Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
Directed by: Michel Gondry
Starring: Dave Chappelle, Kanye West, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, The Fugees, The Roots

Well, let me just preface this by saying that if you don't like Dave Chappelle or the musical acts, it's almost a sure thing that you won't enjoy this movie. I wouldn't even classify it as a movie (as seen in the genre I picked) - it really is more of a "behind the scenes"/"making of" type documentary, with plenty of interviews with participating musical acts. There's a fair bit of Dave being himself and funny, which is hardly ever a bad thing.

Along with the simple musical premise we get to see Dave going through his home town of Dayton, Ohio, and interacting with the people he lived with there. I'm really surprised at the amount of older people (mostly women) he got to go along with him on a multi-state bus ride. There's also the recruitment of the band seen in the trailers. In New York, there's segments on how they set up the location for the concert and shooting which includes some interesting and touching asides where Dave meets various people from the neighborhood - all, of course, infused with general Chappelle humor.

The movie/documentary also has a fairly heavy political undercurrent to it, which is to be expected when you have such vocal members of the hip hop community and a man with Chappelle's stated opinions together in one place. Some people around me were making grunts and groans in the theater when they began calling for the release of political prisoners, including Mumia (I'm from Philly, so I guess that was to be expected). However, this is in no way the main focus of the movie, and whether you agree or not with their statements I think you'll still find it enjoyable. (Edit: it inspired me to change my avatar :))

RATING: 4.5 Edit: on a second viewing, I am raising my rating because it's just so great.

PROS: Funny, awesome musical acts
CONS: Could have done with more Dave, just because I love the bastard, maybe a bit political for some people

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: https://www.chappellesblockparty.com/

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

indigi fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Mar 7, 2006

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
All-around great, very enjoyable and fun. 5

ColonelCorn
Aug 18, 2003
Most hip hop junkies will love the music acts, even if they have heard the songs a million times like myself. I Absolutely loved it. Saw about 10 people walk out because they thought it was going to be more Chapelle oriented. <3 Lauryn Hill.

dinozaur
Aug 26, 2003
STUPID
DICK

ColonelCorn posted:

Most hip hop junkies will love the music acts, even if they have heard the songs a million times like myself. I Absolutely loved it. Saw about 10 people walk out because they thought it was going to be more Chapelle oriented. <3 Lauryn Hill.

Consider yourself lucky that the people who don't like hiphop didn't stick around and just yell "I'M RICK JAMES, BITCH!" every 2 minutes. Amazing movie though, just the right mix of music, funny, and social statement.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.
Someone else took me to this, so I didn't know anything about it before going in. It's about 20% comedy, 10% documentary, and 70% rap/hip hop concert. So if you don't like the musical acts described in the original post, you aren't going to like the movie.

josefretarded
Sep 29, 2004

gay gay gay retarded gay
I'm going to take a slightly different tack than some others. I'd say that if you've never listened to hip-hop all that much, and are curious to find out what it's all about, this movie might be a good way to start getting into it. You've got alot of great artists who have got a bit more substance to them than alot of those "rap music-videos" people are always feeling nervous about. If Dave's white gramdmother neighbors can enjoy themselves, I'd say anyone could (except for white supremicists).

Also, this movies reveals a few more layers of Chapelle that he hasn't quite put out there before. At one point, he says "All mucisians want to be comedians, and all comedians want to be mucisians...Me, I'm mediocre at both, and have talked my way into a fortune." Man's got brains :eng101:

Dogfood
Feb 15, 2004

Part of every balanced meal.
Hated it, walked out.

I really should have gathered more information about this movie before going to see it. It was mentioned previously that if you dont like the acts or the whole "behind the scenes" thing of what goes on at an impromptu rap concert on a dirty street you won't enjoy this and that is true.

The whole thing that made me mad was the opportunities for comedy that were missed, you feel like any second Dave will just crack up and go on a roll but he never does.

RATING: 1.5

Pros: Dave Chappelle trying on pimp outfits
Cons: Brief to non-existant laughs, heavy on the musical acts.

turtles mostly
Dec 31, 2005

by Fistgrrl

PrincessKate posted:

Someone else took me to this, so I didn't know anything about it before going in. It's about 20% comedy, 10% documentary, and 70% rap/hip hop concert. So if you don't like the musical acts described in the original post, you aren't going to like the movie.

Gotta disagree, it was more like 1% comedy (almost entirely incidental, you'd probably see the same amount in any "making of"), 19% documentary, and 80% concert.

Tatiana
Jan 29, 2001
Forum Veteran
I pretty much hate this kind of music, but the energy was so genuine I really couldnt help clapping, bopping my head and having a great time.

It really takes on a different energy live :)

And Lauren Hill kind of dissapointed me, the whole fugee part was a notch below all the other acts, I was absolutely blown away by Jill scott (have you seen me perform?)

4.5/5 had an awsome time

acksplode
May 17, 2004

I loved this movie. I feel bad for anyone that was going in expecting a Dave Chappelle comedy, but I think that what we have here is much better than that. The concert experience was energetic and fun on its own, but seeing what went on behind the scenes and during the leadup to the show added a more personal touch to the proceedings. Everyone in this movie was having a great time and it was easy to have fun with them. Great hip hop acts, warm personalities, and people enjoying themselves.

5/5, this movie is like concentrated positivity.

briercan
Nov 1, 2005
Ray From Rehoboth
That one clip of Lauren Hill singing made up for the entire unplugged album. The back and forth between Mos on the drums and Chappelle was pretty funny too. Also Jill Scott with Badu on "You Got Me" was really really killer. Kool Herc on stage with Common and Badu too!
All right I've got to stop before I pass out from all the awesomeness.
4.5/5

Putin It In Mah ASS
Nov 12, 2003

Omni-gel superlube is great stuff!
Chiming in on the "not really a movie" vibe, but that's not to knock the film. I think the making of this film (and the concert itself, of course) makes a lot of sense if you consider the state of mind Chapelle was supposedly in when we walked off of Chappelle's Show (correct me on the timeline, but this was a bit before work started on the aborted season 3?).

It seems like it was a chance for Chappelle to use his success to work with people he has admired all his life and to send a message he rarely gets to express. While that message probably came out better at the live concert, the sentiment was still clearly conveyed in a very touching manner that underlines the underpinnings of some acts that have more intellectual substances to them than most hip hop.

It was also pretty interesting to hear some of Chapelle's thoughts on comedy and music, as well as some practice sessions that were practically classroom lectures on comedic timing. That alone was just hilarious.

Rated 4/5

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
I really enjoyed watching this film.

I don't really know where people get the idea that this is a movie or a comedy. What confused me more was people saying "That was really funny" after the viewing. This is hardly a movie and it's hardly a comedy piece. It's a documentary on Dave arranging something that is close to his heart and honest to his feelings. He's allowing the audience, the crowd, his friends, and a random hodge podge of people come together and experience something together. It's full of energy and honesty. I had a smile the entire time I watched this as a result of the many layers this film encompasses.

I highly recommend it.

5/5

what the duck
Feb 27, 2006
Hey you ducks, get off my lawn!
I would rate the percentage of comedy much higher, and by comedy I mean moments of laughter/humor, not moments of stand-up.

About 35% comedy, 60% concert, 5% Bio.
When comedy is getting its turn, it comes fast and hard, and there are even a number of laughs to be had while the musical acts are the focus because of some of the people on stage.

Bonus: I mostly like rock/indie music, but Block Party opened my eyes to some great (and so-not-Nelly) hip-hop artists. When the movie finished, "Tip Drill" had become an even crappier song.
Edit for rating: 4.5/5

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinkied_Brain
Aug 4, 2004

This is mostly concert, with some pretty boring stuff on the side. It's definitely not very funny, but it doesn't try to be funny, so I am not complaining here. But it was just boring...

Go ONLY if you want to see the concert. Don't go expecting the funny or interesting "behind the concert" stuff.

Overall, 3/5