vs. new school magarita machine building style argument like all the other threads.

edit: Here's a picture of one of my most recent rigs. She runs at about 8 mpm, which is pretty good considering it's built from an old drill press and a transistor radio.

2FingersToGlory fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 12, 2006

Narcissus
Oct 11, 2004
Dirty Old Man

2FingersToGlory posted:

8 mpm

Margaritas per minute?

2FingersToGlory
Apr 7, 2004

Narcissus posted:

Margaritas per minute?

Yeah, thats right. She was only pulling 6 until I took the safety cover off. Increases the airflow.

VERTICAL WIPE!
Jul 18, 2003
I'm weird...so forgive me

2FingersToGlory posted:

I've built probably 10-12 dozen of these machines in my day so I can field any of your questions. If you're looking for blue prints, I've never drawn any. I know some of the new-jack magarita machine enthusiests like to plan everything out before hand, but if you ask an old timer like myself you need to just start building. If you have an old juke box that would be a good place to start.

And also try not to turn this thread into an old school vs. new school magarita machine building style argument like all the other threads.

edit: Here's a picture of one of my most recent rigs. She runs at about 8 mpm, which is pretty good considering it's built from an old drill press and a transistor radio.

That's a pretty nice setup you got there. Looks like you opted for the Johnston seal grip. I've heard good things, how's it working for ya?

Ghent
Mar 26, 2004

2FingersToGlory posted:

Yeah, thats right. She was only pulling 6 until I took the safety cover off. Increases the airflow.

I know you said you don't want this thread to degenerate into flamewars, but I'm really curious to know if you think one OS is better than another for running a margarita machine. Please keep in mind that I'm not a comp sci major so I don't have all day to figure out how to recompile drivers.

Thanks!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

2FingersToGlory posted:

You may want to put that safety cover back on, but put a vent in it with a fan like a computer case. My cousin had nearly the same set up, he took off the cover for more speed, and the last batch of margaritas tasted like cat hair. We cant find his cat anywhere.

2FingersToGlory
Apr 7, 2004

sam12284 posted:

That's a pretty nice setup you got there. Looks like you opted for the Johnston seal grip. I've heard good things, how's it working for ya?

Nice call on the Johnston seal grip, I wasn't sure anyone would notice. I think it works pretty drat good. I was going with mostly the O'Rielly Grabmaster, but after one of those fuckers cracked on me while I was pressing a Southern Double for the wife I stopped using them. Serves me right for using something made by the Dutch...

Spermy Smurf posted:

You may want to put that safety cover back on, but put a vent in it with a fan like a computer case. My cousin had nearly the same set up, he took off the cover for more speed, and the last batch of margaritas tasted like cat hair. We cant find his cat anywhere.

I don't see why those two completely unrelated events would have any bearing on how I make a Margarita machine. And do you honestly think you're going to get the same airflow with a measley vent in the back?

2FingersToGlory fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Feb 12, 2006

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Stuntcock posted:

You're just silly.

A 'Margarita Machine?'

Plus, why would you want a Margarita Machine...

WHEN IT'S MARTINI TIME!?!??!?!

Mar...TINI time! What an obscure reference. It's why I love you, SC.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
All joking aside, this thread reminded me that I have both tequila and margarita mix left over. Booyah!

I prefer the analogue method, myself. Digital it too slushy.

Stuntcock
Oct 15, 2000

Annoyed, but NOT DEAD

Squiggle posted:

Mar...TINI time! What an obscure reference. It's why I love you, SC.
Even Mike Ness thinks so!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Ghent posted:

I know you said you don't want this thread to degenerate into flamewars, but I'm really curious to know if you think one OS is better than another for running a margarita machine. Please keep in mind that I'm not a comp sci major so I don't have all day to figure out how to recompile drivers.

Thanks!

Linux, clearly. Nothing like a BSOD to bring a party to a screeching halt. :v:

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005
What the hell is Tequila mix?

2FingersToGlory
Apr 7, 2004

Tequila Ranger posted:

Linux, clearly. Nothing like a BSOD to bring a party to a screeching halt. :v:

Well the sad reality of that my friend is that a lot of these younger margarita machine hobbyists would agree with you. Like a god drat computer machine can solve all the complexities of making a good Marg.

Anyway, here's a picture of me tuning one of my first rigs.

'82 was a good year for mixed drinks.

OldCharlie
Jan 1, 2001

2FingersToGlory posted:

Well the sad reality of that my friend is that a lot of these younger margarita machine hobbyists would agree with you. Like a god drat computer machine can solve all the complexities of making a good Marg.

Very nice. What do you use for power? I'm guessing it can't run off an outlet, I'm thinking maybe a multiple 220 line, or perhaps a generator stored in a seperate room?

2FingersToGlory
Apr 7, 2004

OldCharlie posted:

Very nice. What do you use for power? I'm guessing it can't run off an outlet, I'm thinking maybe a multiple 220 line, or perhaps a generator stored in a seperate room?

You guessed it friend, a multiple 220 line, otherwise known as the margarita makers best friend. You burn down enough barns and you learn not to mess around. I've heard there's some people out on the west coast using only DC current in their rigs and although I would have to see it to believe it, its that kind of innovation and free spirited american ingenuity that makes me fall in love with margarita machining again and again.

Ghent
Mar 26, 2004

2FingersToGlory posted:

Okay, I've really tried hard not to troll you in this thread but where do you get off treating people like their opinions are worthless just because they're "young"? I'm looking at that picture you just posted and I'm guessing you've got a cooling cycle of at least 20 minutes. And, shocker of the century, I'm guessing you're not factoring in that 20 minutes when you calculate your MPM. Solid math there, buddy. :rolleyes:

DIY is one thing but if people like you were running the commercial margarita making industry we'd still be seeing the same benchmarks that Jonah Tinakin got back in '87. There's a reason that every machine Jonah puts his name on runs on PocketPC.

mammajamma
Oct 14, 2000
Yeah. Well. Whatever. You can't teach God anything.

2FingersToGlory posted:

Holy poo poo, is that one of the classic Heidelberg rotaries? Those things are so overvalued these days because of their collector status- one of the bars down here actually sells H-berg mixed 'ritas for like ten bucks to the young scenesters. Did yours have the calibrator window with the Zeiss eyepiece, or was it one of those wonky Russian copies?

OldCharlie
Jan 1, 2001

2FingersToGlory posted:

You guessed it friend, a multiple 220 line, otherwise known as the margarita makers best friend. You burn down enough barns and you learn not to mess around. I've heard there's some people out on the west coast using only DC current in their rigs and although I would have to see it to believe it, its that kind of innovation and free spirited american ingenuity that makes me fall in love with margarita machining again and again.

DC current only? That's just crazy, with a rig like that you'd blow half your rotors in under 30 minutes using DC. (assuming you're running at full cap, of course) I guess though if you only used your margarita machine at half cap for twice duration you would spare wear and tear on your rotors, but why would you do that?

Maybe they are using those new titanium-alloy rotors from guatamala I keep reading about in "Margarita Monthly".

2FingersToGlory
Apr 7, 2004

Ghent posted:

Okay, I've really tried hard not to troll you in this thread but where do you get off treating people like their opinions are worthless just because they're "young"? I'm looking at that picture you just posted and I'm guessing you've got a cooling cycle of at least 20 minutes. And, shocker of the century, I'm guessing you're not factoring in that 20 minutes when you calculate your MPM. Solid math there, buddy. :rolleyes:

DIY is one thing but if people like you were running the commercial margarita making industry we'd still be seeing the same benchmarks that Jonah Tinakin got back in '87. There's a reason that every machine Jonah puts his name on runs on PocketPC.

Alright, I'll concede that that rig did have an extended cooling period and if you factored it in it would probably only be around .5 MPM, but is that really what it's all about? People like you who wave their MPM around like it was a gold medal in the olympics or something give the rest of us who care about good smooth flavor a bad name.

And I'm not even going to get into the age old argument about Tinakin with you, we might as well be arguing inline seals vs. gasket caps in the cooling manifold!

mammajamma posted:

Holy poo poo, is that one of the classic Heidelberg rotaries? Those things are so overvalued these days because of their collector status- one of the bars down here actually sells H-berg mixed 'ritas for like ten bucks to the young scenesters. Did yours have the calibrator window with the Zeiss eyepiece, or was it one of those wonky Russian copies?

Ha, you better believe it had the Zeiss eyepiece! I also put brass pulleys on the main drive belt, I know they tell you all the time not to use brass pulleys, no matter how good you think it looks they just don't have the tensile strength, but for my money, they extra style = bolder taste. I've also got the shrapnel wounds to show for that opinion.

2FingersToGlory fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Feb 12, 2006

Backdoor Bambi
Nov 17, 2003

WHY HELLO THERE!

OldCharlie posted:

DC current only? That's just crazy, with a rig like that you'd blow half your rotors in under 30 minutes using DC. (assuming you're running at full cap, of course) I guess though if you only used your margarita machine at half cap for twice duration you would spare wear and tear on your rotors, but why would you do that?

Maybe they are using those new titanium-alloy rotors from guatamala I keep reading about in "Margarita Monthly".

Im not inclined to build these sorts of things and I have no idea what you people are talking about really, but how much to just buy one of these small ones off of one of you nice margarita mechanics ? I likes me some margaritas, but...I'd probably end up killing myself if I tried to make a margarita machine. :downs:

peengers
Jun 6, 2003

toot toot

Stuntcock posted:

Even Mike Ness thinks so!

OldCharlie
Jan 1, 2001

Arcadia posted:

Im not inclined to build these sorts of things and I have no idea what you people are talking about really, but how much to just buy one of these small ones off of one of you nice margarita mechanics ? I likes me some margaritas, but...I'd probably end up killing myself if I tried to make a margarita machine. :downs:

Boy, I learned how to build a SMALL Margarita machine when I was 8. MAYBE I still have it in storage though. I guess I could look for it, but selling even that would would be like giving away one of my children.

And besides, the thing only has 6 burished aluminum cogs around the main flowthrough, who would want that?

EDIT: VVVVVVV never heard of it vvvvvvvvvv

OldCharlie fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Feb 12, 2006

Byrum
Jan 2, 2005

it never got weird enough for me
I made margaritas once. I just used a blender.

Jack B. Nimble
Feb 23, 2004
Candlestick!

Arcadia posted:

how much to just buy one of these small ones off of one of you nice margarita mechanics ?

I'd hate to use an old, tired phrase, but if you have to ask, you can't afford it. There's a reason why you don't see a margarita machine in everyone's kitchen.

OldCharlie
Jan 1, 2001

Jack B. Nimble posted:

I'd hate to use an old, tired phrase, but if you have to ask, you can't afford it. There's a reason why you don't see a margarita machine in everyone's garage.

Well that and usually the exhaust ports extend to far vertically and you'd have to cut a hole in the roof.

I use the "Margarita Shed 1x-43" from a steel building manufacturer in Hong Kong.

Backdoor Bambi
Nov 17, 2003

WHY HELLO THERE!

OldCharlie posted:

And besides, the thing only has 6 burished aluminum cogs around the main flowthrough, who would want that?

I dont even know what that means^^ I don't want to tear out a peice of your heart though. I've had to switch to vodka based drinks since I can find no acceptable margaritas 'round these here parts :( And no margaritas is better than lovely ones.

Edited to add: I may or may not be able to afford it right now, but I imagine I could set a goal for myself if it seemed worth it :P and I was only wondering, no harm there.

Backdoor Bambi fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Feb 12, 2006

2FingersToGlory
Apr 7, 2004

OldCharlie posted:

I thought the exact same thing the first time I heard that they were actually considering using DC. I mean yeah, we've all thought about going down that road, but it's just not feasible. And I would assume that they were using the titanimum rotors, you would have to be a fool not to with that power to torque ratio!

And when you're talking about running at half cap there are actually a surprising number of people out there doing it. It's popular with the younger generation of pompus know it alls like Ghent who build a Margamachine out of an erector set and think they know everything there is to know.

OldCharlie
Jan 1, 2001

Arcadia posted:

I dont even know what that means^^ I don't want to tear out a peice of your heart though. I've had to switch to vodka based drinks since I can find no acceptable margaritas 'round these here parts :( And no margaritas is better than lovely ones.

It's real simple. Once you've connected the fluid intake recepticles to the condensation module, you need a flowthrough to shunt the homogeneous mixture through the output. To handle the pressure variables you need a flexive alloy, usually durable. But in that case I used aluminum, which everybody knows has a low flexitive strength and will eventually give.

Toastmaker
Jul 12, 2004

crazy as a fish with titties
Sorry to kill the mood in this thread, but what would you guys recommend for a marg-machine newbie's first rig?

OldCharlie
Jan 1, 2001

2FingersToGlory posted:

I thought the exact same thing the first time I heard that they were actually considering using DC. I mean yeah, we've all thought about going down that road, but it's just not feasible. And I would assume that they were using the titanimum rotors, you would have to be a fool not to with that power to torque ratio!

And when you're talking about running at half cap there are actually a surprising number of people out there doing it. It's popular with the younger generation of pompus know it alls like Ghent who build a Margamachine out of an erector set and think they know everything there is to know.

I've read Ghent's work and while he seems technically adept, espicially his later works with Albers and Tomlinson. But once he was out of those two greats influence, he seemed to just want to produce quick and flashy models.

I heard he made a 'Rita Machine for the Sultan of Brunei that weighed in under 1200lbs! Ahahaha imagine that!

OldCharlie
Jan 1, 2001

Toastmaker posted:

Sorry to kill the mood in this thread, but what would you guys recommend for a marg-machine newbie's first rig?

That's a toughy. The Reiberg 100k specs are fairly cheap, and technically simplified for the newcomers to the field, I guess I would recommend that.

2Fingers,, what do you think?

2FingersToGlory
Apr 7, 2004

OldCharlie posted:

It's real simple. Once you've connected the fluid intake recepticles to the condensation module, you need a flowthrough to shunt the homogeneous mixture through the output. To handle the pressure variables you need a flexive alloy, usually durable. But in that case I used aluminum, which everybody knows has a low flexitive strength and will eventually give.

You should seriously consider writing a letter to the editor of Margarita Monthly about aluminum cogs on the main flowthrough and just how bad of an idea it is. Hell, even aluminum cogs on the secondary flowthrough or going back into the dispersal chamber, assuming the rig has one ain't exactly a good idea, and I see kids doing it all the time!

Stuntcock
Oct 15, 2000

Annoyed, but NOT DEAD
(1) Get white van, black outfit.
(2) Kidnap.
(3) Teach how to make Margaritas.
(4) Teach limited English (optional)
(5) Learn the phase 'Macht Schnell.'
(6) Stock bar.
(7) Dispense.
(8) Maintenance 1 : Stock bar nightly.
(9) Maintenance 2 : Rub the lotion on its skin.

2FingersToGlory
Apr 7, 2004

OldCharlie posted:

That's a toughy. The Reiberg 100k specs are fairly cheap, and technically simplified for the newcomers to the field, I guess I would recommend that.

2Fingers,, what do you think?

The Reiberg 100k is definately a beginers machine, simple yet practical. But if you're up for a bit of a challenge I would consider going for a Helmholtz 30-30. Either way you're going to be drinking in style :).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldCharlie
Jan 1, 2001

2FingersToGlory posted:

You should seriously consider writing a letter to the editor of Margarita Monthly about aluminum cogs on the main flowthrough and just how bad of an idea it is. Hell, even aluminum cogs on the secondary flowthrough or going back into the dispersal chamber, assuming the rig has one ain't exactly a good idea, and I see kids doing it all the time!

I have too, friend. The young kids are cutting corners like mad, eliminating safety features, and all manner of hazardous design.

I mean, if they have a blowout even on a secondary flowthrough, without a regulator in place, it's going to produce enough blowback to crack the main chassis, and then you might as well just pitch the hole thing in the smelter and start over.